SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Godspeed to her.

I would guess the whole crew that remain were a horrible embarrassment to her privately.

William and Kate seem entirely respectable and likable. William seems to have conducted himself as expected at all times.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Thank you all for your more than kind words.

She was my boss for thirty-three years, but my Queen for seventy.

G*d rest her brave soul.

We’ll not see someone with her grace and poise on the international scene again in our lifetime. Rest easy your majesty.

Posts: 13734 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Godspeed to her.

I would guess the whole crew that remain were a horrible embarrassment to her privately.

William and Kate seem entirely respectable and likable. William seems to have conducted himself as expected at all times.

William is very highly thought-of in this part of the UK, where he 'drove' an aeromed helicopter for around two years, based about five miles from us. His wife does not seem to be able to put a foot wrong, and is both highly-respected and I dare say, has a fan-base the equal of her late Majesty.

William will also take on the title of Prince of Wales, with a suitable investiture having taken place. I was actually present at Caernarvon Castle in North Wales for the investiture of the now-King Charles back in 1969. I'd like to be there for that of his son.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Godspeed to her.

And Kate seems to be a very classy lady. He got lucky with that catch.

Charles' step son and the shrew he married, on the other hand, are quite the embarrassment.

I think that she went through a decade or two of troubles with her own children, all of whom were divorced and/or involved in one scandal or another. Then, of course, Andrew's exploits on Epstein's island. Through it all, though, she kept her chin up and was the epitome of class.

Can't say as I cared for her politics, but she showed that there is more to a person than that.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
tacfoley, my heartfelt condolences to you and the rest of the peoples of the United Kingdom.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Obviously I didn't know her personally, but everything I ever saw or heard about her made her out to be a really good and strong person.
The world needs more People like the Queen.
She will be missed by most of the civilized world.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16486 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Queen Elizabeth's speech at Philadelphia in July 1776 was my first conscious realization that there was an actual "Queen" somewhere, anywhere.

If you have never heard/read it, it can be found here.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Queen Elizabeth's speech at Philadelphia in July 1776 was my first conscious realization that there was an actual "Queen" somewhere, anywhere.

1776?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An inspiration and lady right up to the end. May she experience all the peace the afterlife has to offer.

I , sadly, have a hard time feeling bad.

She got out at just the correct time if not a little late. Society is crumbling and she put in too much time to observe the joke society has turned into.

Good on her for her strength and grace. May her reward be plentiful.

Farewell Queen. enjoy the other side. I hope your enemies are filled with jealousy and rage.

I hope she is sitting there , wherever there is, laughing at them

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Godspeed to her.

William is very highly thought-of in this part of the UK, where he 'drove' an aeromed helicopter for around two years, based about five miles from us. His wife does not seem to be able to put a foot wrong, and is both highly-respected and I dare say, has a fan-base the equal of her late Majesty.

William will also take on the title of Prince of Wales, with a suitable investiture having taken place. I was actually present at Caernarvon Castle in North Wales for the investiture of the now-King Charles back in 1969. I'd like to be there for that of his son.

I remember when the newlyweds came out on the balcony for 'the kiss'. Three billion people were watching, I was one of them.

Posts: 2713 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Queen was a class act. Charles is not.
Given how Charles advocates crazy woke globalist positions, I wouldn't be sad at all if circumstances developed soon where William gets the Crown.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Her Majesty the Queen’s long record of public service is unparalleled in the nations history. She was a source of stability, good judgment and wisdom to the United Kingdom for seven decades. She is owed a deep debt of gratitude for Her unwavering devotion to the United Kingdom and commonwealth. Be thou at peace grand lady..

Posts: 13795 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Through thick and thin, good times and bad, she always remained a gracious lady. Neither did she make it look like it was difficult for her to do.
Godspeed, and a joyous reunion with your beloved husband.

This world and the people that reside in it don’t sparkle as much as they used to when I was young.

Posts: 515 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:

1776?

Yikes. 1776.

GWB made the same mistake, for what that's worth.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
God speed the Queen. Condolences to all members in the UK and the Commonwealth.

She really was a remarkable woman if you look at her history. I personally thought she set an awesome example on the world stage of how a leader should act and behave.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37927 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Two quick anecdotes:

1) @ 1986 or 1987 we took a family vacation. It was to be our last vacation as a family before some of us went off to work or college, and before others moved away. My Dad settled on a trip to the Cayman islands. On arrival, after collecting our bags, we are walking out of the tiny international airport on the beach to find a cab, there over the main doors, was a giant portrait of Queen Elizabeth II. I remember being impressed that Her Majesty held such sway in such a tiny remote island.

2) I just heard a caller relate this story on talk radio this evening.

The caller said that, as a US Navy sailor with an amphibious landing craft background who had been promoted to a Public Relations job, on July 4, 1976, America's Bicentennial celebration, he had been assigned the duty of commanding an amphibious craft that took reporters out for tours of the New York harbor celebration ceremonies on circuitous routes. Queen Elizabeth II had sent a British Navy warship to participate in the ceremonies, and it just so happened that his amphibious ship with the reporters onboard cruised slowly near the British ship at 1 PM local, the exact moment that was recognized as the beginning of American Independence, and at that precise moment the British Royal Marine band on deck played The Star Spangled Banner. He recalled that it was one of the most moving experiences in his Navy career, and indeed in his life.

