SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is insomnia part of the aging process?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is insomnia part of the aging process? Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I read for a while before I drift off at about 11:00. I read on a Kindle Paperwhite and stuff the thing under my pillow before I fall asleep. If I wake up at 2 - 3 to hit the head, I generally fall back asleep pretty quick. If I don't, I pull out the Kindle and read until I'm ready to drift back off.

This morning, I read between 3:00 and about 3:30. Reading helps forget I should be sleeping.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've found that the masturbatory skills that I've perfected over many decades of practice to be exceptionally useful in promoting somnolence.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I've found that the masturbatory skills that I've perfected over many decades of practice to be exceptionally useful in promoting somnolence.

You and the late Ernest Borgnine. Big Grin He also touted longevity from such practice. hahahahahahaha

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Interesting fact: when 49.9 percent of the population suffers from a condition-it's a disease. When 50.1 percent suffer-it's called aging.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Mine got so bad a few months ago that I volunteered for a sleep study. I work out 3x/week and quit smoking two years ago, so those items were checked off the list of usual suspects.

The big problems for me seemed to be caffeine after 1:00 pm, and napping mid day. I saw the post earlier about naps being beneficial, but in my case I seem to sleep more through the night if I can resist napping.

Over several weeks of mostly working on those two things my sleep efficiency skyrocketed.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin. We love you Jim! You are the best.

Posts: 12938 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Jim, you’re quite the evangelist on this topic. You clearly have the passion, experience, and ability to articulate your goals.
Have you thought about becoming a motivational speaker?

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Actually the TED people offered me audition, but I declined (not wanting to break up any marriages).

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Insomnia is commonly reported by older people, but many people get far less physical exercise as they age, and I believe that may have a bearing on the problem. And by physical exercise, I don’t mean running a marathon or the BUD/S obstacle course, but even the activity associated with going to work at an office job is more than many retired people get.

I am 73 years old and get two basic types of exercise on a regular basis, dedicated swims or walks, and the activities associated with conducting outdoors firearms training and qualification sessions. During the past week I spent two to three hours on several days doing the latter in cold weather, and slept the night straight through after going to bed early following each session.

When I can’t sleep, it is typically after spending the day doing nothing but puttering around the house, and that is unusual.

i'm 73 as well + retired for 12 years. i volunteer 2 days/week + 5 days at the gym when they open at 4a & take both morning/afternoon naps & sleep thru the night.

to me, the baggage you take to bed, thinking about items you can't control, politics, work, projects, tv, etc is what is keeping folks from sleeping thru the night.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

You and the late Ernest Borgnine. Big Grin He also touted longevity from such practice. hahahahahahaha

Looks like I will live forever!

Posts: 4639 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
To me, the baggage you take to bed, thinking about items you can't control, politics, work, projects, tv, etc is what is keeping folks from sleeping thru the night.

This is usually my biggest problem when I can't sleep. I'm rarely lying there awake unless my mind is thinking about things.

I personally find that the less time I spend in prayer, especially meditative prayer, the more likely I am to have insomnia.

I have found that as I've gotten older I do have the occasional night where something is sore and I just can't seem to find a comfortable position.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
the deep sleep age penalty:

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say insomnia, but I've been finding myself going "early to bed, early to rise" lately and seeming to need less sleep. (I'm 61.) For example, I went to bed around 8:30 PM last night and have been up since about 3:30 AM.

Posts: 28013 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
the deep sleep age penalty:

Matthew Walker’s book (Why We Sleep) is fantastic. I was firmly in the sleep when you’re dead camp in my younger days. Not any more.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I don't consider myself older yet (I'm 53) but I find that, unless I'm thinking about something going on at work, the only times I don't sleep well are nights when I consume too much alcohol, especially after 7 or 8pm. Red wine in particular really disrupts my sleep to the point where I've virtually stopped drinking it. I recently (at the beginning of this month) also stopped drinking beer and find I'm sleeping better.

Posts: 4080 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
After being up for work at 3:30am many decades, I now go to bed at 11:45 and awake at 5:30 refuse to get out of bed till 6:45am. Will just keep turning till that time.
I do take 2 Rx pills,gets me to sleep quicker but that's about it.
Don't know what 6.5 hours or more of sleep feels like.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about insomnia, but getting up to bleed the lizard 2 or 3 times a night seems to dang sure be part of my aging processz

Posts: 26950 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if insomnia happens more as your older. BUT, I'm 42 now and in the last 3-5 years, I now wake up 1-3 times a night to take a leak and before I'd sleep through the entire night......most of the time I fall right back to sleep......sometimes not.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I don't know if insomnia happens more as your older. BUT, I'm 42 now and in the last 3-5 years, I now wake up 1-3 times a night to take a leak and before I'd sleep through the entire night
Jimmy -- as much as I pull your chain, this post is for real.

I would suggest that you see a urologist to get that department checked out.

I would not wish on anyone, what I am dealing with. Take care of yourself, dude. Please.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to give an amen to V-tail's advice. 42 is too young for what you're experiencing, Jimmy. Of course, there are always exceptions to a rule, but I strongly second getting a dr. involved to verify.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post