SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Probably already been listed, but “employees.” I ran across this news story today.

quote:
Initial filings for unemployment claims fell last week to their lowest level in five months, a sign that the labor market is strengthening even as the Federal Reserve is trying to slow things down.

Jobless claims for the week ended Sept. 24 totaled 193,000, a decrease of 16,000 from the previous week’s downwardly revised total and below the 215,000 Dow Jones estimate, according to a Labor Department report Thursday.
- Jeff Cox, CNBC

Huh, wonder why businesses all over town have help wanted signs out, and are begging indulgence from their customers because they can’t fill needed positions? This country isn’t losing population, is it? I don’t begin to understand the dynamics of employment and what people are subsisting on. Somebody explain it to me.

CNBC, Jobless Claims

I think you already know this… These unemployment numbers only report people going on unemployment insurance compensation. It does not count all the people like myself who have bounced out of the labor market.

Male labor participation rates have been steadily declining since the 1960s. We are at record lows at this point.

I don’t think it’s a good thing.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Probably already been listed, but “employees.” I ran across this news story today.

quote:
Initial filings for unemployment claims fell last week to their lowest level in five months, a sign that the labor market is strengthening even as the Federal Reserve is trying to slow things down.

Jobless claims for the week ended Sept. 24 totaled 193,000, a decrease of 16,000 from the previous week’s downwardly revised total and below the 215,000 Dow Jones estimate, according to a Labor Department report Thursday.
- Jeff Cox, CNBC

Huh, wonder why businesses all over town have help wanted signs out, and are begging indulgence from their customers because they can’t fill needed positions? This country isn’t losing population, is it? I don’t begin to understand the dynamics of employment and what people are subsisting on. Somebody explain it to me.

CNBC, Jobless Claims

I think you already know this… These unemployment numbers only report people going on unemployment insurance compensation. It does not count all the people like myself who have bounced out of the labor market.

Male labor participation rates have been steadily declining since the 1960s. We are at record lows at this point.

OK, what are those who “bounced out of the labor market” living on?

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene
If you can't find the Siriacha, I can send you some. Just got some, good exp date 2024. Just let me know email in my profile. Instant Karma.

Big Grin I appreciate the offer sir. It's not that serious, even though it really is dangit! What kind of world do we live in where you can't get Rooster in 2022!!!

What hope do we have left for Jetson cars.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
EGGS, why are 2/3 of the shelves empty of eggs and why do they now start at $5 a dozen on up and only have 2-3 varieties of boutique eggs........Did the chickens all fly away or something???

posted Hide Post
Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits are nowhere to be found for the last 3-4 weeks.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

OK, what are those who “bounced out of the labor market” living on?

Good question.

Most of my compadres have retired. We also have other means of income as well as savings.

We also have chickens…Wink

I don’t know necessarily how others do it outside my circles.

But if you go look at labor force participation rates by gender you will see that women have taken over from men in several areas of work.

I have opinions on that; however that’s another thread. I think Mike Rowe has quite a bit to say about this topic.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Airplane oil filters.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Report This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jimmy123x:
EGGS, why are 2/3 of the shelves empty of eggs and why do they now start at $5 a dozen on up and only have 2-3 varieties of boutique eggs........Did the chickens all fly away or something???[/QUOTE

Chickens lay less in colder temps.]

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:

Airplane oil filters.
They appear to be in stock at Aircraft Spruce.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Grease
Auto parts stores, tractor supply, outdoor stores etc... very limited grease available.

I ordered on Amazon, but the Valvoline Full Synthetic is hard to find locally.

Autozone said their supplier is not showing any available...

I live in Northern Virginia (not NOVA) near WV.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Report This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Airplane oil filters.
Was over there Friday evening, they're backordered for several more weeks.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
Grease
Auto parts stores, tractor supply, outdoor stores etc... very limited grease available.

Tubes of grease? Or the little tubs?

Wow that’s crazy.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Airplane oil filters.
Trying to remember, that's for a Cherokee 180? If you need right away, I can check and see if the maintenance guy in the hangar opposite mine has any in stock, I could send you one or two if he has them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Grease

Wow that’s crazy.

14 oz ish tubes for grease guns...

There are some off brands available in some stores, but very few.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Report This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Airplane oil filters.
Trying to remember, that's for a Cherokee 180? If you need right away, I can check and see if the maintenance guy in the hangar opposite mine has any in stock, I could send you one or two if he has them.

Thanks, but I'm leaving town Saturday to go to Bar Harbor. Wife and I look forward to leisurely days hiking Acadia National Park and eating lobster. Smile I ended up simply changing the oil but not the filter. I'm hoping that by the time I need to change it, they'll be available again.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Fry's Food and while it's not a shortage, it's a good thing that Fry's does 3 or 4 times a year.

They offered 18 eggs for free. Absolutely no cost, so I picked up a container.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's a heck of a deal in today's egg market.

Egg prices remained low around here for a while, but the increases have finally hit here too.

I recently saw a dozen eggs for $7.90-something (nearly $8). Granted, they were the hippie organic/free range/non-GMO/fair trade/cage free/cruelty free/gluten free/cholesterol free/lactose free/gun free eggs, but still... That's ridiculous, considering "normal" eggs were around $1/dozen not too long ago.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The house-brand not-from-concentrate orange juice seems to have disappeared from Walmart.

15 or 20 pound bags of inexpensive cat food is not showing up any more. My wife puts this stuff out and enjoys watching the crows eat it during the day, raccoons and 'possums at night, and a couple of neighborhood stray cats that come and go at all hours.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Grease

Wow that’s crazy.

14 oz ish tubes for grease guns...

There are some off brands available in some stores, but very few.

I checked my shop stash, I usually keep 4 or 5 tubes of grease, and a small tub, on hand. Last time I purchased was maybe 5 years ago. My shop/garage is unheated/uncooled. Oddly, the tubes of grease didn't look right, looked like liquid had separated and leaked out. Didn't quite smell right either. I tossed them in the hazardous recycle bin and went to buy some new ones.

Wow! I was shocked at how little was available. I ended up getting 1 tube at Autozone, went to 2 different Napa warehouse stores, finally got 5 assorted 14 ounce tubes stashed in my shop.

Then I decided I might as well buy one of those mini grease guns, the ones that use 3 ounce tubes. What the heck, why not. I was shocked at what those little 3 ounce tubes cost, too.

Anyway, I'm stocked up for a few years now.

I'd better go check my Titebond glue stash in the shop refrigerator, and my other spray lubricants and cleaners, etc. Might as well stock those up too with fresh.

Yeah, crazy, very little stock, expensive prices.

I better get a 6 month supply of kitty food and litter for the kittycritter, while I'm at it.

The times lately, how strange they are.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Asiago cheese. WTF Joe Biden.