SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SUVs - who makes the most reliable cars nowadays?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUVs - who makes the most reliable cars nowadays? Login/Join 
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Just an FYI, I believe 2023 is the last year of the 5-Speed V6 4Runner. I am pretty sure 2024 will be 4-Cylinder Turbo and/or Hybrid using whatever 8-Speed the upcoming 2024 Tacoma uses, which I believe is also ditching the 6-speed V6.

Depending on your timeframe, people could be looking to dump their old gas guzzlers for the new "efficient" model. If they're smart, they won't.

Edited as fake news. Delayed until 2025.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vgex,

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Time for a belt change om the Honda ?

IIRC the J-series V6 in the Honda is a 105k mile interval for TB & water pump (recommended on the WP while it's apart).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
Previously we had a 2011 Outback that damn near stranded us about 800 miles from home. The experience left me looking for reliability over all else. Like you, I wasn't interested the bells and whistles so we ended up with the base model SR5 which has all the features we need. It only has 25K on it so far and it's been great.

WOW - surprised at the lack of Subaru love.
Have had five in the stable here
2000 OB wagon - 365,000mi - bought new/sold
2002 Imprezza - 175,000 -bought used/sold
2009 Forester - 265,000 - CPO - still running
2012 OB wagon- CPO-130,000 mi still running
2018 Forester- bought new - 86,000 mi and running

All have been rock solid.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice above. I have a 4Runner and really like it. Not the best gas mileage, but they get high marks for ultra reliability when properly serviced.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Just an FYI, I believe 2023 is the last year of the 5-Speed V6 4Runner. I am pretty sure 2024 will be 4-Cylinder Turbo and/or Hybrid using whatever 8-Speed the upcoming 2024 Tacoma uses, which I believe is also ditching the 6-speed V6.

Depending on your timeframe, people could be looking to dump their old gas guzzlers for the new "efficient" model. If they're smart, they won't.

The release is being pushed back to late 2024 as a 2025 model. Explanation in the video link.

Automotive Press

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXLe:
The release is being pushed back to late 2024 as a 2025 model. Explanation in the video link.

Automotive Press

Honestly, good news.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At that price point, I'd shop for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

Thinking it would be a lot more fun anyway.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he is seeking reliability he probably shouldn't be looking at Jeeps.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate to pile on but we have a ‘12 4runner with 105k on it. AC blower getting wonky but no engine issues. 4wd with 3rd row seats. Wife wants a replacement same thing. Still LOW inventory around here. Trade value is respectable even with that mileage.

The reason Toyota sells as many as they make and doesn’t have to upgrade their engine trans combo or put anything fancy in the interior is becuase the demographic that wants this rig doesn’t want that. We want solid off road performance off the lot and dead nuts reliability. It’s a kooky phenomenon that not very many car models enjoy.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No offense but aside from the hipster kids putting a monster exhaust and slamming their WRX, when I see Subaru I immediately have a mental picture of the driver and their politics. I’m usually not disappointed It’s a terrible character flaw of mine. I’m sorry. My buddy was the service manager at a dealer for years and they are great cars. If I was much older/less agile and lived in a place with snowy roads for half the year and didn’t want a rig that was 7-8 feet tall and required a step up to get into I’d consider as a great alternative for AWD car

quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
Previously we had a 2011 Outback that damn near stranded us about 800 miles from home. The experience left me looking for reliability over all else. Like you, I wasn't interested the bells and whistles so we ended up with the base model SR5 which has all the features we need. It only has 25K on it so far and it's been great.

WOW - surprised at the lack of Subaru love.
Have had five in the stable here
2000 OB wagon - 365,000mi - bought new/sold
2002 Imprezza - 175,000 -bought used/sold
2009 Forester - 265,000 - CPO - still running
2012 OB wagon- CPO-130,000 mi still running
2018 Forester- bought new - 86,000 mi and running

All have been rock solid.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, I have owned 3 Subarus. Still own 2 of them. No issues reliability wise. The one I got rid of had a wonky electric lift gate that they were changing out one part at a time to fix and I got impatient and traded it in for a Crosstrek which is what I wanted anyways in the first place. Happy with both Crosstreks.

I had a RAV4. Great car/suv/whatever that had a tiny engine for size and a horribly shifting auto transmission. Always drove like it needed 50 more horses. Every shift also felt like a jolt, especially under any throttle input. I am sure it would drive forever though

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a RAV4. Great car/suv/whatever that had a tiny engine for size and a horribly shifting auto transmission. Always drove like it needed 50 more horses. Every shift also felt like a jolt, especially under any throttle input. I am sure it would drive forever though
Just to see if I thought I might like one, I test drove 2 of them yesterday from 2 different model years, 2019 and 2020, and they both did that to me as well. Maybe I'm just used to a more forgiving less touchy gas pedal...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I had a Subaru a number of years ago. It was the worst of the 38 vehicles I have owned. Never again.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, 38 vehicles. You win lol. Do you keep them long? I am 56 and even counting my wife's and all the kid cars I am only at 13.

Back to the RAV. I wanted to love that vehicle. It was gorgeous. Two tone paint, white over grey, great looking black and orange interior (Adventure series I think?). Wonky tailgate that wouldn't open every couple days that the dealer insisted was "normal". Finally got them to start fixing it but they had lost me by that point. It really was being underpowered and that weird shifting that pushed me to get rid of it.

I know the consensus is CVT transmission suck but I am the outlier. The CVT's I have owned are way better than that auto on the Toyota. Weird.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honda's have a required belt change based on mileage or age. Possible interference engine make belt change non negotiable

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
Honestly - I think reliability these days is not nearly as variable as it used to be among manufacturers. That said - this is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. She'll be 7 in May.

Unless you're off road though, 4Runners aren't the most engaging vehicles. Now, the most well-rounded vehicles I've ever owned have been BMWs:

and while they are much more expensive from a consumables standpoint, reliability really hasn't been an issue.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 Runner. Great vehicle. Reliable. Good off roading capabilities if needed or wanted. My wife is on her second Highlander. Great SUV as well. We tried a Nissan Pathfinder for a while. I thoroughly enjoyed that vehicle. The wife hated it. No issues at all just didn’t like it.

Posts: 4059 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Toyota, for sure.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Rented a 4-runner last summer. Total POS to drive, damn thing couldn't get out of its own way. I will grant that we were at mild altitude in Yellowstone/Grand Teton, but the same 3.5L V6 in my wife's Highlander can't push that vehicle worth a damn. It may be reliable, and if that's the primary criteria, ok, but it sucks as a driver's vehicle, and isn't even good as transportation for a family with baggage.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went through the same process last year. We were replacing an aging Jeep Wrangler and wanted something extremely reliable for a change. The “personality” of a Jeep was getting old. I pushed the wife towards a 4 runner hoping that is what she would want but the more we looked the more she went towards the Lexus GX460. Old school vehicle like the 4 Runner but with a v8. You could probably find a used example in your price range.

Posts: 154 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post