SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SUVs - who makes the most reliable cars nowadays?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUVs - who makes the most reliable cars nowadays? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Venza is now a hybrid. Two Toyotas-2002 and 2006. I think the build quality has dropped on the new ones, but ,maybe still best out there

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mazda. Best bang for the buck and they're rated in the top tier for reliability. Choices of CX-3, CX-30, CX-5 (most popular), and CX-9 depending on what size you need. All have 3 levels of trim.

We haven't been disappointed.

Posts: 78 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that you can get a used GX460 for a reasonable cost as compared to a 4Runner. I had a 15 GX and it was dead reliable, even as an off roader. I bought a new 21 4Runner ORP and that has been bulletproof as well for 50k so far. I do all my own maintenance. As mentioned, they are both still made in Japan. The GX had more goodies to it but we are just as pleased with our 4Runner.
Good luck.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grab a 4Runner while it still has the 4L v-6.

They are slated for a refresh and will get a different motor

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. We lemon lawed our Hyundai Santa Fe. Freaking thing wouldn't stop slamming on brakes while driving down the road.

Just driving along and the brakes would lock up. Dash would light up with a billion warning lights. They couldn't fix it over x3 trips back to Hyundai over x3 months after we bought it. Of course after we started the lemon law process & filing paper work. Took them 9 months to cut a check to buy it back. Really soured me on Hyundai as a whole.

We had owed a Tuson & Genesis G80 previously. Not sure I'd buy another.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8854 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
We have two Rav4s, a 2016 and a 2017 (both hybrids), and neither has been in the shop except for scheduled maintenance.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Landcruiser

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd consider a Toyota.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Toyota - I get 37 MPG on a 21 Highlander Platinum Hybrid.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've owned a 2016 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring for 6 months and absolutely love it. 4cyl turbo with big torque - very quick and handles great. I've owned multiple Pilots and love them - I like this Cx9 better. Give them a look.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Keep in mind that you can get a used GX460 for a reasonable cost as compared to a 4Runner. I had a 15 GX and it was dead reliable, even as an off roader. I bought a new 21 4Runner ORP and that has been bulletproof as well for 50k so far. I do all my own maintenance. As mentioned, they are both still made in Japan. The GX had more goodies to it but we are just as pleased with our 4Runner.
Good luck.

Was re-reading this thread & had this thought as I was going through pg 1
I looked for a GX for a bit & found quite a few with reasonable pricing.
Ended up in a much newer Explorer. The RWD I4T is a lot less thirsty on 87 than the 4wd V8 on 93.

Also, keep in mind that the 4.7 V8 is a timing belt engine, so plan that maintenance into the mix as well.
The 4.0 V6 is a chain, I believe.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I've owned a 2016 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring for 6 months and absolutely love it. 4cyl turbo with big torque - very quick and handles great. I've owned multiple Pilots and love them - I like this Cx9 better. Give them a look.

My neighbor just traded in her 4Runner TRD-OR for a CX9
They wanted the 3rd row & couldn't find a decent deal on a new T4R

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm going to reiterate, again, that a 4Runner would be the most reliable SUV in the stated budget.

First, it's body on frame truck. Things like suspension components are going to be bulky, old school, reliable things that aren't compromised for the sake of compact undercarriage packaging.

Second, the 4Runner is a dinosaur by modern standards. It's got a 4.0L V6 that puts out a modest 270HP and a 5 speed transmission. This isn't a strung out 2.4 turbocharged 4 banger mated to a CVT that gets 27mpg while still putting out 250hp. It's slow, gets poor gas mileage, but this engine and transmission is old school reliable.

Third, this vehicle is in it's 5th generation, which was released in *2009*. Buying a used 2019 means that they've had a DECADE to shake out all the problems.

Forth, it's a true selectable 4x4. You aren't using all 4 wheels unless you put it into 4 wheel gearing. This isn't an AWD that is constantly looking to put down power to all 4 wheels in case of slip. Rear wheel drive until you tell it otherwise.

