SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Multiple fatalities, 10 injured following fiery crash involving 12 cars, 3 semis on I-70 in Colorado
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple fatalities, 10 injured following fiery crash involving 12 cars, 3 semis on I-70 in Colorado Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
But it was not intentional. I am not a criminal," Aguilera-Mederos said.

The not intentional part is a hard lesson to learn. My answer when one of my kids or students tells me "it was an accident” is always, but you were not trying not to. From memory, this gentleman’s issue was he didn’t try not to run into a bunch of other vehicles. His actions and non-actions alone led to the outcome.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The owner of the trucking company he worked for should share some of that sentence with him.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
^^^^
I had the same thought when I heard the sentence announced.

I'm a tough on crime supporter, and there is no doubt that this man is guilty and was negligent and serious punishment is called for.. but when I think of other incidents involving death and destruction that were committed willfully and intentionally that resulted in either lighter sentences or probation, and considering the examples you give, it seems this man's sentence is excessive.

We had another recent sentence in which a BLM activist shot a motorist in the back of the head, the man survived but with serious permanent impairment. The shooter is a defense attorney and received a plea deal in which all charges related to the shooting were dropped, and instead agreed to plead guilty to tampering with a dead body, and received an 11 year sentence that will likely be reduced by half.

I believe there is a real disparity in how similar crimes are treated in various parts of this country.

I think the widespread media coverage of the crash fanned the flames of public outrage, although apparently sentencing minimums played a part as well.

There is a petition being circulated calling for this truck driver's sentence to be reduced.

Mandatory minimum sentences exist because the electorate doesn't want prosecutors offering light sentences to serious offenders in exchange for guilty pleas and/or judges doing the same thing. Those decrying the disparity between jurisdictions usually are "progressives" upset when convicted offenders are given serious sentences, not so much when they get probation, home detention, or a short period of incarceration. Capital Punishment? It's a "disparity" when one state has it and others don't! In some jurisdictions killing multiple victims doesn't result in more time than killing "only" one innocent person. Are you suggesting that every jurisdiction meet that "standard"?

In Los Angeles County, the current District Attorney was elected because his campaign coffers were increased enormously through funding by George Soros based organizations. Talk about "disparities"! The death penalty (approved by CA voters repeatedly) is off the table, minors are NEVER charged as adults even if they committed multiple serious felonies (such as gang related murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, etc...) and are virtually assured release at age 25, when they're outside the jurisdiction of the juvenile court.

In this case, the electorate of Colorado determined that gross negligence of this level that took the lives of these victims, subjected their family and other loved ones to this trauma and loss, and deprived them of so much, required a measure of justice that you deem inappropriate so easily because you weren't directly effected. The public had every right to be outraged and potential future offenders should damn well take this as a learning moment. If they get behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle, they're responsible for what it can do to others. That means they need to always keep it in proper working order and under their control. There's no way to quantitatively demonstrate how many lives are saved by sending this message, but how does that differ from punishing those who commit murder, robbery, rape, burglary of residences, etc...?

Saying you're a "tough on crime supporter" doesn't mean a thing when your suggestion that a national sentencing standard is somehow appropriate. Who's "standards" will be applied? Those in the jurisdiction where multiple fatalities are caused due to gross negligence and murders inflicted by the "worst of the worst" result in punishment deemed appropriate by local voters or "Progressive" policies set in places like Los Angeles and San Francisco, where the criminal is viewed as a "victim" of societal "inequities"?

I'm sure the petition you're referring to will get lots of signatures from people that don't live in the area where these deaths occurred, weren't effected personally, and aren't educated to the details of the crime, like locals were. The "widespread media coverage" never got to those signing it, but a sanitized version of the story (painting the offender as a victim of judicial oppression) will. "Flames of public outrage" can also be fanned by disinformation on the part of those pushing a pro-offender agenda too and have been for decades. That alone is a good reason why local offenders should be dealt with by the people that live in the general area where the crime(s) occurred. They are vested in the safety of their community, the people living in places like New York City (a great place to circulate such a petition) aren't. Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I tried reading the petition. What a load.

Why are so many trying to get this guy off? It makes no sense.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
110 years for negligence? Wow. If this guy is such a danger to society that he must be locked up for 30 years longer than a human lifespan, wouldn't it be more reasonable to execute him?

This guy panics under pressure and makes a series of errors and that's worse than a gang banger killing multiple people or a pedophile raping a child?

I haven't read the whole thread, can someone explain what he did that was so heinous, evil, wicked, and depraved that it warrants this kind of sentence?

He negligently killed people and they burned to death. No this is not worse than the other crimes you mention. If Colorado doesn't see it that way then they have problems with justice. You should write a letter to them.

Also, I'm not sure why reading this thread is not worth your time, so why comment?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:

Sorry, but I don't think 110 years fits the crime here.

agree

prison time? absolutely

but 110 is not an appropriate sentence IMO

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

They're trying to get him off the hook? I got the impression the petition was to reduce his sentence, not set him free.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of people are missing the fact the guy went past THREE runaway ramps….that’s why he was sentenced to the 110

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
110 years. That's quite a sentence. I'm sorry but that doesn't sound like a just, reasonable punishment. Wow.

Does it?

It’s what the statutes obviously called for by sentencing guidelines.

Now, add in that by most states guidelines, nothing he was convicted of is a “violent” crime. So, by most states guidelines, he’ll only serve 20 percent. If that. So, if he serves out, he’ll serve 20 and some change.

Is 20 years incarceration for all these deaths just to you?

I think it’s more than fair.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Off-topic: how does one have a "Jackknifed school bus"? Was it articulated?

flashguy

Off-topic: you seem to be lacking in reading comprehension.
It didn't read the school bus was jackknifed, jackass..

