SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Discrimination against white guys at work has begun.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discrimination against white guys at work has begun. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
It's almost as if
What went around
Has come around
Funny how that works

I’m not sure what this means. Are you saying that we’ve discriminated against POC and women and now get what we deserve? I must be misinterpreting this.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
As already stated, this problems has started many, many years ago.

During my promotional times back in the 90s ( 30 plus years ago ) ... affirmative action was the "special of the day" on the menu.

Like Para said ... "Actually, that kind of discriminatory bullshit started many years ago.".

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
One more "affirmative action" thing I was involved in.

A promotional position opened up where I worked. It was as the Senior Engineer of an R&D section.

The notice stated that the applicant must be an Electronic Engineer with at least 5 years experience.

9 people applied for the job. One of them had 10 years experience, one had 3 years experience and was a minority and one had 2 years experience was a minority. None of the remaining 6 was an Engineer or even a Technician, but they were all minorities.

Fortunately it was a company that largely ignored affirmative action and the guy with 10 years experience got the job (me).

I guess the 6 who knew nothing about electronics figured they'd get the job, the title, the pay and then hire someone else to do the work.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

My first wife was 1/2 Hispanic - Spanish surname and everything. But she was whiter in color than English/German me and had bright red hair. She got a scholarship at UT for Hispanic students and she said she got no end of side eye when she went in every semester to collect her scholarship check. She was totally qualified with no monkey business, but didn't look the part.

If she wore fishnets to the scholarship office, NO WONDER she got side-eye AND the checks

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Does wearing fishnets and stilettos make you squeamish? You could have interviewed identifying as a woman......a really hawt woman, and killed two birds with one stone. Gender etc. is fluid these days.

Some years ago a mechanical contractor I know got a federal contract. Contract required a diverse work quota. Contractor needed two minority positions filled. Two check marks on a paper. There were a large shortage of minority plumbers at that time. He hired a (1)woman of (2)color. Two check marks.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This has been going on for a while now.

Circa 1993 or so I got screwed on my SPC/E-4 rank because “diversity”. I worked in the DFAC (Army Dining Facility) with this guy who was THE laziest piece of shit you’d ever see. Me, I worked my ASS off and people took notice. We were both E-3’s and one day he comes in all strutting around showing off his new E-4 rank and crowing about how he got it because “diversity”. He was black and I was white.

Well in less than 6 months, I had my E-4 and he had gotten demoted down to E-1 for being a scumbag and doing scumbag things like writing bad checks.

I took great delight in being his new supervisor Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I guess my surprise is this is in the private sector. No government involvement. More interesting is the policy applies tobUS employees only. We are a global biotech based in France.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
It's almost as if
What went around
Has come around
Funny how that works

I’m not sure what this means. Are you saying that we’ve discriminated against POC and women and now get what we deserve? I must be misinterpreting this.

"We"
Does not apply here.

There are a half a dozen perspectives at play here.

A half dozen non indigenous peoples came here from all over the globe,
Most were given shit loads of grief.

And there are still factions that cause undue hardships with hate filled actions.

It was only a matter of time until either the white population, the males, the christians or phobic peoples number came up..

Except for the very wealthy , the rules of society are ever changing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
When I got laid off in 1992, I went to the Federal Court House in Alexandria and found 60+ people that had sued MITRE.

When I didn't find one person that had won a $400K settlement, I asked the Clerk about the person and they responded that they only had about half the names in the data base.

We were hiring people in the early 80's that had a lack of experience to do the job. Lots of women and minorities under the Government 10 percent rule.

I worked in four different departments and it was all the same with others taking credit for my work.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’m just here to say that if Frayedends interviews in fishnets, we’re going to need photographic proof

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
If anyone read my post on page 3 where that affirmative action BS killed a hard working guy that they would not hire because he didn’t fit the certain percentage of minorities, I didn’t mention when that happened. It happened about 1979. A few years ago. This shit is nothing new.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m just here to say that if Frayedends interviews in fishnets, we’re going to need photographic proof

You’ll have to pay for it on my Only Fans page. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess my surprise is this is in the private sector. No government involvement. More interesting is the policy applies tobUS employees only. We are a global biotech based in France.
Yeah, see, there's really no such thing... Unless the company has no interaction, financial or otherwise, with either "government".

If a company deals with "biotech" or medical related industries, there's no real place for disconnect, guess where the money eventually comes from that pays all the bills? So guess who drives the policies...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

No we don’t.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Yeah, see, there's really no such thing... Unless the company has no interaction, financial or otherwise, with either "government".

If a company deals with "biotech" or medical related industries, there's no real place for disconnect, guess where the money eventually comes from that pays all the bills? So guess who drives the policies...

100% correct

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This battle was lost long ago.

The Supreme Court nominee selection prioritized genders and race.

If this is a surprise, you're not paying attention to the details.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This has been going on for a while now.

Circa 1993 or so I got screwed on my SPC/E-4 rank because “diversity”. I worked in the DFAC (Army Dining Facility) with this guy who was THE laziest piece of shit you’d ever see. Me, I worked my ASS off and people took notice. We were both E-3’s and one day he comes in all strutting around showing off his new E-4 rank and crowing about how he got it because “diversity”. He was black and I was white.

