SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things that a kid turning 18 this year has never had to do
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things that a kid turning 18 this year has never had to do Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Purchase 3.2 beer at the age of 18. Play a 45 record. Even know what a wire recorder is or was. Use a reel lawn mower. Take your grandfathers 30-40 Kraig to history class in high school.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Good Brother Rightwire.

Thank you for this thread. It has brought back a lot of memories. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replace your broken car antenna with a coat hanger wire. Use a coffee can lid as a Frisbee before there were frisbees. Cut your fingers with that coffee can lid. Drive an automatic transmission equipped car that still used a manual foot clutch when accelerating from a stop or coming to a stop. Using hand signals to indicate turns and stops. Your grandfather's personal protection pistol was a Colt Peacemaker. Making carbide powered lamps by punching a small hole in a tin can with a lid.

Cars with a big metal external visor over the windshield and a glass device on the dash that would catch the image of the traffic light because you couldn't see the light because the visor blocked it. What was that glass device called? Using school desks from the previous generation that had inkwell holes. Using fountain pens.

Playing cards or balloons attached to bicycle wheels to mimic a motorcycle. Spoke guns using crushed kitchen matchheads as propellent.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walked to and from school barefoot in the snow uphill bothways, while the volcano was erupting.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Never heard of Fibber McGee, Molly, Amos n' Andy, The Green Hornet, Mickey Mantle, Jack Benny, Johnny Carson and wouldn't know Sal Magli from The Barber of Seville.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use a type writer to make a resume.

...or a thesis.

quote:
ou could use your thumb to get a ride and you stopped to pick them up

Oh, people still do that. Just now they don't always let you out.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I had two slide rules, one was a very professional quality, the other was plastic, but circular to fit in your shirt pocket.

I had a circular E6-B when I first took flying lessons, it fit a jacket pocket nicely. I have no idea where I lost it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Church keys to open beer cans
Floorboard starters on cars/trucks
Watching the used car "hawkers" and their fast-talking commercials, especially those with Cal Worthington
Cigarette commericals on TV

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 823 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Finding an AM radio station after sundown. When you didn't have FM in your vehicle.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A 10' cord on the phone so that you could sit in the living room and talk on the kitchen phone.

Getting tangled up trying to get around that cord while someone else was in the living room on the phone

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Use a record player or reel to reel tape deck.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the winter, taking the old horse collar that was hung by the wood stove to the outhouse so that you had a warm seat.

In the winter, hanging onto the bumper of passing cars on the poorly plowed roads.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 345 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post