SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The immeasurable value of Twitter under the guidance of Elon Musk
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The immeasurable value of Twitter under the guidance of Elon Musk Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I quit Twitter many years ago but just recently signed back up to X. I am cautiously hopeful that things will continue to improve.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just signed up for the basic package. I am still not used to the UI but I'm getting the hang of it.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
As much as I enjoy knowing what's happening at X (formerly known as Twitter) Razz, I will not be joining. Whatever topics over there that's important enough for me to have an interest in will be posted on here, anyway. Cool
Like I said: Think of it as an investment in protecting and promoting free speech Smile

Gab tried. They really, really tried. But Gab has never amounted to more than a niche platform. Parler tried. Got shut down by Amazon (one of the reasons we dropped Amazon Prime 2½ years ago) and GoDaddy (who also helped try to kill Gab). Parler still exists... barely. MeWe? Niche. Truth Social? Ditto.

Of all attempts to run a free speech platform only X appears poised to succeed.

For this reason I think it absolutely imperative X succeed.

For X to succeed two things need to happen: 1. There needs to be enough user base to make advertisers' interest in the platform more attractive than their interest in being woke. 2. X needs to be as independent as possible from advertising revenue.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Ok so I’d like to support X and the premium fee is inconsequential in the big scheme of things.

But what is mechanism for finding information? Do you subscribe to channels or what?

Lastly is anyone spoofing X or is it well enough protected that you’re not going to end up on the wrong platform.

Thanks

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Ok so I’d like to support X and the premium fee is inconsequential in the big scheme of things.

quote:
But what is mechanism for finding information? Do you subscribe to channels or what?
You "follow" X accounts of interest. There are also channels/accounts that have separate paid subscriptions. But see below. There's a search box that actually sometimes finds what you're looking for
quote:
Lastly is anyone spoofing X or is it well enough protected that you’re not going to end up on the wrong platform.
Providing your DNS "chain" and 'net connections aren't compromised, your browser is doing what it's supposed to (it isn't compromised, either), and you don't typo the URL: It's as safe as any other web site. (I don't use the apps.)

Downsides/Dangers

I ain't gonna lie. X, like any other social media platform, survives on users spending as much time as possible on the platform. It's software is designed to encourage that. So, not only will you see posts (formerly known as "Tweets") from accounts you follow, but you'll also see posts the platform's algorithms "thinks" will interest you. Some of them are likely to be real head-scratchers.

When those pop up you'll have to "Mute" those accounts from a drop-down menu. Then you won't see posts from those accounts anymore.

The thing to do is not become addicted to spending time on the platform. The way to do that is choose what you wish to follow carefully and exert a bit of self control. The main thing is to avoid "doom scrolling," where you just keep scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and... the next thing you know you've blown three hours doing it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will set up an account this evening.

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
X Has Already Won

Elon Musk closed the acquisition of Twitter, now X, in October of 2022. Once that deal was closed, a bunch of advertisers left the platform out of fear of their brands being impacted by the new “Freedom of Speech” rules that X was looking to implement.

The premise was that ads would be shown next to content that advertisers don’t want to be associated with, and because X would now allow more “improper” content, the chances of having a negative ad experience could increase.

After leaving the platform for a few weeks, almost all advertisers have come back, albeit with lower ad spends. However, earlier this year, X gave guidance that the platform is near cash-flow neutral, minus debt obligations. This means that even though the platform has suffered losses in terms of ad revenue, the company is close to being self-sufficient.

In other words, no outside cash has to be brought into the company to keep it alive, as long as the trend continues.

Fast forward a few months, and after controversial comments made by Elon and an effort by Media Matters to encourage advertisers to boycott the platform, advertisers left again.

However - just like the first time, after a few weeks, advertisers are beginning to come back. There’s confirmation that Netflix has started to spend ad money on the platform again, and per Elon at his recent conference in Italy, advertisers are beginning to come back to the platform en masse.

Full Post: X Has Already Won

Let us hope this is true because, while paid subs will certainly help, Musk, himself, has said if X doesn't get the advertising revenue it needs it will die. There simply aren't enough people willing to pay for social media for it to be viable without advertising dollars.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Advertisers are whores. They will be back raining cash as X grows and generates viewers.

X is unlikely to go anywhere.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Some recommendations of who to follow. Once you establish following these members, the Twitter I SAID TWITTER algorithm will display similar content in your timeline, from other members.

