SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things that a kid turning 18 this year has never had to do
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things that a kid turning 18 this year has never had to do Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Have to beat erasers as punishment

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Load a program off a cassette tape Smile

I had the ScarfMan clone of PacMan on Cassette for my TRS-80 Model4 w/ 64k of RAM.

Oh, you must have been rich or something! My TRS-80 (Model 1) only had 4k of RAM! Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
A few in defense of the Millennial (I'm technically a Millennial, turning 18 right around the turn of the millennium):

A kid turning 18 today never had to:

1) Choose between a high paying job and a reasonably priced college education.

2) Have a job out of high school that he could hope to turn into a career without a college degree.

3) Look at the price of a home and imagine himself buying it without two incomes or a professional degree.

4) Pay for a college education solely on part time work without soul crushing debt.

5) Compete in a market place where the world wasn't globally connected and lets employers find skilled professionals and cheap labor from every corner of the world.

True dat!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hear the sound of a dial-up handshake. Hell, even the dial tone!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go outside and call for your dog. Who was free to cruise the neighborhood!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get sent to the principal's office and receive a paddling.

Posts: 1771 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Walk the country roads picking up pop bottles (at 2 cents each) to get enough gasoline to put in the tank to go on a date. Frown Or siphon gas to get enough to go someplace. Maybe tell the difference by taste between regular and ethyl. Get a job pumping ethyl!

Figuring out how to drain the pop out of a 6 oz coke bottle while its still in the machine. You know, the horizontal ones. Buy ammo at the filling station or hardware store. By the individual round. They also sold cigarettes by the ones and twos. The pack was too expensive at a quarter.

Back to the school uphill both ways. There were uphills both directions. If you walked in the street, the rich kids in cars would try to cover you with slush. Walk on the unshoveled sidewalks you had to step in others footsteps to minimize the amount you got in your shoes.

Use a crystal set to pick up the local radio station. Or camp out in the back pasture near the antenna and listen on the barbed wire. It was tuned in. So was a buddies mothers frying pan. It was kind of short on high fidelity. We called it low fidelity. Didn't matter anyway, we never slept when camping out.

Filching Mr. Temples beer when we slept out. For convenience he put in an old fridge with a tap outside. He probably got the best end of the deal. He never had to cut his grass or shovel his snow. It was on us.

How about push starting the car when we got it far enough down the road so our dad's couldn't hear. And shutting it off and coasting home so as to make no noise.

Going hunting and pooling all our ammo so everyone had at least 5 rounds.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Pull the choke.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34393 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Ok, a rant here due to something at work.

I learned how to change a tire at 15. Isn't that something that is still taught these days??

Today a grown ass man (age 32) was instructed on how to change his flat tire. I just told him what to do. He asked me to change it and I refused. He then said isn't that your job? No asshole, my job is to sit here and make sure no one runs into you. If you don't want to change it, I'll just tow and impound your car.

*sigh*

Definitely getting written up on non courteous behavior once my bodycam gets reviewed.

Worth it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for a little perspective, I am 49 years old. Not sur what that makes me.

1. Go to the record store and try to sing the lyrics to a song, to see if the person working there knows what the record is.

2. Use a payphone, calling card, collect call, or have the charges billed to another number.

3. Remember anyone's phone number.

4. Know what to do when the only 3 TV stations go off the air at midnight.

5. Deliver newspapers.

6. Live without AC in the car and house

7. Ride around in the bed of a pick up truck

8. Put babies in a car without a car seat, just holding them on your lap.

9. Seeing people smoke everywhere.

Posts: 2241 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
ask a girl out on a date and put some effort into it.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Sift the ashes to recover unburned pieces of coal

Go to the Library to use the copy machine and pay 10 cents per page

Use a bumper jack

Watch a black & white only TV

Wait for the tubes to warm up in the radio or TV

Take the tubes out of the TV and go to the TV & Appliance store and use the tube tester

Listen to 78 rpm records

Put up / take down the storm windows

Watch a "snowy" TV picture

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16632 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Math without a calculator.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Dim their headlights with a floor switch.

Make a necklace out of pull-tabs.

Buy a pack of smokes from a machine.

Posts: 20564 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Dial 10 10 321 from a pay phone to save money on your long distance call...

'veritas non verba magistri'

Posts: 4005 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Pull the choke.

I think they call it something else nowdays

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Push button shifter on the dash to the left.

Interesting the things mentioned here that I never did when I turned 18.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Operate the mimeograph machine at their school, and smell the purple ink on their test paper.
Use a card catalog at a library, look something up in an encyclopedia. Deal with the Fuller brush man and door to door salesman.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Tear off the page you just printed, then tear off the two dotted strips on either side of the page.

Posts: 33038 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Load a program off a cassette tape Smile

I had the ScarfMan clone of PacMan on Cassette for my TRS-80 Model4 w/ 64k of RAM.

Oh, you must have been rich or something! My TRS-80 (Model 1) only had 4k of RAM! Big Grin

Well, it did have dual full-height 5.25" floppy drives, so that's kind of fancy.

My friends and I would stay up all night playing that thing, in awe no less...

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post