SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Misattributed quotes on the pages of SIGforum
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misattributed quotes on the pages of SIGforum Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
The Big List of 47 linked by Para lists Armstrong’s famous “misquote” as follows: “That is one small step for man….” Armstrong originally intended to say “for a man” but left the “a” out when he made his famous announcement to the world.

He may have intended to say “for a man” but he didn’t.

Thanks for the link, but I don't need to listen to it again. I heard it live.

Hopefully the other 46 are right. But it's the Internet...Caveat browser! Wink

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I just learned of a variation on the “rough men” and “sleep safely” quotation as I was finishing The Man With the Poison Gun. The author, Serhii Plokhy, quotes a line from John le Carré’s novel The Spy Who Came in From the Cold: “We do disagreeable things so that ordinary people here and elsewhere can sleep safely in their beds at night.”

I read the le Carré novel, originally published in October 1963, some time ago, but didn’t remember that line.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on this one?

The chains of habit are too light to be felt, until they are too strong to be broken.

I heard Warren Buffett say it,
But he didn't
Know who coined it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54679 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
There’s an interesting one that a member here uses “from Cicero” that mentions something about a balanced budget, public debt repaid, and aid to foreign lands curtailed.

Only minor issue is that a. Cicero never said that and b. Rome didn’t send “aid” to foreign lands. If anything, tribute was received FROM foreign lands - it’a basically a nice neohistorical view of America as a reincarnation of Rome and attempting to match current to ancient history.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
“America is about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-assed speed”

Eleanor Roosevelt

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
America is all about speed, fast, dirty, badass speed." -Elizabeth Roosevelt A line from the movie Talladega Nights

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
This has been a favorite of mine recently:

I believe it fits into the context of this thread quite well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post