Like most Yanks, I'm not a monarchist, and really not even much of a "royals watcher", with the exception of fondly recalling the Summer of excitement here in the US of the royal festivities and spectacle of the royal marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. Even a young 'manly' boy such as myself got caught up in watching that fairytale event that Summer.

Queen Elizabeth II possessed such a sense of duty and service to her country and her subjects, over such a long reign, and she did so with such poise, such grace, such class, such charm, and such steadiness. Reportedly, there were anecdotes that she had quite the sense of humor as well.

She wasn't my Queen... and yet perhaps in some larger sense, she was. Unexpectedly, I find myself greatly impacted and saddened by her loss.

Tacfoley, nhtagmember, and any of our other Brits and Commonwealth members, I offer you my heartfelt condolences and my thoughts and prayers for our cousins across the pond. You were fortunate to have had such an inspirational leader with such a strong sense of duty and service to one's country and we in the West all benefitted from her reign and the UK's friendship.

May Queen Elizabeth II be able to finally set aside the burdens of a weary but beloved monarch and may she rest in peace.

May God Save the King.

============

As there are already a couple articles about her life and reign in this thread I won't post the entire article, but I will post several excerpts from the article below.

Her "walkabouts," in which she stopped to shake hands and briefly chat with members of the public, seemed to reinforce her one-time comment, "I have to be seen to be believed."

But appearing in public didn't mean her audience necessarily knew everything about her. The queen's personal life was never mined by the media in the way that those of American presidents tend to be. Among the things that were well known: the queen loved corgis (she reportedly owned more than 30 during her life) and thoroughbred horses, supposedly enjoyed a gin with Dubonnet, and was interested in Scottish country dancing and walking in the countryside.

Other reports said she enjoyed a jigsaw puzzle, and in 2011, there were multiple stories that she'd ordered an iPad for herself after grandsons Prince William and Prince Harry showed her theirs.

The constant throughout her life appeared to be a sense of duty and self-discipline.

In a 1940 radio speech to other evacuated children, the then-14-year-old Elizabeth showed her pluck, saying, "We know, every one of us, that in the end, all will be well."

In a broadcast to the British Commonwealth on her 21st birthday, she pledged, "I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

Following her coronation at Westminster Abbey on June 2, 1953, she became known for trying to modernize the monarchy and make more personal contact with her subjects — from garden parties to inviting 100 couples from around Britain who shared her wedding date to join the festivities at her 25th anniversary.

Elizabeth’s devotion to duty and a life of service made her an important figurehead for the U.K. and the Commonwealth. The queen saw public and voluntary service as one of the most important aspects of her role. She had links to more than 600 charities, military associations and public service organizations. Her patronages covered a wide range of issues, including opportunities for young people and the preservation of wildlife, among others.

Elizabeth was also known for her ability to keep her cool. In 1981, during the "Trooping the Colour" ceremony to celebrate her birthday, six shots were fired from close range in her direction as she rode down The Mall on her horse, Burmese (they were later found to be blanks). Elizabeth was praised for her skill in bringing the startled horse under control.

A year later, she awoke in her bedroom at the palace to find an intruder sitting at the end of her bed. She calmly picked up the phone to summon the police, then chatted with him until help arrived.

Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Queen Elizabeth II arrives at St. Paul's Cathedral for a service of thanksgiving held in honor of her 80th birthday, June 15, 2006, in London, England. (Tim Graham Photo Library)

Queen Elizabeth II arrives to mark the completion of London's Crossrail project at Paddington station on May 17, 2022, in London. (Andrew Matthews - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is shown in the drawing room at Balmoral Castle in Scotland on Sept. 6, 2022. (Jane Barlow/Pool Photo via AP, File)

FILE - Britain's Princess Elizabeth in a light-colored dress with sleeves above the elbow and peekaboo low heels, appears with Lt. Philip Mountbatten for a photo in London in September 1947. (AP)

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Godspeed to her.

Tac one of the first things I thought of when I heard the news was about you. I know you loved your Queen. I always liked her and I hope you'll be able to attend thing for William.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
tacfoley, my heartfelt condolences to you and the rest of the peoples of the United Kingdom.

...and Commonwealth.

Thank you, Sir.

For ALL of us, she was our Queen.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12: Tac one of the first things I thought of when I heard the news was about you. I know you loved your Queen. I always liked her and I hope you'll be able to attend thing for William.

Many thanks for that, Charlie12.

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
To moderate my earlier comment, while it does have merit, the Prince was younger, and it is very possible that over the decades he received and took to heart considerable schooling from the late Queen in preparation for this moment.

On another issue, a lot of what I'm hearing on TV indicates that despite the Queen's passing, the loyalists don't want to see any significant changes to the monarchy, keeping things pretty much the same.

Posts: 2713 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post