SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $125 Equifax settlement.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$125 Equifax settlement. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well, the cash is not "now", and a couple of bucks isn't going to buy a whole heck of a lot!

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I did not qualify but a BBF, recently deceased, did. Check in the mail ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Good luck getting any money. There is only $31M available or $125 for 248K claims.

If they can't be trusted the first time, why would you give them your data for a second possible hit??

It may cost them more to mail the check than the amount of the check. Lets see, $31M divided by 147M claims equals 21CENTS !
Mad ............................

Equifax data breach: Pick free credit monitoring
Share this page

July 31, 2019
by Robert Schoshinski
Assistant Director, Division of Privacy and Identity Protection

Just last week, the FTC and others reached a settlement with Equifax about its September 2017 data breach that exposed personal information of 147 million people. We’ve told you to go to ftc.gov/Equifax, where you can find out if your information was exposed and learn how to file a claim with the company in charge of the claims process.

The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming, and we’re delighted that millions of people have visited ftc.gov/Equifax and gone on to the settlement website’s claims form.

But there’s a downside to this unexpected number of claims. First, though, the good: all 147 million people can ask for and get free credit monitoring. There’s also the option for people who certify that they already have credit monitoring to claim up to $125 instead. But the pot of money that pays for that part of the settlement is $31 million. A large number of claims for cash instead of credit monitoring means only one thing: each person who takes the money option will wind up only getting a small amount of money. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn’t been such an enormous number of claims filed.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/b...ee-credit-monitoring

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
If I read this correctly, States will get the Lion share of this money. I have no reason why they should get anything it was the citizens that were affected.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8402 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

What a joke.

SO MANY people are putting in claims to get the $125 cash that no one is going to get shit now.

Of course people want to take the offer of cash and run, but out of the 330 million dollar settlement they only set aside 31 million for that.

Oh well, screwed again by them.

Equifax breach settlement: You're not getting that $125. Here's why.

Posts: 33901 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The OP is probably kicking himself for sharing this. Haha

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30447 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is the last day to submit a claim. I signed up for the credit monitoring option. 4 years of 3 bureau and I think 6 more single bureau.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
I got a letter (on line) saying in order to get the $$$ Ihas to supply dates and times I spent rechecking for other breeches.
,or I only get the free monitoring service.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4588 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would just get the free monitoring service. The settlement may be much less than 125 dollars.

Posts: 17284 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Unless you can show you have been directly affecting by the breach you can't get any money now. Too many people opting for that option when it first was announced.

The best option at this point is to take credit monitoring unless your info has been used and effected you personally. Even then I have a feeling you're not going to get much.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post