Fifth, aftermarket support is great. IF anything ever goes bad on this vehicle, internet instructions exist for every repair you can imagine and you can get better-than-OEM parts for relatively little cost. Again, because of the long product cycle, you aren't going to try to find some obscure part for a car that gets a model update every 3 years.

Reliability comes with some trade offs. First, the car IS a dinosaur. Something like an 8 or 10 speed transmission would be an improvement. Body-on-frame construction means that the interior is cramped for the size of the vehicle--a Highlander would be an improvement in usability. Interior materials look like something from, well, 15 years ago. And lastly, it'll be expensive as compared to other cars of the same year and mileage due to perceived value (because of its reliability). A $100,000 Mercedes Benz S550 with 150k miles and 10 years under its belt would probably cost less than a $45,000 4 runner with the same miles and years if purchased today. Personally, as someone who can work on cars himself, I'd go with the S550, but that's just me.

Anyway, that's the most reliable car under $35,000. If you could double that budget, a lightly used Toyota Landcruiser would probably be the only car that could beat the 4Runner for reliability. The Landcruiser is engineered from the outset to last 25 years and well over 300,000 miles.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vehicles are so subjective, that, IMO, you gotta go try a recommended one for yourself.

Ideally, you would rent the model you THINK you want for a short time, like a month or so, and then decide. But, though I have always planned to do just that, sadly I never did. I came, I saw, I paid has always been the way it worked for me.

That said, We have a CX-5 (we had two, but it was just tooooooo small for me to get all the stuff I want to load in to it). My wife's, a '20, is wonderful, but too small still for my taste.

I have a '21 Pilot, a very nice SUV-will hold and haul everything I will ever want to haul.

I used to favor Pathfinders, and had two that were perfect for everything, but heard the quality was down in the last few years, we rented one when we went to Houston last fall for a couple of weeks. We really liked it. I would not feel badly if I bought another Pathfinder.

Many friends have had Toyota 4Runners, and all of them love or loved them. I was gonna buy one, but the Dealership was just too busy to wait on me, so I bought another brand of Japanese SUV.

I only buy Japanese-I have had American in the past and none of them was any good at all. I'm sure many of you have American and think they are great, but my experience causes me to avoid them like the plague.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I'm not seeing a whole lot of 4Runners out there, a TON of RAV4's seem to be for sale...

From what I've been able to read/watch around the internet, Toyota has made very few changes to the 4Runner and the Tacoma. They've just tended to fix whatever didn't work and keep everything else the same. As a result, the designs of both are very old, but rock solid reliable.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at used with a budget of ~$32k, with an emphasis on reliability over gizmos and flashy.

Just to see what's out there went to Carmax to see what's offered, the 4Runner in your budget range $28 - $32K are all high mileage vehicles. 80 to 100+K and various years.

Yes there are other sources, but, Carmax has a good search feature, and you can get a good idea since it gives you vehicles from Coast to Coast and in-between.

Incidentally, 4 runners are not classed as SUV's if you search that it's Rav4's CRv, etc.

4 Runner link

Checked Honda Pilot, since you have one you like, for $32K you can get a 2019 with 17K miles, there are several with super low miles.

Honda Pilot Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I'm not seeing a whole lot of 4Runners out there, a TON of RAV4's seem to be for sale...

From what I've been able to read/watch around the internet, Toyota has made very few changes to the 4Runner and the Tacoma. They've just tended to fix whatever didn't work and keep everything else the same. As a result, the designs of both are very old, but rock solid reliable.

Tacomas got a refresh in 2016 and no longer have the 4L motor the Gen 2’s did. The new 3.5 is just OK in my opinion in comparison. 4Runners basically have mechanically been the same since 2009

I had a 17 Tacoma and now have a 20 4Runner

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Much thanks and good info, guys.
Still plodding around the web, including Carmax, probably pull the trigger in the next week or so.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've been extremely happy with my 2017 Honda Pilot. 60,000 miles and nothing but standard maintenance so far.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for a belt change om the Honda ?

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post