SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AT Tire Discussion: Grabber ATX vs BFG AT KO2
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AT Tire Discussion: Grabber ATX vs BFG AT KO2 Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
KO2's are great. I have Discover ATP 2's on my Tacoma now and they are great in snow and mud and seem to be wearing well after 7k. I also looked at Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They have great reviews.

Can you post pictures please? These tires are super cheap compared to everything else but they are new and I am not having much luck finding pics of them mounted to see if they are aggressive enough for my taste.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Not one of your choices but you may want to also consider the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W which I bought a few years ago for my 2003 4Runner based on a discussion and recommendations on this forum.

Previous to the Falken’s I had Goodyear Duratrac’s which is a legendary tire unto itself, but imho the Falken is almost every bit as good and maybe a bit better in wet-road handling, reduced noise and better ‘grip’ as the tire ages / wears down.

At the time the Falken’s were less costly than the other top brands offering the same type of tire.

Good luck with your choice.

I had KOs on my F150 and currently have a set of Wildpeaks A/T3w on my Tundra.
From my experience, the KOs have a good bit more grip and better performance in SC where I live.
I am in mud, loose soil or clay pretty much weakly.
When the time comes, the wildpeaks will be replaced by KOs.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I put a set of KO2’s on my Jeep last year replacing Goodyear Duratracs.

Wish I had put another set of Duratracs on it instead.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I had a similar debate for my Tacoma. I went with Cooper Discover STMaxx tires and have been very happy with them on and off road. They did really well in the snow, too. The side walls have a bit more of a serrated look, which I dug.

It seems like everyone has KO2's, but I always thought they were 'meh'.

https://coopertire.com/en-us/f.../discoverer-s-t-maxx

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I ran K02’s on my Tacoma, and I’m running them on my Jeep also. Very awesome tires for the terrain in my area, and the type of off roading I do.

There is no way I would put General Grabbers on over K02’s. For what I do, the K02 is the second best off road tire. I personally think the Nitto Ridge Grappler is the best tire, but they were out of my budget when I was buying tires.

Stick with the BFG. You’ll be happy you did so.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 17 taco off-road and at ~35k mikes I swapped in 265/75 Ko2 E rated. A shade taller than stock almost a 32”. I like them I don’t do a ton of Hiway driving so road noise doesn’t bother me. 1 cross country trip when I moved and didn’t notice anything terrible. I’ve had them about 1.5 years now and they have 10k on them and look good. Have. A Ton of tread life. I recently read the falken is now available in 255/85 in an all terrain so I will likely get them next. They are a true 33” and you don’t need a lift on a Tacoma to fit. BFG makes a mud terrain 255/85 but I prefer an AT.

In case it wasn’t clear I’m running OEM 16 inch wheels

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As was mentioned you cannot always base a current purchase on previous performance. Things change. Sounds like either would be a good choice.

If I was going to spend in excess of a $1000 for a set of tires I would expand my search to get the best tire I could for my use.

Narrow it down to five of six and pick from there. My guess is the two you are considering may not be the two best available.

Go to two or three reputable shops and ask them. Tell them you do not want the tire they want to sell you but the best one for your situation. See what they offer.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I’ve always run BFG
But I put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my truck and jeep on the advice of a good friend.
They are great, and if they last like his have I’ll never buy anything else.
Quiet and a fairly aggressive all terrain tire.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had Jeep Wranglers since 1989. Have tried numerous tires/brands including BFG and Toyos over the years. As I don't do serious off roading I always end up going back to Duratracs.

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I had them on a previous pickup and they were not good in rain. I am sure the weight of the back end of the truck had something to do with it.
I have them on my new 4Runner and am having balancing issues. No happy with them right now. I had Toyo AT3's on a GX460 and they were incredible.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Tacoma my spiritual advisor drives a 4 runner
Both have Nitto terra grappler g2’s

Very happy with the performance and longevity

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
KO2's are great. I have Discover ATP 2's on my Tacoma now and they are great in snow and mud and seem to be wearing well after 7k. I also looked at Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They have great reviews.

Can you post pictures please? These tires are super cheap compared to everything else but they are new and I am not having much luck finding pics of them mounted to see if they are aggressive enough for my taste.

Here ya go.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Nitto Terra Grappler G2's are pretty much all I use now. Quietest AT tire I've had. I run SL tires, though, so that helps. My offroading is limited to mud and dirt, not rocks.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Here ya go.

Much appreciated. They have a really good looking sidewall with a mildly aggressive tread.
Glad to hear they are good in the mud as the tread blocks really aren’t that large.

May be my next tire.
The ATP II are $176 a tire compared to $255 for the Rugged Trek in 275/60/20s. So that is a huge savings.
I would love to toss an STT Pro or Max on my truck but I don’t want to go larger than a 33” tire and they don’t offer those in a 20”

————————————————

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the post about the bfg being owned by michelin. That is good to know and that makes sense since they do not seem to be the tires they once were.

Where are the nitto tires made. Also the duratracs?
I have had good luck with Hankook. But a USA copper will most likely be my next tire.
I can handle a Korean made tire. But do not want a chinese or indo variety.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I appreciate the post about the bfg being owned by michelin. That is good to know and that makes sense since they do not seem to be the tires they once were.

Where are the nitto tires made. Also the duratracs?
I have had good luck with Hankook. But a USA copper will most likely be my next tire.
I can handle a Korean made tire. But do not want a chinese or indo variety.

Nitto has some US production one plant maybe but most are overseas. Last I checked nearly 2 years ago and the Exo Grappler was the only one being made in the States at the time. I have seen Ridge Grapplers marked made in the US and Japan.
Tire Rack is the best about disclosing where there tires are made and they list the current Duratracs as being made in the US but I know in the past some have been made in Canada and that Goodyear has a large set of Production there.

Tire Rack does not sell Nitto tires so finding out where they are made is very tough. I have always wondered by Tire Rack won’t sell Nitto.

————————————————

Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Falken Wildpeaks, put them on my Trailhawk last year.

Pic of them the day they were installed... then I had to go out test them in the desert.

Posts: 3998 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Black, a Japanese made made tire would be fine as well.
Where do Duratracs get sold, Walmart?

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks Black, a Japanese made made tire would be fine as well.
Where do Duratracs get sold, Walmart?

I end up buying from Amazon, Tire Rack, or Discount Tire (all carry the DuraTrac).
I buy from the cheapest and have Walmart or Big O Install for $100.

I give the locals a shot to beat or match the price but usually come out at least $100+ cheaper this way.
If you are upsizing tires sometime Walmart won’t install a size other than what came on the truck.

————————————————

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My last set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2's were marked Made in USA. I haven't looked at my current set. I buy them on Tirebuyer.com.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post