SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
With all these supply chain issues, what weird shortages are you seeing now as of October 2021?

For me it's those blue plastic receptacle boxes at places like Lowes, both "old work" and "new work" type. Usually there are dozens of sizes and types and dozens of each. Last time I was at Lowes, not a one to be found. Confused

For my wife, she can't seem to find juice pouches (like Capri Sun) or juice boxes for the kiddos.

WTF is going on here?

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
There are no shortages I'm aware of around here other than primers.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Report This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Satin and semi gloss paint. Trying to get my house painted and it's out or hard to get everywhere right now locally. Believe it or not we can't get pro-biotics for our dog that needs them for stomach issues. So strange the random crap that is unavailable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Report This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Our Costco has placed a Limit of 1 on a few things, but there's plenty of stock.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No issues. As I said in an earlier thread. I have not had issues obtaining anything I needed during this whole fiasco.
Sure there have been jacked up prices. But other than that it has been pretty normal. If you are low on something. Make sure you have enough of a supply.

Oh, canning lids would be the one thing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Neighbor went to get some black flexible drainage pipe that you bury under ground to divert gutter water. Not available. Was told it was on a ship outside CA waiting to be unloaded.

Posts: 12546 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I like Starbucks chilled “Frappuccino” drinks* and often pick them up at gas stations or convenience stores when traveling. Recently, though, every place I checked was out or have only a couple of bottles of the (evidently) less or perhaps more popular flavors. Even the local supermarket was almost out (although they’re out or almost out of countless things on a regular basis, so that might not be a sign of anything). In any event it was something I noticed and wondered about.

* For the coffee sno …, afficionados: Yes, the fact that I like them is indeed proof that I don’t like the taste of coffee. So there. Razz

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Blue Boxes have been out for a bit, we remodeled the kitchen and no double gang boxes were to be found in the blue work boxes, ended up with a fiberglass double gang, works just as well.

For a while when schools cranked up Gatorade's sugar free drinks disappeared, they are back but not in full supply. Last week the deli at Publix was half full of Boars Head meat selections, they had more this week but less than normal.

Still out of Claussen Garlic and Non Garlic pickles...

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Small (half-sized) cans of Spam. Packets of Temptations (cat treats). Ethyl rubbing alcohol. Bottle (13-oz) of Original V-8 (Spicy available).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Kellog's Cracklin Oat Bran. Can't find it anywhere.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1898 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Common sense

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t looked for primers but if you are asking about shortages of normal use stuff it’s easy. None.

Even the car thing is strange to me. I might not be able to pick my exact car but if I needed a new car I could go down to the Daytona Auto Mall and drive off with basically any car I wanted. Probably pay more than “normal” but what doesn’t cost more today?

The only thing I actually have trouble finding is a sectional couch. Every bit of new furniture we ordered when we bought the new house is here except for on pesky section of our sectional.

I think the “shortages” are being over sold by the media and the public is responding which is kind of a vicious cycle. Creating a shortage where no reasonable reason exists for one.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Parts for my printers.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34068 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Recently tried to buy a refrigerator. All major brands had at least a six month backlog. Sales lady said it was the same chip shortage that is plaguing the auto industry. I don't want my reefer (or my car for that matter) to be smarter than me, just to keep stuff cold.

Posts: 6390 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the weird shortages that I have experienced is a lack of Gatorade, especially the Lemon-Lime stuff.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
Kellog's Cracklin Oat Bran. Can't find it anywhere.

About six weeks ago the stock of Kellogg’s Club Crackers at both of my main grocery stores became spotty too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8832 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Was told it was on a ship outside CA waiting to be unloaded.

This is the start point, it's fucked up logistics systems all over. Just-in-time is great until the wheels fall off somewhere, then you're fucked for a long time.
Now the scramble to get 'important' parts is causing delays/chaos on all the other items that need unloaded/shipped.
It's a shitty situation, then you add CA politics & unions to it. Guess how that's going to go.

Posts: 3296 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Went to the supply house last week for a project for a family member. I've been out of the electrical world since COVID made me realize I needed a career that could never be stopped. I was shocked when I had to go to, two supply houses to get what I needed. One of the items I asked for they just laughed at me and said "Jesse, you've been out of the game too long, we haven't seen those in months."

Electrical boxes were one item, completely out of one gang old work boxes at my first stop. That was Capital Electric a national large electrical supplier.

Another odd thing, three places to find a post for a post light the week before that. I was able to secure the *only one* in my local area.

Signs are back up at Costco and grocery stores limiting toilet paper again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20739 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
more like item count packaging

like they won't have a 8-count box of something only the 20-count box

outright 0 QTY shortages not seeing too much of

although coated paper plates were gone from a few places a couple weeks ago now that i think about it

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Cat food

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post