SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things that a kid turning 18 this year has never had to do
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things that a kid turning 18 this year has never had to do Login/Join 
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Dial a phone, say thank you for someone holding the door open for you, count back change ( Goood luck with that).

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Fast forward, play, fast forward, play, rewind play ... trying to find the start of a song.

Blow in the Nintendo cartridge thinking that's what made it work.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
you could use your thumb to get a ride and you stopped to pick them up

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Pay for their own car which would likely be a jalopy just about ready for the junk heap.

...which you had to buy an accompanying Chilton's manual for.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
Dial a phone,

Ask a kid today to dial a dial phone. Its pretty much a lost art. I even have trouble until I get the hang of it again.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Get up to change the channel or volume

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Use a thermal paper fax machine?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duck and cover in the event of a nuclear attack by the USSR. Great fun drills.

Watch a real news program on TV.

Enjoy Dick Clark and American Bandstand.

Watch Guy Lombardo on New Years Eve.

See a newsreel at the movies about how the war was going.

Watch Liberace play the piano with that giant Candelabra.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
Get kicked off the 14.4 AOL connection because your Mom wanted to use the phone.

Use a floppy disk (any size)

Know that although you were loved, you were definitely the low man on the totem pole in the household.

Be able to experience non-supervised play time for hours on end. As long as your didn't get maimed and made it home for dinner on time, all was good.

Get disciplined (spanked) by a friend's parents.
14.4k? That was screaming. I remember using 300 baud and thanking my lucky stars that I wasn't stuck with 110. Yikes!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Moondial....

rotary dial your own number & yell in synch with the pauses between the 'beeps'....and listen to others doing the same. Sometimes you knew who it was, and carry on a syncopated conversation. Of sorts.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Clean a choke

Rebuild a Carb

Watch the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson

Cut your finger on the pull tab on a pop or beer can

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Push button shifter on the dash to the left.

Interesting the things mentioned here that I never did when I turned 18.

I loved my 300B Chrysler with push buttons.

I got one. In Jr High, on Friday mornings, some band members played the National Anthem loudly down the school hall. Mostly trumpets and drums

Posts: 6401 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Have native memories of 9/11...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learn how to use a slide rule.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Wait 4-6 weeks for delivery.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16902 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wipe off the inside of a distributor cap to get the condensation out, then put it back on so your truck will start. Did that for my college roommate after we went off roading. Him and his girlfriend hiked 5 miles back to our house so I could go fix his jeep for him. He made me swear not to tell her how easy a fix it was.

Using a xerograph machine (was that the name?). The old circular hand crank machine that made ugly looking copies that were all wet when they were done.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using a xerograph machine (was that the name?). The old circular hand crank machine that made ugly looking copies that were all wet when they were done.

Mimeograph. After reading through all these, I realize just how lucky I was to grow up in the 50s/60s.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Draw drinking water from the well because the pump would freeze up every winter...sometimes it would even quit working in the warmer weather so back to the bucket again.

Fill the coal buckets with lump chunk coal for the coal stove in our 4 room house.

You ate what Mom cooked or you didn't eat.

I wouldn't change one thing about growing up as I did.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Use a thermal paper fax machine?

One where you had to answer the phone manually, hear the tone, then put the handset into the acoustic coupling on the fax machine?? Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:
Learn how to use a slide rule.

I had two slide rules, one was a very professional quality, the other was plastic, but circular to fit in your shirt pocket.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post