SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Multiple fatalities, 10 injured following fiery crash involving 12 cars, 3 semis on I-70 in Colorado
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple fatalities, 10 injured following fiery crash involving 12 cars, 3 semis on I-70 in Colorado Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, the people responsible for wiping out an entire family in Afghanistan, including seven children, and doing so deliberately, face absolutely zero consequences. Zero.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 is better than 120…boy, will the world have changed when he gets out.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have we ever locked a pilot up for a century for causing deaths?

In a plane crash, the pilot is usually the first to go.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actions have consequences.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

Yep.

Just as we are presently watching people bicker back and forth past one another in the hast to prove themselves right. Critical thinking is about the only thing that took a run away truck lane.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have seen a call for truckers to boycott Colorado because “truckers aren’t murderers.” Well, yeah, he is. I agree the sentence, especially in light of the fact that serious offenses in some jurisdictions goes un-investigated, released without bail, or pardoned without explanation. Still, he killed four and injured many more in an act of extreme negligence. What should happen?

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Would it have been better if he too had died in the fiery wreck? He failed to make prudent decisions and take actions to prevent this horrific event. I think he needs to rot in jail.

If truckers want to boycott the state, great. The traffic here sucks anyway. We won't miss them.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have been conflicted by reading the opposing perspectives in this thread. I think I stand with those who agree with the sentence as handed down. If his actions killed my wife, child or grandchild, I would want his punishment to be hard. This is accepting the info he was negligent or too inexperienced to handle his truck without killing others.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I took a step back and looked at this one. We have a truck that is not completely under the drivers control. He knew that and intentionally bypassed 3 safe guards that could have prevented the accident. My guess is that he felt he could handle the rig until the grade lessened and he could get it under control. Probably not the first one.

Unfortunately in his case the one thing he didn't think about was waiting in front of him. Which is one of the reasons why those ramps are so frequent. Gives drivers the opportunity to bail out as soon as they realize they've lost control. Either due to lack of experience, or age, he didn't consider the result of a 80K lbs. truck slamming into several lanes of parked vehicles at 80 mph.

It's possible he was late and under pressure to deliver, or maybe he was afraid he'd damage the truck on the safety ramp. He failed on both accounts. He never made it, the truck and load were a total loss, and a lot of people here hurt or killed.

Is the sentence harsh for him. Maybe, maybe not. Given the damage that he did and the lives that he impacted, what sentence is enough? It does send a VERY clear message to drivers. Your schedule or potential damage is not worth 110 years in prison... use the ramp.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
If truckers want to boycott the state, great. The traffic here sucks anyway. We won't miss them.
I believe you are wrong. About 70% of all goods in commerce are delivered by truckers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roll Eyes

Seriously?? You really think that you get anything yourself that hasn’t been on a truck? Are you planning on picking up your toothpaste at the rail terminal? Honestly, I don’t get how you can make such a statement.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Considering the volume of products that flow in, and out of the ports in California, that would be a really bad idea. There are enough supply chain problems in this country right now.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
At first blush I think it's on the harsh side, but he had many, many opportunities to drive up the runaway truck ramps and drove by them. That is why they are there. I have driven that stretch hundreds of times. He killed several people due to his own negligence. If he had stayed geared down and not fried his brakes, he would've been fine.

He was negligent and unfortunately deserves the punishment he got.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever made a death notification?

Have you told someone their husband/wife/child is not coming home?

Have you told them the driver of the other vehicle was drunk/driving reckless/on bald tires/speeding/etc. and so on?

Have you ever watched hope disappear from their eyes when you delivered the news?

Have you ever watched a man/women drop to their knees crying then throw up from the news?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ulsterman,

posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop and just across the Wisconsin line there have been 4 killed in truck related crashes in the last few days. The truckers were not at fault. Truckers are kinda like cops. They make news when there is a terrible occurrence but the vast majority of them never make news. But the fact remains that if you are involved in a crash that involves a heavy truck, your chance of death escalates drastically. Simple physics. This crash was horrific, and I do believe he had ample time to use the runaway ramps. So, sentence him in accordance with law, but offer him parole at some point. And prohibit him from driving anything ever again.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you ever made a death nonfiction?

Have you told them the driver of the other vehicle was drunk/driving reckless/on bald tires/speeding/etc. and so on?

Have you ever watched hope disappear from their eyes when you delivered the news?

Have you ever watched a man/women drop to their knees crying then throw up from the news?

Yup. And I agree w/the sentence. It was done in accordance with the local laws and normal sentencing matrix.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

Considering the volume of products that flow in, and out of the ports in California, that would be a really bad idea. There are enough supply chain problems in this country right now.

But, the economy will find a way around it. Being held hostage by anyone wishing not to be held to a standard never works out.

The truck driving profession is one that I’ve watched go down hill in my life time. In my youth I watched my uncle, and other professional drivers, conduct themselves in a certain manner.

Since then the “professional” aspect seems to have disappeared from the profession. This is from side of the road interactions and listening to my uncle and others complain about how far the professional driver has been replaced with a less professional, less well trained staff. The good news is that the truly professional guys can work forever because of their work ethic.

There certainly are professionals still out there, but far and wide the days of old are gone.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Have you ever made a death nonfiction?

Yup. And I agree w/the sentence. It was done in accordance with the local laws and normal sentencing matrix.

I edited my original post to spell the words correctly.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you ever made a death notification?

I have done none of these.

However, according to Aristotle, "The law is reason, free from passion."

Meaning, the law needs to be applied fairly and according to legal precedents, without emotions and feelings exerting undue influence upon the legal process. After all, the sentence for murder of a homeless man should be the same as the murder of, say, the state championship football quarterback or leader of the local girl scout pack. The life of your loved one is just as valuable as the life of my loved one. All lives of crime victims (should) have equal value, though of course some crimes seem far more heinous than others.

In this case, it does seem like a harsh sentence. Yet, he caused those deaths, and apparently had ample opportunity to avoid the accident. By refusing to use the runaway truck ramps (three of them), he CHOSE to risk the lives of everybody on the highway. He gambled with others' lives, and lost. He must now pay the penalty of his actions.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The sentence is beyond absurd, easily 5x or more beyond what's reasonable in any sane world.

Mandatory Minimums (like Zero Tolerance policies) are a hobgoblin of the weak and feeble minded, or those with a vile agenda or three.

We need a dramatic, thorough, overhaul and refinement of the laws and justice system in this country. Some folks have a twisted punishment fetish, to no good effect.

Clean this sort of thing up, top to bottom, really, at all levels. It accomplishes nothing positive, these extremes, sends no meaningful messages.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post