SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    P229 “Build Kit” Karma: Leemur Wins, update in OP
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 “Build Kit” Karma: Leemur Wins, update in OP Login/Join 
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted
Karma Picker says Leemur takes this one. I'm sorting through the parts to see how many complete sets are "workable," and if possible second/third/etc runners-up may be getting emails.

When my agency "excessed" our old P229s, the only authorized dispositions were-- thanks, Obama administration-- a) transfer to another Fed agency, b) transfer to a foreign government via DoD/DoS, or c) destruction. Popularity for the .357 was waning, so the only guns saved from shredding were the P239s that another small agency wanted.

---------------------------

Years back, I came into a few complete sets of used P229 parts; internals, slides, barrels, and grips. I hoped to find a stripped frame for a rebuild of what had been my favorite duty weapon, a .357 SIG P229 that was unfortunately “sentenced to the shredder” by agency policy, but no luck. The search fell by the wayside until one of SigForum’s walking SIG reference libraries, 12131, posted this thread in December about his own recent build on a Matrix Precision/Revenant Arms REV228 "100%" frame.

Pay dirt.

A week later, my “E2”-style REV228 frame arrived at my FFL. Three weeks after that, the slide returned from a Nitron vacation at SIG in New Hampshire. The result was this:

… the “fraternal twin” of my old friend. Aside from the slide refinish, a thorough cleaning of the internals, and a fresh set of SigLite sights, it’s indistinguishable from what I turned in for destruction. It’s now riding in the same Mitch Rosen leather I wore 20 years ago, and it’s like dancing with an old partner. Fit and finish of the Revenant frame was flawless.

Up for grabs is one of the remaining build kits, consisting of everything—except the frame—to build a .357 SIG “cousin” of this one. If you’re an armorer, or know one, or are technically inclined and can follow online instructions/videos, you’re in luck. Winner will be chosen by Karmanator next Sunday or the following Monday. Only qualifications are 1) Be a posting participant on SigForum prior to today, and 2) Post a photo of the finished product once you build it, because these guns are unspeakably cool.

These parts will work on any “legacy” 40/357 frame, or on the Matrix Precision/Revenant Arms REV229 or REV228 frames (if you go the REV228 "no rail" route, be sure to request the E2 style magwell for use with 40/357 mags.).

Thanks again to 12131 for his spotlight on the REV frames, and for his years of contributions and unbelievably generous Karma offerings. He’s a first-rate example of why SigForum is a jewel on the ‘webs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DennisM,

Posts: 2457 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I’ll take craptastic spot number one.
I need a 228/9 and a .357 Sig.
Sounds like a good way to get there.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Unlucky number two - ever since I saw 12131's post, I've had a hankering to give this a try.
Waiting the interminable wait here in the Peoples Republic for my Permit to Purchase a Handgun, so I can pick up the Revenant frame waiting for me at the LGS.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! I would love to build one of these. Please add me to the drawing.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please add my name.
If I win, I will post a photo when it is built.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in!!!

The P229 is my favorite platform for the 357 Sig. I have a pile of lonely brass and dies for her feeding pleasure besides a decent stockpile of range and duty ammo for her.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
This looks like an interesting project for a retired old fart, such as myself. Please include me in your 229 project karma.

Posts: 787 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK I don't know what unlucky spot I'm in, but I'm in.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Always intended to get a 228 but never got the chance while I had the scratch. I could move some stuff around and afford a frame though. Please count me in for a chance and thanks!

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please count me in. Thanks

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Please count me in.

Thanks.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I qualify and would appreciate being added. Thx!

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a blast, and thanks for the fun chance!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a great karma! Please include me, and thanks for the opportunity.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have the chance to build a P229.

Please add me. Thanks!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm not in for the karma but I just want to revel in the achievement of your quest. That accomplishment must have given you great satisfaction. Well done!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Count me in , please!
A P229 was my first Sig, want.
Feel in love with a P229 SAS E2, but couldn't swing the $1,100 list price at the time, in my broke college student state.

Would love to do a metal 357Sig cousin to my P320.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Please count me in. Just the gun I have been salivating over.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Oh my, I want in and this totally a project I would knock out quickly and show off here.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Please count me in as well. I stupidly sold off my 357 Sig SAS and would love to build out a cousin to yours. My favorite 357 platform.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post