SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For All Those Considering Quitting Fakebook: JUST DO IT!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For All Those Considering Quitting Fakebook: JUST DO IT! Login/Join 
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Nuked mine on 11/03/20 for the same reasons others have already stated.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Not calling out anyone in particular here, but the old, tiresome 'I only use it for keeping up with friends and family' is PATHETIC, and a cop out! Do your 'friends and family' not have email, phones, ability to text? Roll Eyes

Oh, and the 'friends' thing...Please! Nobody REALLY has 900+ 'friends' and anyone thinks so doesn't know the definition of the word! It's likely that the majority of most peoples 'facebook friends' do NOT even meet the definition of an acquaintance. Friends are those that will drop what their doing and show up to help you. REAL Friends are there for you when you need them!

If you need to connect with someone, pick up the phone and call them, meet up, have a conversation... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8941 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
A lot of good people use it effectively every day.

Riiiight.

I love the insinuation that we “bad” people just aren’t doing it right.
Roll Eyes

Nope, you can keep your Fakebook, I can get through life just fine without it.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
A lot of good people use it effectively every day.

You're missing the point. The dominant social media, just like the dominant "news" and entertainment media, have been instrumental in trashing our country. When you use them, whether for good, bad, or indifferent, you are aiding their mission of remaking our country in their vision--that being the vision of leftists and tyrants.

It's that simple.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been off FB for 2 years. Four of my adult daughters and my wife on it. My daughters or at least 3 out of 4 are highly addicted to it. I'm not sure they could ever get off it. Of course, back in the day our parents may have said the same about our use of the home telephone as teenagers.

While on FB, I observed more women than men who seem to use it as a mirror and many seemed unable to not codify every hour with some kind of selfie or one-upmanship 'look at us now' pose. I'm glad to be off it.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seayall
posted Hide Post
Never saw a need to belong to it. Just don't have much a need for social media IMO. My wife quit FB about 5 years ago and has never missed it.

Posts: 681 | Location: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Years ago my immediate and extended family got on my case pretty hard about joining FB, which I never did do. Friends did the same as well. Totally refused to do it. My wife did the same. Sometimes I would think that I'm missing something but damn, that's what texting and emails are for. At the time it was not really about the politics and mostly about their apparent (lack of) privacy initiatives that kept us away.

Now years have passed and nearly half of them have booted FB, without so much as a peep out of me cajoling them on the evils of that vile service. Best learning tool was to let them live and learn it for themselves.

Pretty much my situation. I realized even back in the My Space days that these social media platforms were actually counter social and were designed with other means in mind than just providing a platform for people to "socialize".
To me socializing is calling a distant relative when meeting in person isn't practical. Visiting with nearby friends for lunch. Actual voice to voice face to face conversations. There is no substitute for voice inflections and facial expressions.

These social media platforms have facilitated the easy transition for at least many people to accept mask wearing and isolation through social distancing. They are used to looking at people in a little circle of a face portrait on a small screen that is not even recognizable.

The emoji has replaced the spoken word. Intentional misspellings and abbreviations have wreaked havoc on the English language especially for the kids. All part of dumbing down. And now free speech is not allowed on these platforms. I don't understand how you can participate in these social platforms where freedom of speech is blatantly stripped from you. Why would you give you're consent to let these people have that power over you when it's so easy to walk away from them. Is it because if you can't say it on Facebook or Twitter no one will ever hear you? People have been conditioned to think it's the only form of communication that exists.

Data harvesting is for many more reasons than to just follow you around the internet trying to get more sales ads in front of you. These platforms have far and away too much power. I wish Trump could have found a way to regulate them but it was too late. Had he won the election he surely would have which is why these tech giants did their part in seeing there was no possible way for him to win. This current administration will only enable these platforms to continue to suppress free speech. Their power comes from the number of people who continue to use them. The fewer people who participate the less power they have.

Just like we need to get every single person we can to continue to vote we need to get as many people as possible off these social platforms and diminish their power as much as possible.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I use it to chat with people I enjoy, but don't know well enough to call. I see pictures of my friends and family. Cute animal photos and funny jokes and memes. I also keep in contact with others in my profession. It can be very valuable to me for that - I can ask for information and experience that I don't have in some professional groups I am a member of.

What I don't do is argue about politics (or anything else) there.

I delete anyone who annoys me too much, and all is well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Quit 2 years ago. Much happier.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7962 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
It is your patriotic duty to report anyone on Farcebook who says this is no longer a free country. Fact-checking commissars are monitoring all state-approved social media platforms for your convenience.

Posts: 4724 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've been off for about 5 years now. Makes me sick to even think about getting back on.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post