This was rampant when I was in too. Some of us with several years in sitting at PFC and a cute young black gal comes in and makes E4 less than six months out of AIT. Dumber than a pail of wet sand and completely unqualified to be a competent medic, but she was cute, she was black, and I suspect that she put out for the right people.

Racism was very popular in the Army back then (at least where I was), just not the kind you think.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://federalnewsnetwork.com...in-the-fbis-mission/

Diversity, Equity and Inclusion plays crucial role in the FBI’s mission

February 23, 2023 12:03 pm

Diversity, equity and inclusion within the Federal Bureau of Investigation plays a crucial role in the agency’s mission to protect the American people and uphold the Constitution.

A diverse workforce – with individuals from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives – not only helps to promote equality and inclusiveness, but it leads to better problem-solving, creativity, and innovation.

“This is not new to the FBI,” said Helena Moore, a supervisory special agent with the FBI’s Washington Field Office. “We’ve been really involved in increasing the diversity in our workforce for quite a bit of time.”

It is personal for Moore, who has been with the FBI for a little over 15 years.

When Moore first joined the agency, she was in an entry-level position and met a special agent in charge who was a Black woman.

“I too am a black woman,” Moore said. “It means something when you see somebody who looks like you who’s working in your organization, particularly if they are performing at a high level or performing in a position that you didn’t really know could be attainable for you.”

How diversity helps with investigations

Having a diverse group of employees in the FBI allows for a broader range of perspectives and ideas.

The FBI deals with complex and dynamic issues – such as terrorism, organized crime and cyber threats – that require innovative approaches to solve.

A diverse workforce can bring different perspectives and experiences to the table, helping the agency to “connect and maintain the trust” of people in communities nationwide and around the world, Moore said.

For example, an FBI agent from a different cultural background may have a different understanding of the motivations behind a particular crime, and that could lead to new insights.

“It’s a priority for us to look like the communities we serve,” said Moore. “It matters to community members when you’re showing up and they see somebody who they can potentially feel like they can relate to.”

Making a difference globally

When the FBI puts an emphasis on diversity, equity and inclusion, it can actually influence law enforcement agencies in other nations where female officers are not necessarily provided the same opportunities when compared to their male counterparts.

“We are seen as a premier law enforcement organization,” Moore explained. “When people see somebody like a Black woman in a country that traditionally does not let women reach high levels, they understand that it’s important to us and it helps countries see that it’s something that could be important to them as well.”

A diverse workplace can provide a platform for employees to learn from one another, build relationships, and understand each other’s experiences and perspectives.

When different individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences come together, they can share unique perspectives and approaches to solving problems, resulting in a more informed and thorough examination of issues.

It can help to create a more supportive and collaborative work environment, where employees feel valued and respected, and where they can bring their best selves to work.

Recruiting with diversity in mind

The FBI’s recruitment efforts often center around diversity, equity and inclusion.

Just last year, the agency made stops at 11 Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to encourage students to consider an FBI internship and learn more about the application process.

Some of that involved helping students understand that the FBI needs candidates from many fields of study.

It doesn’t matter if someone majored in accounting or biology or journalism – the FBI can use those skills.

The road trip was part of the “Beacon Project,” which was created to strengthen ties between the FBI and HBCUs.

“We know that diverse communities oftentimes may not consider the FBI as a place to work,” said

Scott McMillion, the FBI’s chief diversity officer. “When I think about our commitment to the Beacon Project, it’s really to ensure that we highlight and provide information about FBI career opportunities in the hope that students would consider us as an employer of choice.”

According to Moore, there are often recruitment events held at the University of the District of Columbia and Howard University, which are the two HBCUs in the nation’s capital.

“We do that in partnership with the Beacon Project and it’s just a success story here in Washington,” Moore said. “I feel very passionate about our outreach efforts because we are making a dent on some of the myths that may be out there regarding different races and genders in law enforcement.”

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Actually, that kind of discriminatory bullshit started many years ago.

////////////
Back in 1988/89 I was a commodities broker. I had a customer who was a Secret Service Agent with the Boston office. He seemed to like me as after a year or so of working trades and buying/selling for him, he said I should apply. As every one knows the SS is a Dept. of the Treasury.
So he send me the paperwork to apply.
I filled it out and after a bit of time I received the thanks but no thanks.
I called and told him.
He said two things. One is to apply every 6 months and dont change a thing, but the big one was that I had little chance of being hired.
Why? I asked. I had him in my corner as he said he would out a good word in for me.
He said “ your a good white Irish Catholic, but we have to fill our minority quota”

That took the wind outta my sales as even though I had a Bachelors, experience with foreign currencies and metals that a person would get the position ahead of me due to my race.

Utter Bullshit, as this type of “reverse prejudice” has been active for decades and seems only now with the “woke” environment did I remember what I experienced.

My .02

sigguy(the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):

...As every one knows the SS is a Dept. of the Treasury...

Slight thread drift. USSS was under Treasury, but they're now under Homeland Security.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post