SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is insomnia part of the aging process?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is insomnia part of the aging process? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
It’s 2:20 AM and I’m as wide awake as a hoot owl. In my younger days, I could drop off to sleep in seconds and sleep through a train wreck. Do you sleep faster when you get older?
If I had headlights on the mower and my neighbors wouldn’t think I was crazy, it might be a nice pleasant time to mow the yard.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, the older you get, the more likely you are to suffer from insomnia. It's not even 1 am where I am; I probably won't nod off for several hours.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16397 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
A sleep aid works somewhat.The not sleeping thing started when I retired years back

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Wish it were that simple as I've suffered from insomnia since my teens and am now in my 70s. Yeah I'm up now too at 2:30am. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16259 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I don't know about insomnia, but in Dr. Walker's book, Why We Sleep, you learn that as we age our REM sleep gets shorter - which is crucial factor in brain maintenance, getting rid of amyloid plaques, etc.

A couple of great sleep resources.

Why We Sleep

Dr. Matthew Walker on Sleep for Enhancing Learning, Creativity, Immunity, and Glymphatic System

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Went to bed at 1230, wide awake at 0230. Tossed and turned till 0400 then got on up and took a shower. Gonna be a long day.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Still wide awake at 4:04 AM and just noticed that about 60 other people are not snoozing too!

Well, back to reading my latest book. Sleep tight y’all.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Insomnia is commonly reported by older people, but many people get far less physical exercise as they age, and I believe that may have a bearing on the problem. And by physical exercise, I don’t mean running a marathon or the BUD/S obstacle course, but even the activity associated with going to work at an office job is more than many retired people get.

I am 73 years old and get two basic types of exercise on a regular basis, dedicated swims or walks, and the activities associated with conducting outdoors firearms training and qualification sessions. During the past week I spent two to three hours on several days doing the latter in cold weather, and slept the night straight through after going to bed early following each session.

When I can’t sleep, it is typically after spending the day doing nothing but puttering around the house, and that is unusual.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wake up once or twice during the first half of the night. Get up to pee, then sometimes I am able to go right back to sleep, other times I am wide awake and read for a while.

Second half of the night I usually sleep pretty soundly.

I NEVER have any problem dozing off if I have the opportunity for a nap during the day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I NEVER have any problem dozing off if I have the opportunity for a nap during the day.

It seems counterintuitive, but studies have shown that taking a short nap during the day can help with sleep at night. For me, “short” means up to an hour.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I shouldn't drink liquid after dinner but usually have a diet coke or tea. I suppose that explains why someone with no prostate gets up 2 or more times during the night to pee. When I find myself unable to go back to sleep, I head for the recliner in the living room. That usually does the trick. If not, I turn the TV on at a low volume. The drone and the flickering light in a dark room plus recliner usually work.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I always found the vibration and steady noise of a truck diesel to be soothing and bring on sleep,
Great for sleep, BAD for driving.

Posts: 4640 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Another issue with sleep/aging, is no matter how much you sleep, it doesn't restore you as when you are younger.

Waking up still feeling tired is what I mean.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I hear ya.

I have no trouble falling asleep. I wake up every morning between 2 and 4 and that's when the trouble starts.

I usually fall back asleep 15 minutes before my alarm goes off.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6143 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Still awake.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16397 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Another issue with sleep/aging, is no matter how much you sleep, it doesn't restore you as when you are younger.

Waking up still feeling tired is what I mean.

That is because your NAD level declines as you age. When you were younger, it could be 20 percent while it is now 1 to 2 percent.

Dr. Nichola Conlon, Nuchido CEO & Co-founder, chats with James Strole, Director of the Coalition for Radical Life Extension, about what she's bringing to RAADfest 2019: Increasing NAD+ levels in middle-aged people to a level comparable with people 17 years younger with the data to back it up.

Nuchido has pioneered the use of systems pharmacology and clinical research to boost and maintain NAD. In a scientific world-first, the team achieved the biggest increase of NAD in humans reported by any scientific group.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Insomnia is commonly reported by older people, but many people get far less physical exercise as they age, and I believe that may have a bearing on the problem.

I believe you're correct. I know I usually sleep more soundly after an active day than a more sedentary one.

That being said: I've found melatonin and CBD oil (zero THC) work well for me. I still usually wake up once or twice during the night, but I can get up, hit the head, go back to bed and go right back to sleep.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I seem to be the opposite. I’ve found that as I get older, I sleep more soundly, although the number of hours is roughly the same. I work out fairly hard 4-5 days a week, so I’m sure that plays into it. I sleep through noise that used to wake me up too.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I work out fairly hard 4-5 days a week ....

Preach it, brother.

6.4/93.6