SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Member behavior and the administering of SIGforum
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Member behavior and the administering of SIGforum Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This forum is the most unique of all forums. Due to my wide range of interests, I am on quite a few forums.. and none of them exhibit this level of knowlegde depths on a wide variety of topics in a tightly run ship as this one.

The only feedback I have is that I truly wish we could have information-only threads on current events. Can these threads be run like the "Fun pictures/memes thread - no quoting or discussion"?

Posts: 1805 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favorite gun forums. When I first started coming here, I didn't understand the reasons behind some of the rules, but after being here awhile, I saw how they made sense.

Now, I don't always agree with your individual opinions on subjects, but since I'm the only person I agree with 100% of the time, that's no big deal in my view. A good, reasoned argument is a thing to be treasured anyways.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I like about this forum is the PC is kept to a minimum. And, there is no software to monitor our colorful language like the S&W Forum.

Our single most important rule is respect for others, amongst a few others.

Posts: 1553 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Sir, I've only read a few of your posts here and find you very knowledgable and interesting. Seen a little of the frictions between you and Para. It has made it all the more interesting. I wish I knew you were here for 14 years as I've surely missed out reading you.

Looking at my posting history, I'm actually surprised to find how much I've contributed in the last three years; that's over half of my total count, though I believe a lot of posts show up multiple times. Part of that may be because there used to be a rule that threads get automatically locked after 20 pages, which kept debates compact, but often cut them short. Overall I think dispensing with that is a change for the better. But it probably also shows that I have adapted, and that debate on the board has improved in general to invite more posts.

Posts: 2425 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BansheeOne - Are you German or a GI?

Posts: 1553 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
I'm German, and any of my military service was domestic. Though I had lots of professional interaction with US forces based here later on, as I worked for a member of German parliament whose district included Ramstein and Landstuhl for ten years.

Posts: 2425 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Maybe it would be better if those so inclined just offered up a quiet BJ via private email.
Damn, man. That's gayer than the flute players section in a Pride Parade marching band.

I wanted to know if we had anyone here who has a genuine problem with me and the way I run this place. I asked members to speak up, and they have. Its unfortunate that any time someone compliments the boss, it's automatically perceived as 'ass-kissing', which means that their remarks are not sincere and are calculated to provide some sort of advantage to that person. You don't honestly think that all these guys are doing that, do you? As someone asked rhetorically, earlier in the thread, why would you hang out here if you're unhappy wth the way it's run, so, natuarally, the majority of respondents to this thread are going to be happy with me and with this place. If that makes it look like ass-kissing to you, well, you're entitled to your opinion- just as the others are entitled to theirs. For all the years I've known you, you've been unsentimental and curmudgeonly. This is not a criticism. It's simply who you are, or at least it's what you've shown to us on a consistent basis. I do think, though, that beneath your hard candy shell is a soft chewy center. I haven't forgotten the kind gift you gave me years ago.

Frankly, I think this thread has been good for all who've participated and I think its timing plays a factor. Out with the old, in with the new and all that.

I want all of you guys to know that I appreciate all the kind words, most sincerely. It means a lot to me that active members of this forum comprehend what I'm trying to do here. Thank you. Smile

Posts: 107857 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I admit that I miss the point often and have been told that I can't read a room to save my life so I usually defer to others to get a temperature of what is socially acceptable most days. (Being on the ASD spectrum is a bitch)
Your direct approach is actually very comforting to someone like me as I know exactly what is expected and what consequences I face if I choose to deviate from the rules.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Heck yeah. As the kids say, I've been here a minute and I love the place.

I can remember a few times where you, Para, interacted with someone and I thought "thank god that wasn't me." I think I got a "cut it out" or maybe a "back on topic" once ( I really don't remember-) never a NO POLITICS thankfully. Never really thought you were unfair- when I was younger (10+ years IS a long time) I may have thought you were harsh but I see that you simply value concise and clear communication in the course of your administration. I would SUCK at the job of admin/mod here and I pray you don't get tired of it.

I do keep the forum as my homepage- it helps me avoid the click bait "NEWS" that default browser pages throw up. Unless I am "unplugged" because of frequent travel (haven't been on since Christmas...) or changed schedule, I visit first and last thing daily.

I learn a lot here and I laugh a ton. I am a pretty smart dude but I like that you and many of the members here are smart enough to make me feel dumb- and therefore quiet. If only I could remember to shut-up more in real life. Smile

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2114 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and another thing!
this business of "fair" and Unfair"

Those terms are thrown around all over the damn place these days in every aspect of social behavior. And they are thrown around ( 90% of the time)
by some whiny ass "I get any thing I want "
tender taint , that thinks they should always have it their way.

