SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SUVs - who makes the most reliable cars nowadays?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUVs - who makes the most reliable cars nowadays? Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted
I'm looking to get a backup for my 2010 Honda Pilot, just to have a second option in case I'm working on either vehicle, or in the case of some recent personal events, need to loan one out for a week or so.
Would prefer an SUV, can be small or large in size, but lean toward smaller.

Looking at used with a budget of ~$32k, with an emphasis on reliability over gizmos and flashy.
I'll be writing a check, so none of the leases or low interest rate BS applies. When I look at options from various brands, it starts looking like all the manufacturers have their share of both minor and major complaints and issues. Even the current offerings from Honda.

What does the hive think?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our family owns three Kia's.

Get a Toyota.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Toyota.

A used 4Runner would be a solid vehicle in that price range.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota hands down. 4Runner would be my choice.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
4Runner would be a solid choice [/echo]

Very few problems with our Flex up until right before we traded it in. It was a 2013 SEL FWD. Developed a hot start issue where it was hard to start after it sat out in the heat all day.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Very current video, 2 weeks ago.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Toyota for sure. Our FJ Cruiser and 4Runner have been fantastic and we are at 230,000 and 170,000 miles on each with little to no trouble.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Can't buck the trend, man.

If my old Pathfinder ever dies (323K miles now), I'll be 4Runner shopping.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing a whole lot of 4Runners out there, a TON of RAV4's seem to be for sale...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
A colleague drives a Toyota Rav 4. He has two of them, and has owned two others before that. He says they are dead nuts reliable. I've ridden in his, it's comfortable. Nothing exciting, but it will get you where you want to go without fuss.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, Toyota/Lexus.

Posts: 9519 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the long term reliability personally, but this article (a bit dated) that crowned the 4Runner "the Undisputed Champ" of reliability influenced my decision to buy a 2019 4Runner:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/m...ng-consumer-reports/

Previously we had a 2011 Outback that damn near stranded us about 800 miles from home. The experience left me looking for reliability over all else. Like you, I wasn't interested the bells and whistles so we ended up with the base model SR5 which has all the features we need. It only has 25K on it so far and it's been great.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2015 Mazda CX-5 for my wife in September 2014. We liked it so much the next year I bought a 2016 Mazda CX-3 for my work commute.
We're still driving them and like them just as much. Not a single problem with either.

I'm a Mazda convert.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yota.
I've got guys in my club with 300K miles.
I'm only @ 120K and zero issues. FJs rule!

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another very happy 4Runner owner. Gas mileage could be a bit better but I would buy again. Previous one was a 15 Trail, present is a 17 Limited. Really like the tractability of the full time 4wd in inclement weather of which we have plenty in Iowa.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Lexus NX 275 hp, turbo. I like small cars, and comfort. I got almost list in trade for my 2017 Subaru Forester. Very little pain going into the Lexus.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you don't need off road performance, the Toyota Highlander is a Camry with an SUV body. I have a 2010 that is smooth, comfortable, useful, and reliable with a 4 cyl giving 26 mpg.

A recent Honda CRV would also be a good choice.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 4Runner.
I have a 2020 Venture and couldn't be happier.
As far as I know, 4Runners are still made in Japan.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It's more of a "crossover", but I have a 2011 Toyota Venza and really like it. Toyota stopped making them for a while, but they went back into production a couple of years ago.

This is the EXACT model I have...color and everything. Search "2011 Toyota Venza Images".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3rd and 5th gen 4Runner owner here.
The 4Runners are still built in Japan at either the Tahara or the Hamura plant. Tahara is where all Lexus SUVs are built and the Hamura plant is where the Hiluxes are built. USA Toyota plants have great build QA but the vehicles coming out of the Japanese plant are still better on average than the USA counterparts.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post