SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AT Tire Discussion: Grabber ATX vs BFG AT KO2
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AT Tire Discussion: Grabber ATX vs BFG AT KO2 Login/Join 
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I just went out and looked, I’m happy to say my Nitto ridge grapplers are made in USA

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
If you are upsizing tires sometime Walmart won’t install a size other than what came on the truck.

Up or down sizing, Walmart will only install OEM sizes for a given vehicle. They’ll look the tire size you want to install up in their book and as long as it matches any of the OEM optional sizes you’ll be good to go. You may need to get the right person though. The last time I put tires on my truck, the guy went out to get the mileage and came back and said because the door sticker said I have 20” rims they couldn’t install the 18” tires. I told him it wasn’t a problem because the current rims were 18” and an optional OEM size. After two more back and forths, he found someone who agreed with me to OK it.

Another fun fact about Walmart and tires: they won’t put a SRW F350 on their lifts because the GVWR is over 10,000 pounds and their lifts are only rated to 10,000lbs. Doesn’t matter is you have a current CAT scale ticket showing the unloaded truck only weighs 8,000lbs.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. My 2020 Tacoma TRD OR is due for new tires. The OEM Goodyears surprised me with their performance in snow and slush, but that's about it. The past two Tacomas always got BFG KOs when due for replacements, and I was happy with their performance. It looks like BFG has stopped making them in my size, at least temporarily.

I just ordered some Cooper Discoverer AT3-4S; anxious to see how they do.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Alrighty folks, just put new shoes on my 2019 4Runner. Went with the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in factory size (no lift yet). Bought from dealer and they're MADE IN CHINA Mad Wasn't expecting this at all.

Tires look good, noisier than the shitty stock tires (Bridgestone Dueler H/T) but only barely. Ride feels more plush on our shitty roads even with the E rating. Got 45K out of the OEM's. Should get close to that based on all the reviews with these. I'll report back once I've gotten a few more miles on them and once I get to the hills and do a little wheeling with them.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Just had my KO2's rebalanced for the 4th time, still no good. Not a happy camper. This is on a brand new vehicle with factory rims.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Interesting and timely thread for us with my recently deceased son's 2003 4Runner LTD. He was in California so no need for his 285/70R17 tires to be All-Weather Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) certified. But for the family to use it around here that is a necessity.

With the OP (Mike) also being in a warm weather climate, his needs, like my son's, didn't include winter - snow performance. Hoping without thread drift, some suggestions / additional experiences might be offered.

Our preliminary "look see" came up with these (not all 3PMSF) as having good snow performance:
Goodyear DuraTrac
General Grabber APT
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 4S
FIRESTONE DESTINATION A/T 2
BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I read the initial post but didn’t reply because my recommendation wasn’t listed…lol…

Falken Wildpeak AT3 on my Jeep. I went with 33” pizza cutters because I didn’t want a wide, heavy, tire. I think my wheel+tire weight is 86lbs (don’t have the numbers in front of me).

Not noisy at all, winter performance, aggressive but not overly…very happy thus far. Only about 4K miles on them, but that includes interstate at 70-80mph, city stop and go, and a couple hundred miles of dirt/sand (sometimes muddy) roads.

Haven’t done any serious 4 wheeling with them yet.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomgun:
I just went out and looked, I’m happy to say my Nitto ridge grapplers are made in USA

Good to know.
Love Nitto tites.
On my second set of original Terra Graphler's now but nest it will be the RIDGE G or TG2. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I read the initial post but didn’t reply because my recommendation wasn’t listed…lol…

Falken Wildpeak AT3 on my Jeep. I went with 33” pizza cutters because I didn’t want a wide, heavy, tire. I think my wheel+tire weight is 86lbs (don’t have the numbers in front of me).

Not noisy at all, winter performance, aggressive but not overly…very happy thus far. Only about 4K miles on them, but that includes interstate at 70-80mph, city stop and go, and a couple hundred miles of dirt/sand (sometimes muddy) roads.

Haven’t done any serious 4 wheeling with them yet.

I have the Falken Wildpeaks on my Jeep. Installed at the same time as a lift kit. Very pleased with them. Less noise than a crappy set of Goodyears that came from the factory. I did not post initially also because of the choices. Check them out.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Based on the recommendations here I had Falken Wildpeaks put on my 2015 Tacoma yesterday. With archery deer season starting tomorrow I will get a good chance to see how they perform - I have to drive into a field through a low spot that can get pretty sloppy at times.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
I know it’s not one of the two you listed, but I have Nitto Exo Grapplers that I run on my 2018 4Runner for the winter and have been very pleased. When the original tires wear out I’ll be replacing them with an offering from Nitto for the summer months.