There is fair on the school yard play ground , there is fair or unfair at your place of employ , there is fair in the court room,

but unless the whiny ass cry baby is ,at some point , contributing to the shape,form of function of the social arena , HE does NOT get to decide on fair.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54755 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
This place is my favorite stopover when surfing the internet. Every morning I check out the national and local news, drop in on some blogs and then come here. Learned a lot of things in a wide variety disciplines.

It is a great place and well run. Ive only been chastised once and learned my lesson. Keep up the good work and have a great New Year.

Posts: 5704 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't think obsequiousness is a factor here. Seriously, I've seen very active members with a friendly relationship to Parabellum get abrupt correction several times. It is usually short and comes with a 'you should know better' admonishment. If there is brown nosing, it doesn't work. No I think what is seen as seeking favoritism is misinterpreted genuine gratitude. That gratitude makes it sting when Parabellum is disappointed by a poor choice.

Also, someone used the term 'bullying' when describing the terseness with which some folks are dealt with. I think that is unfair. Bullying has a specific predatory defining characteristic. That is not what happens unless the individual demonstrates really poor judgement and addressed Parabellum with contempt. At that point all bets are off. I do enjoy when a miscreant is toyed with and batted around a little before being banhammered or turned over to the dog pile. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29753 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read this a few days ago and wanted to think on it a bit before responding, so here goes.....

I have been a member here for quite a while. I dont post often as I usually enjoy reading and learning and in no way consider myself any sort of authority on anything SIG, and dont usually do internet arguing. Having said that, and having been on another BLUE forum Para owned and moderated, I know better than to misbehave here.

Thats the main reason I lurk here and not on many other forums out there. The conversation is mostly civil and useful here. The knowledge base here is vast and varied. The topics are lively, and I just enjoy the drama free atmosphere.

The thing I enjoy here, and did on the BLUE forum when Para was in charge, is that Para maintains order. Not control, not a heavy handed reign....but order. I have seen rulings come down in the past and thought wow, maybe that was harsh or a bit much. Then I moderated a smaller forum on the old Delphi forums. I began to realize what Para was faced with then and wouldnt want the job he does running this place.

It is not my domain, and I dont make the rules. If I dont like the rules I'm free to leave. I am on a local forum that started out for trading and buying and selling. It introduced discussion forums later on and seems to constantly be full of drama, bickering and more internet BS than I want to deal with. Guys that push the envelope to the max and then whine when disciplined. It gets old. That doesnt happen here except very rarely and to me thats a good thing.

Yes Para, its your house and your rules. You can run this forum how you deem is best for you to do so. I would say the continued growth and success of this GREEN forum is testament to the great , and often thankless job you do. Please dont change a thing! I think most would agree.

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 146 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Regrding the liberal policy on the use of profanity in this forum, I see no need to restrict the use of such language in a forum populated overwhelmingly by adult males. The one restriction along these lines we have here is keeping it out of subject lines, so that you don't get smacked with foul language merely by scrolling down the page. You have to actually open up a thread to see any profanity. I think this strikes the best balance and it gives the forum sections a clean look.

The software we run does have a censor in it, which would turn selected words into asterisks, but we're adults here. No need for that shit. Smile

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107857 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
tender taint

This thread is now complete.

Posts: 3813 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I like this forum and have zero issues with how it’s administered. Sigforum is a uniquely great place on the internet because quality admins, led by Para, foster an environment where quality members thrive. I’m appreciative of this place which others made and I contribute nothing towards, and frankly I think it’s the height of entitlement for others in my situation (contribute nothing) to complain. If you don’t like it, leave.

Thanks Para for building a great site for Gun owners and freedom lovers to opine, trade interesting tips, and have a community.

Posts: 2410 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para for all that you do to keep this place running smoothly, it's a refuge for us "Normals" in what seems to be an increasingly insane world. I don't post frequently but I do read the forum just about every day. It's really astonishing the breadth and depth of the knowledge (and humor!) of the membership here.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not been on a large number of forums. Some I have been on were cesspools. This is not only the best gun forum I have encountered, it is the best forum I have encountered on the internet. Trash attracts rats. This forum is very good about removing the trash. I am very thankful for that. This forum is one of the last refuges for polite fellowship, entertainment, information, sarcasm, and calling out BS left to us grumpy old men like me! My compliments to the moderator(s), and to those who participate here.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so its settled then .

What ever suits you just tickles us plumb to death

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54755 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I rarely post and the vast majority of the time read threads and learn a lot and am entertained a lot. Despite my “silence” I truly feel like this forum is home and fellow members are a family of sorts. I can’t think of a finer run forum. Sincerely Thank You Para.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3095 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post