You are an embarrassment to the State of Texas...

Flashguy is a great member here, one of the best. Your response is rude and out of place.

100%. What an over reaction.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Off-topic: how does one have a "Jackknifed school bus"? Was it articulated?

flashguy

Off-topic: you seem to be lacking in reading comprehension.
It didn't read the school bus was jackknifed, jackass..

You are an embarrassment to the State of Texas...

Flashguy is a great member here, one of the best. Your response is rude and out of place.

100%. What an over reaction.
This was explained on an earlier page. My browser window was narrow and cut off part of the text. Hence the mistake.

Calling me a "great member" etc. may have been over the top--I certainly don't think of myself that way. I have no animosity toward 1lowlife.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
His employer needs some responsibility here. I’d be curious to see the driver’s record, license, and how much he was paid. My gut says his obvious lack of experience made him cheap to hire.

Similar to Baldwin’s production hiring a cheap armorer. (If you’ll pardon the thread drift)

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
110 years for negligence? Wow. If this guy is such a danger to society that he must be locked up for 30 years longer than a human lifespan, wouldn't it be more reasonable to execute him?

This guy panics under pressure and makes a series of errors and that's worse than a gang banger killing multiple people or a pedophile raping a child?

I haven't read the whole thread, can someone explain what he did that was so heinous, evil, wicked, and depraved that it warrants this kind of sentence?

He negligently killed people and they burned to death. No this is not worse than the other crimes you mention. If Colorado doesn't see it that way then they have problems with justice. You should write a letter to them.

Also, I'm not sure why reading this thread is not worth your time, so why comment?

I've read the thread. Maybe I should be more clear. I haven't reread the thread nearly two years later, nor have I followed the case.

No need to be an asshole, you could answer my question or scroll on, but instead you comment this bullshit.

Do you have anything to add that will answer my questions, if not move on.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
His employer needs some responsibility here. I’d be curious to see the driver’s record, license, and how much he was paid. My gut says his obvious lack of experience made him cheap to hire.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect the company had insurance (their responsibility) that paid out here. Short of the company itself having some sort of real negligence, there's nothing criminal that they were involved with.

I'm assuming the insurer knew the driving record of the parties they were insuring. My insurance company does.

I'm assuming the truck had a DOT number, which means the company had to comply with all of those requirements (which includes driving records).

I don't see how the driver's pay makes any difference outside of his level of experience, and of course those with more experience will make more than those with less. Did the driver have a CDL? If that's the case, the state that issued it said he was knowledgeable to drive the truck. Did he have a medical card? If that's the case a doctor said he was fit to drive the truck.

How does one gain experience without starting out at the bottom and working their way up?

That's one of the problems we have as a society. For some reason somebody has to take the blame, especially if that party has money, even if they didn't really have anything to do with the situation at hand. And if the company had anything to do with this, they should have liability. Anybody heard of any accusations of this against the company?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've read the thread. Maybe I should be more clear. I haven't reread the thread nearly two years later, nor have I followed the case.

No need to be an asshole, you could answer my question or scroll on, but instead you comment this bullshit.

I responded to what you said in an equally sarcastic manner, and now I am an asshole.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

They're trying to get him off the hook? I got the impression the petition was to reduce his sentence, not set him free.

The petition was started a couple years ago, shortly after he was charged, and is seeking clemency. Clemency can result in a sentence reduction, sentence commutation, or a full pardon.

I get why family, friends, co-workers would want charges dropped and a full pardon, but the driver is guilty of significant negligence that resulted in multiple deaths and injuries, destruction, and loss of property so a full pardon just doesn't make sense... where would the justice in that be for the victims and their families?

A local radio news update stated the petition was calling for a sentence reduction but, after skimming the petition, it looks like a mixed bag with many signers calling for a full pardon or sentence commutation, or time served.

A lot of truckers and hispanics have apparently expressed support for the driver and have signed the petition.

Millions sign petition to reduce 110-year sentence for truck driver who caused deadly crash

The actual Change.org petition
Offer commutation as time served, or grant clemency to Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Mederos, 23

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I responded to what you said in an equally sarcastic manner, and now I am an asshole.

So still nothing to add? Did he cheat on his CDL test? Was he excessively tired? They said no drugs or alcohol, so what did he do that was so egregious? Being young and panicking? I'm just curious as to why he was sentenced to nearly one and a half lifetimes when people who intentionally commit crimes get far less severe sentences.

I'm not sure what part of my comment you took as sarcastic, but no sarcasm was intended. It's an extremely long term for a traffic accident, even with death and negligence involved. Drunk drivers who are knowingly commiting crimes don't get sentences like this.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you read through this thread you can see that I am not overly sympathetic to this driver. However, 120 seems excessive and will not serve to prevent this in the future. It is purely punitive against an individual more so than a deterrent. I do feel that the state should provide one more ramp below the 470 split in Golden.

There have been many airliner crashes attributable to pilot error or negligence. Have we ever locked a pilot up for a century for causing deaths? I also remember a boat captain of a ferry somewhere in NY? a while ago who crashed while using his phone. Did he also get an extended stay in the cooler? I really don’t know these answers, but I’m wondering if we use the same standards as we do for trucking.

I do know this, at a time when we cannot even get drivers to apply, let alone for us to have a choice, this doesn’t help one bit. I heard that there was a protest of trucks on I70 at the state line. Many truckers are saying they are refusing all freight to CO for the foreseeable future. Interesting times we live in.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a winner between the two. Both lose. I also believe it’s awful harsh.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
4 deaths

10 others injured

a total of 42 counts

I don't think its harsh at all - sucks to be him but a 20 year sentence for killing someone doesn't see unreasonable. Four people 80 years.

I'm glad the sentences are being served consecutively and not concurrently

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post