SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Misattributed quotes on the pages of SIGforum
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misattributed quotes on the pages of SIGforum Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The "rifle behind every blade of grass" by Admiral Yamamoto. Problem is, there's no record of him ever saying it.

Q

Posts: 26307 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
I've found Quote Investigator to be quite useful in this area.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 645 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ I agree. They went deep in investigating the Edmund Burke's "triumph of evil" quote, but in the end, they still couldn't come up with the definitive answer.

Q

Posts: 26307 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let’s see if my signature has proper linked attribution.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Like trusting the internet to tell you what's true or not on the internet, the problem is the problem.

"The truth is just a lie that hasn't been found out."

(In my head I'm quoting Christopher Walken's Bernard Osterman, but I may be quoting Robert Ludlum)

Posts: 21089 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Once I saw a recording of Lincoln being asked by Mary Todd if the dress she wore made her backside look big whereupon he hesitated to answer for fear of lying and of telling the truth. She spun 180 in a huff and left him stammering alone in the room. I'm sure that happened. I saw it on YouTube.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para
Do you happen to remember what you said about not re living a similar experience twice in a life time ?

Something about crossing a river
Not being the same .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54589 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The one I remember was something like, “We [can?] never step into the same river twice.”
Without searching and then probably coming up with an inaccurate attribution, if I cited it, I’d express it as “something like” and not pretend I knew who originally said it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Understood and thank you.

I do chuckle on social media how many memes expound a pithy thought along with an image of, say, Morgan Freeman, thereby seeming to attribute the quote to Mr. Freeman or whomever is pictured.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The one I remember was something like, “We [can?] never step into the same river twice.”
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus, Greek Philosopher, c. 500 BC.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus, Greek Philosopher, c. 500 BC.

Thanks for that. Smile

(I found it interesting that I remembered the river, but not the man part—which is the more important as an observation about us all.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Find myself doubting Gandhi ever said “We need guns, lots of guns! but have no doubt about the Dalai Lama meme regarding the misnamed Mozambique Drill.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12103 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks,
I am pretty sure that's the one

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54589 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Mike Rowe talked about this concept (memes using his image with a fabricated statement).

He gets a significant amount of messages regarding it. What do folks do when it is not their saying but people create a meme with them and a statement going along with it.

Every industry has this crap

One of my favorites is Dales Cone of Experience . You know, You remember 10% of what you hear, 20% of what you see etc.
It has been in countless professional development presentations. In fact it was in one of mine. I realized I did not have a good citation and was checking it out. (if you think about it, nothing in social science statistics ever lines up 10%, 20% etc. that was a big red flag to me)
Turns out it is mostly made up.

People keep citing it, and quoting it and it grows more complex every year. It just wont die.
Dales Cone - a medical education literature review.
The dangers of misleading information - a blog

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3586 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Confucius say said he got that all the time too.

Posts: 27913 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The Big List of 47 linked by Para lists Armstrong’s famous “misquote” as follows: “That is one small step for man….” Armstrong originally intended to say “for a man” but left the “a” out when he made his famous announcement to the world. If you watch the video I attached and go to about 1:14 into the clip, you can hear what I am saying.

However, I’m not sure one should say Armstrong misquoted himself as he had never said this before 7.20.69. He may have intended to say “for a man” but he didn’t. And just because you intended to say something doesn’t mean that is what you did - we see that all the time in politics and then the scrambling by PR and media directors to try and fix what was said.

I guess what I am getting at is that even sources that may seem impeccable may be wrong and going to the original source material is the safest best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwZb2mqId0A

Posts: 12453 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I watched the Moon landing live and even then and later as I heard the replays it seemed to me as though there was a brief distortion in the audio just as Armstrong stepped down and made his “for a man” statement. Anyone who has ever been involved with radio communications knows that that’s possible, and it was more likely half a century ago.

In addition, it’s not uncommon for people to not express the word a very clearly and to run it together with the following word. “A man” very often comes across as “aman,” with little emphasis on the a. That’s something that even some fiction writers recognize and write dialogue as “ah man,” to show that it’s common for people to not clearly enunciate the indefinite article. I strongly doubt that I’m the only person who has ever expressed himself like that or heard other people do it. It’s easy enough to not hear the a in face to face conversations, much less in a radio transmission from the Moon.

It’s absolutely possible that Armstrong said “a man,” but the article didn’t come through in the transmission for either or both of those reasons, and I find it odd that anyone would dispute his claim.

And one of the things that helped enshrine the “for man” interpretation was the TV commentator’s immediate repetition of what he thought he heard. Who could possibly doubt what “The most trusted man in America” said was true? Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
One of my favorites is Dales Cone of Experience . You know, You remember 10% of what you hear, 20% of what you see etc.
It has been in countless professional development presentations. In fact it was in one of mine. I realized I did not have a good citation and was checking it out. (if you think about it, nothing in social science statistics ever lines up 10%, 20% etc. that was a big red flag to me)
Turns out it is mostly made up.

People keep citing it, and quoting it and it grows more complex every year. It just wont die.
Dales Cone - a medical education literature review.
The dangers of misleading information - a blog
I was unaware of the scope of the problem but I can't say I'm all that surprised. Imagine how far out of range all this will be in a couple of decades. Throw this emerging "AI" stuff into the mix and it may end up that the next generation of internet users might not be able to trust any information they find online.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107435 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I was unaware of the scope of the problem but I can't say I'm all that surprised. Imagine how far out of range all this will be in a couple of decades. Throw this emerging "AI" stuff into the mix and it may end up that the next generation of internet users might not be able to trust any information they find online.

I can't even imagine. I was having a conversation with another forum member last night about some things I specifically remember reading about from late 2017. Almost all of it has been memory-holed. Coming generations, if they have any sense, will turn back to actual physical copies of books for information that can't be readily manipulated. They'll have to.

Posts: 17098 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" or any of its listed variations.

Misattributed to Jefferson. If you think about it, our Founding Fathers were much too eloquent to use such a colloquial term as “beauty” that we use now to describe a concept.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5154 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post