In no particular order:

• James Woods

• Libs of TikTok

• Scott Adams

• Andy Ngô

• The Mossad: Satirical, Yet Awesome

• Israel Defense Forces

• Kari Lake

• Glenn Greenwald

• The Gateway Pundit

• RNC Research

• The Babylon Bee

• Moms for Liberty

• Steve Inman

• Carl Benjamin (aka Sargon_of_Akkad)

• Tom Fitton

• Buitengebieden (animals and smiles. Trust me, you'll need it in your timeline)

• B&S (more animals)

• Tucker Carlson

• Tucker Carlson Network

• Attorney General Andrew Bailey

• Rep. Clay Higgins

• Rand Paul

• General Mike Flynn

• Greg Price

• Matt Walsh

• Mike Lindell
  •  
    Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Unflappable Enginerd
    Picture of stoic-one
    posted Hide Post
    Pre-Musk the left used twitter to "craft narratives" for stories and agendas they favored. A large majority of stories pushed by the media were shaped to the left and sourced from twitter. ANY disfavored narratives or stories were shut down.

Musks' biggest gift was "allowing" all sides to be heard, we owe him big time.

NRA Benefactor
    I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
    http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6218 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
  • Buitengebieden (animals and smiles. Trust me, you'll need it in your timeline)
  • This one will regularly bring a smile to your face Smile
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
  • B&S (more animals)
  • I'll have to take a look at that one. Thanks!

More interesting/amusing animal feeds:
    • Nature is Amazing @AMAZINGNATURE
    • Figen @TheFigen_
    • Yog @Yoda4ever
    • The Dodo @dodo

Two of the subject areas I follow most are golf and health/fitness. In the latter category (no particular order):
    • Noah @easygymprogress
    • Chace Chambers @ChamberofFit
    • Huberman Protocols @humbermanrules
    • Coach Friso @TheCoachFriso
    • Fitness Olympia @FitnessOlympia0
    • Science for Sport @ScienceforSport
    • High Performance Founder @hpfounder
    • Wendi A. Irlbeck MS, RDN, LD, CISSN @Wendi_Irlbeck
    • Tobias @HealthOverhaul
    • Dr. BP | Metabolism 2.0 @DrBPHealth
    • Reuben Hewitt @FitFastCoach
    • Chris Beardsley @SandCResearch
    • Ashley Richmond @_AshleyRichmond
    • Danny Foley @danny_ruderock
    • Brooks | Fat Loss Coach @ForeverFatLoss
    • Colin Matson @thecolinmatson
    • William Wayland | Physical Training Craftsman @WSWayland
    • The Sports Physio @AdamMeakins
    • Alan Aragon @TheAlanAragon
    • Brad Schoenfeld, PhD @BradSchoenfeld
    • Daniel Berglind, PhD @DanielBergind
    • Layne Norton, PhD @BioLayne
    • Cedric Bock @thehealthbender
    • Andreas | Fit Father Journey @DadTransformer
    • Johnny Brown @johnnyxbrown
    • Awake The Warrior @AwakeTheWarrior
    • Dan Go @FitFounder
    • Andrew D. Huberman, Ph.D. @hubermanlab
    Some of them post regularly. Others only infrequently.

bigger government
    = smaller citizen
    Picture of Veeper
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Steve Inman

I never tire of his play calls.

Gina Carano and End Wokeness are also pretty good.

Also Kurt Schlichter.

Also, what ever happened to Iowahawk?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Political Cynic
    Picture of nhtagmember
    posted Hide Post
    Does sigforum have an X presence?

Picture of lkdr1989
    posted Hide Post
    Yeah Steve is the best!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by Veeper:
    quote:
    Steve Inman

I never tire of his play calls.

https://twitter.com/SteveInman.../1736464629335785651

https://twitter.com/SteveInman.../1736199933034705058

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Does sigforum have an X presence?
    No

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    He’s like a benevolent feudal lord. Like Trump, he didn’t have to give a fuck as he’s unreachable by the bullshit common people have to wade through but he did. Thank you, Elon Musk.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Greymann
    posted Hide Post
    The left hate free speech.
    The EU is against X.
    LONDON (AP) — The European Commission on Thursday made a formal, legally binding request for information from Elon Musk’s social media platform X over its handling of hate speech, misinformation and violent terrorist content related to the Israel-Hamas war.

It is the first step in what could become the EU’s inaugural investigation under the Digital Services Act, in this case to determine if the site formerly known as Twitter is in compliance with the tough new rules meant to keep users safe online and stop the spread of harmful content.

https://apnews.com/article/mus...446ff1103253e239ce85

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Pyker
    posted Hide Post
    I wonder how the 6500 freeloaders Musk fired last year are doing? All gainfully employed in other fields I trust.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymann:
    The left hate free speech.
    The EU is against X.
    <snip>

Yeah, government censorship. Glad the UK is outta there.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8974 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    goodheart
    Picture of sjtill
    posted Hide Post
    There is a lot of “hate speech” on X, the downside of a social medium dedicated to free speech. I’m sure the EU will try to shut it down using the current turmoil as an excuse, the extending “hate speech” to European conservatives.

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post