SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SUVs - who makes the most reliable cars nowadays?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUVs - who makes the most reliable cars nowadays? Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Honda's have a required belt change based on mileage or age. Possible interference engine make belt change non negotiable

Yes the 3.5L 6 cyl does require a belt change at 105k miles recommended interval. Kind of a pain but I can get Asin tbelt/tensioner/water pump installed by an independent garage for $700 and dealer for $950. I recently had dealer do my 08 Ridgeline and $950 otd with a new CRV loaner.

I love the Toyota 3.5L. I've got it in a 2011 Avalon and it's fast and 27mpg hwy. Same engine in a 2015 Sienna awd and plently of power. No t-belts to change on a yota either.

Test drive the Mazda Cx9 w/2.5L turbo - it's a runner Cool

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I've owned a bunch of 4Runners over the years. They are incredibly reliable. But they cling to the 5 speed auto when most of the market has moved on. And the MPG suffer as a result. But the 3.4 Six is a workhorse and they have gone to a timing chain rather than belt. Can't recall in what year. The Entune infotainment interface sucks ass. Apple CarPlay available in later model years. One of the few vehicles I think that a certified preowned premium is a waste of $$$. The Limited trim level has a suspension that is not shared with any of the other variants and it makes for a cushy ride for long hours.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of the list of candidate vehicles - Lexus GX, RX, NX and Toyota Sequoia, 4Runner, Highlander and Rav4, I would say the Lexus RX would be your best options. (Our extended families have owned all of these models.) It would be the right balance of reliability, on road long distance comfort, drivablities (sp?), gas mileage, interior space and used car price. Even thought I love our 4Runners, I would say the RX is the best option if you do not need the off road capabilities of the 4Runner. The used car market is flushed with these as it is a very popular family SUV so the used prices wont be too inflated. For the budget you wanted, you should be able to get into one that is 2-3 years old with around 50K miles easily in AL. 3 year old used vehicle is the magic mark for low mileage and price since the original owner already took most of the depreciation hit.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second Acura MDX, and my wife and I have had multiple other Hondas or Acuras. I can't recommend them highly enough.

We have had very few issues with them, an keep them well-maintained.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that SUV's are NOT Cars, they are giant moving road blocks that suck gasoline and won't go around a corner at any speed higher than a slow walk. The Cadillac Escalade's are the worst, grossly expensive and people driving them try to save on gasoline by taking 1/2 mile to get up to 35 MPH.

IF you want a Car, then get a Car. Preferably something a lot of fun to drive, such as a classic BMW 2002 Tii, quick enough to be fun and nimble as a 6 month old cat. If you want something newer then I would suggest a late model Ford Taurus SHO, they border on scary fast and are pretty good in the corners. I would also suggest a C4 or later Corvette but they just don't have enough capacity for luggage or gun cases.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I think that SUV's are NOT Cars, ...
car n. An automobile

automobile n. a passenger vehicle designed for operation on ordinary roads and typically having four wheels and a gasoline or diesel internal-combustion engine.

Thus an SUV IS a car, regardless of what you think.
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
... they are giant moving road blocks that suck gasoline and won't go around a corner at any speed higher than a slow walk.
There's this road, nearby, that has four traffic circles on it. I love 'em because, when traffic's light, I can slalom through them... in my Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV, which has surprisingly firm handling.

Besides: Different people have different needs and desires. My needs and desires are for storage capacity, snow and off-road performance, and towing capacity. So I drive a capable SUV.

It is a bit of a gas-guzzler, though, but, that's what you get with a 5.7L HEMI

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Taurus SHO
Respectfully, if you're going to rail on SUV's as being "giant moving road blocks that suck gasoline" and then recommend an SHO, your argument is invalid. Razz

My current Honda Pilot gets at least similar mileage to an SHO, and it is rather large. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone recommended a Toyota 4Runner yet?
As the last respectable driver of the vehicles I purchase, new for the last couple, these trucks satisfy all my needs for winter performance, towing a boat, and hauling the family on holiday. For better or worse, its also my daily driver, but low miles in that service.

Owned a '92 3.0L 5 speed manual, what a capable vehicle though smaller back then.
Own an '04 4.7L V8 4WD 175K (all time) model, powerful, smooth and capable. Now my teen's car, its a vehicle that no one ever sells.
Recently purchased a '23 4.0L V6, 4WD on selection. Both refined and simple, clearly of the lineage. Moderately disappointed by the difference between V6 and V8, but latter not an option and likely wouldn't be aware if I didn't drive that V8 to know the difference.

I saw a couple 3.5L references or similar. Don't believe thats ever been a 4R option, or at least not this millennium.

ElToro's last line bears repeating:
"The reason Toyota sells as many as they make and doesn’t have to upgrade their engine trans combo or put anything fancy in the interior is becuase the demographic that wants this rig doesn’t want that. We want solid off road performance off the lot and dead nuts reliability. It’s a kooky phenomenon that not very many car models enjoy."

Posts: 73 | Registered: February 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful with RAV4. Certain model years are worse than others. Found this out while looking for one for my spouse.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Two 4Runners and a handful of Mazdas. Only cars I would consider for reliability.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
A true SUV is built on a truck frame.

What Is the Difference Between Crossovers and SUVs?

While consumers and automakers alike use the terms interchangeably - which is unsurprising given the many styling similarities they share - key differences do exist. Put simply, a crossover is lighter and built on a car platform, while a traditional SUV is heavier and uses a truck chassis. There are, however, a few additional things to help you differentiate between these two unique vehicle types.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com...0a%20truck%20chassis.

Our Models
As previously stated, the Jeep Cherokee is a Jeep crossover, so is the Jeep Compass, Jeep Renegade, and Dodge Journey. Some SUVs we carry include the Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Jeep Wrangler. Our Dodge dealers serving Skokie, IL will happily walk you through the differences between each model and help you consider which one might best fit for your budget and your lifestyle.

https://www.fieldschryslerjeep...nd%20Jeep%20Wrangler.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This year and next (2023-24) model years, we will see at least three new model 3-seat SUV's from Honda, Mazda, and Toyota.

The 2023 Pilot, out now, is bigger and has better off-road capability than previous models, due to a new AWD system that is basically like Acura's ASHWD. No hybrid version available, at least for 2023.

Toyota is coming out with a Grand Highlander which is substantially bigger and roomier than the current Highlander (and better looking too). It will have a hybrid version, so fuel economy will be better than the Pilot.

Mazda is coming out with a 2024 model year CX-90 (it will start selling in 2023). It is a very attractive, clean design looking like a luxury model from Audi. There will be a choice between a new inline 6 horizontal engine, and a PHEV (plug-in hybrid) 4-cylinder that will have IIRC >300 effective horsepower. It will not really be built for any significant off-road use; and will probably have less room inside than the two models above. But the PHEV model will be very attractive for those who want a hybrid with great power and unlimited range.

I'm looking at something that will be fun for us to take our grandkids and their parents on road trips, camping, etc. I am looking at one of these vs. our current Honda Odyssey as more suitable for that kind of trip.

All three manufacturers have excellent reliability; Toyota continues to shine in the Consumer Reports ratings, but I've been extremely pleased with our Hondas.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post