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have about 45K on KO2s on my Ram. When it is time, I think KO2s will go back on.

that said, I have read plenty of great reviews on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but the KO2s work great for me in Maine(great on snow, ice).

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running 35" General Grabbers and looking at Cooper AT3s on my F150 next

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Interesting and timely thread for us with my recently deceased son's 2003 4Runner LTD. He was in California so no need for his 285/70R17 tires to be All-Weather Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) certified. But for the family to use it around here that is a necessity.

With the OP (Mike) also being in a warm weather climate, his needs, like my son's, didn't include winter - snow performance. Hoping without thread drift, some suggestions / additional experiences might be offered.

Our preliminary "look see" came up with these (not all 3PMSF) as having good snow performance:
Goodyear DuraTrac
General Grabber APT
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 4S
FIRESTONE DESTINATION A/T 2
BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2

With the exception of the Falkens, this is a good list of currently available A/T truck tires that work in snow.

Falkens are made in the PRC, I'm not cool with that, but the widespread spotty QC exhibited by Falken lately will probably wake up the value shopperz if the fact that China is asshole doesn't.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

Falkens are made in the PRC, I'm not cool with that, but the widespread spotty QC exhibited by Falken lately will probably wake up the value shopperz if the fact that China is asshole doesn't.

TireRack shows the Falkens to be made in Thailand not PRC for this Japanese owned company.

FWIW we're down to Grabber ATx -or- Falken A/T3W. Really don't want E rated and would prefer C or possibly even SL as limited off-road treks would for the most part be US Forestry roads and trails.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
TireRack shows the Falkens to be made in Thailand not PRC for this Japanese owned company.

Unfortunately Bald1, DoctorSolo is correct. I just had Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (265-70-17's if that matters) put on my 4Runner on Wednesday. Damn things say MADE IN CHINA. Not sure when the change occurred but my tires we manufactured the 49th week in 2020 according to the data on the side of the tire. I wasn't exactly happy when I saw that and would have chosen the Nitto's had I known. I hate that this isn't more clearly stated when purchasing expensive items (or any item for that matter).

Gotta say that so far, they're 1000x better in heavy rain than the shitty Bridgestone Dueler H/T's that came off of it. You couldn't pay me to put another set of Bridgestone's on my 4Runner, so they're at least better than what was on there even if from the PRC.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Just had my KO2's rebalanced for the 4th time, still no good. Not a happy camper. This is on a brand new vehicle with factory rims.

I was very disappointed with the huge amount wheel weights the tire shop had to use with the last set KO2 on my tundra on factory rims (all 4). I've never seen that many weights used on factory rims in my life. This tells me they have issues with the KO2s. I won't buy another set of KO2 again after that.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:

Unfortunately Bald1, DoctorSolo is correct. I just had Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (265-70-17's if that matters) put on my 4Runner on Wednesday. Damn things say MADE IN CHINA. Not sure when the change occurred but my tires we manufactured the 49th week in 2020 according to the data on the side of the tire. I wasn't exactly happy when I saw that and would have chosen the Nitto's had I known. I hate that this isn't more clearly stated when purchasing expensive items (or any item for that matter).

Gotta say that so far, they're 1000x better in heavy rain than the shitty Bridgestone Dueler H/T's that came off of it. You couldn't pay me to put another set of Bridgestone's on my 4Runner, so they're at least better than what was on there even if from the PRC.

Well I'll be... TireRack is rarely in error but obviously this time they are.

No biggie for us, as we opted for the General Grabber ATx for our '03 4Runner Limited V8. Big Grin

Using Discount Tires locally and getting installation Wednesday. Tires started at the same price as places like Tire Rack but once you add 10% military discount, bonus for signing on line and ordering there, and the additional rebates, they became the obvious choice.

Have had great service from General Altimax Arctic tires on several of the extended family's vehicles ('99 Forester L, '03 Outback Legacy, '11 Sonata Limited) so the nod was a natural to General.

FWIW we opted for SL (4 ply) rated as C (6 ply) wasn't available and with the worse off-road excursions expected being US Forestry roads and trails, heavy 10 ply E1 rated tires would be extreme overkill. Also downsized a bit with 265/70R17. This should also help with gas mileage.
My son had been running big ass knobby 285/70R17 E1 rated with the 3" lift. They also showed major tread wear after only 30k miles.

As an aside this pretty much matches the results of our due diligence checks.
https://tirewheelguide.com/tir...alken-wildpeak-at3w/
Far too many forums and tire sites have Falken reviews with miniscule mileage reported which gives cause for pause. The ATx have been around for quite some time and have a solid review base.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Got a call that the tires arrived at the store early so had them installed this afternoon. Much much better ride and handling. Made in the USA too! Big Grin

The "new look." Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, my new Nitto Terra Grapplers are, indeed, made in USA.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post