SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The immeasurable value of Twitter under the guidance of Elon Musk
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The immeasurable value of Twitter under the guidance of Elon Musk Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
There is a lot of “hate speech” on X, the downside of a social medium dedicated to free speech.
As has been pointed out many times, popular speech doesn't really need protection; it's the stuff that offends many people that needs to be guarded against suppression.

I take issue with the term "hate speech" and of course I notice you put it into quotation marks, meaning it's not your choice of term for such speech. And if we're being honest, those in our society who whine about hate speech are most often the biggest purveyors of strident, jingoistic, racially-driven speech.

But, yes, these days, one can encounter some shockingly blunt racist commentary and memes on Twitter; things that could not have survived for a single minute on the old Twitter.

I'm certain that most people on the political left would misunderstand my meaning when I say that this is a good thing.

When full expression is allowed, it becomes the duty and the right of the individual to determine the validity of what they encounter.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Evelyn Beatrice Hall said, "I may not agree with what you have to say, however I will defend to the death your right to say it", paraphrasing Voltaire.

Posts: 12233 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I was generally neutral regarding Musk. Not really for or against. That has changed dramatically.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
For all the good that Musk has done, I am admittedly pretty annoyed when any on the right criticize him for not being pure enough.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
For all the good that Musk has done, I am admittedly pretty annoyed when any on the right criticize him for not being pure enough.
I do not believe Elon Musk regards himself a conservative.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk is going to be our last best hope heading into the elections this coming year as the censorship machine of the Left spins back up:

https://x.com/libsoftiktok/sta...314545485042092?s=46

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Community Standards

Interesting way to spell CENSORSHIP! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9435 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
D.Trump Jr. is a funny follow.

[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7651 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27511 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Say, other than a lighter wallet, what do we get for subscribing to X?

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
It's free (for now).

Posts: 11517 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

I joined because I wanted to support a platform that encourages free speech. X is not afraid to shed light on some subjects that were previously unreported. Para's post about Epstein is a good example. The Twitter files being released is another. We all knew government was involved in censorship but how they were involved and the extent of their involvement was unknown.

Posts: 7670 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
You get an endless source of entertainment, or annoyance, depending upon your perspective and how you chose what you follow Smile

It doesn't have to cost anything. Just having an account is free--for now, at least.

Then there are three paid tiers: Basic ($3/mo. or $32/yr.), Premium ($8/mo. or $84/yr.), and Premium+ ($16/mo. or $168/yr.). Basic doesn't give you much over an unpaid account. Premium gives you several things, incl. the ability to become Verified and get a blue check-mark. Premium+ gives you, among other things, access to X's AI: Grok.

You can find all kinds of details at About X Premium

I encourage everybody to get at least a Basic account to support the platform.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
<snip>
Premium+ gives you, among other things, access to X's AI: Grok.
<snip>

I thought Musk warned of the dangers that AI poses.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I thought Musk warned of the dangers that AI poses.
Correct.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
There is a lot of “hate speech” on X, the downside of a social medium dedicated to free speech.
As has been pointed out many times, popular speech doesn't really need protection; it's the stuff that offends many people that needs to be guarded against suppression.

I take issue with the term "hate speech" and of course I notice you put it into quotation marks, meaning it's not your choice of term for such speech. And if we're being honest, those in our society who whine about hate speech are most often the biggest purveyors of strident, jingoistic, racially-driven speech.

But, yes, these days, one can encounter some shockingly blunt racist commentary and memes on Twitter; things that could not have survived for a single minute on the old Twitter.

I'm certain that most people on the political left would misunderstand my meaning when I say that this is a good thing.

When full expression is allowed, it becomes the duty and the right of the individual to determine the validity of what they encounter.

I don't use Twitter, 95% of my exposure is here, simply because I am not providing them my phone number.

Honestly bring on the hate speech; the love speech; the ambivalent speech; but most of all, the free speech.

If someone posts something I don't like, I assume I have the option to block them. I further assume that if 6,000,000 people block them, their content gets deranked into a far vast empty region of the internet as well.

If people want to say offensive shit, let them. Let the individuals saying it face the consequences, not the corkboard in the town center.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ But no problem before. Assholes!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39224 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post