SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How does one get a job these days?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does one get a job these days? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Look at what we've become

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I got my most recent job/career from Facebook. I'm part of a local county fraternal/charity men's group.

me too lol

As for the OP, my company hires 50 people a week on average and all over the country. As of this summer, our default position is to be remote first so most jobs especially those not directly supporting customer contracts no longer are tied to an office. They realized productivity is up over the last year so why hold onto real estate costs when it's not required?

As others have said, the timing and ability to start are a LOT of the issue. People hiring need to fill right now unless it's a new in career role. We hire a LOT of veterans too, since we're a defense contractor. Tailor your resume, make sure you mark that you have an active clearance and look at the required skills vs. title and you'll get calls back. Update your profile daily...recruiters get so many hits, they sort by those actively in the market and they can see when you last updated so they know they have someone who'll be responsive if they call/email.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Please check your email.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
What's your skill set, field of expertise and location?

If we were looking for someone today we'd have an immediate need and not want to wait until September.

Operations is what I have the most experience in.

I'll be in Florida between Orlando and Jacksonville so I could commute to either location for work.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
You certainly sound qualified.
You don't show your location and didn't mention the part of the country where you're applying; could it be as simple as the lack of demand in your area right now
?

I'll be in Florida between Jacksonville and Orlando in order to take advantage of both markets.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Are you tailoring your resume and cover letter for each individual job description?

Lots of jobs these days rely on automated software to sift through applications and resumes. They program it to look for certain key words based on the requirements of the position, pick out ones that contain those words to get further human review, and discard the rest.

So it could be that if you're just reusing the same resume for each application, your resume simply doesn't contain the right buzzwords for that specific opening, and is therefore being kicked out before a real human being even lays eyes on it.

I think I need to customize it more and break down each position I've held in the Army from executive officer to trainer to liaison officer to platoon leader, etc. I change things on the resume but likely not enough. I need to change my summary to read smoother and use more civilian terms.

Thing is, I can do a lot of things. It was forced upon me by the Army to do things that weren't related to my MOS. In fact, my MOS, Field Artillery, has no real world application. But the principles of leadership apply everywhere, in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
Big question what do you want to do with all that.

I ultimately want to work in recruiting/HR/hiring/onboarding because I think so many companies are lacking in that department.

quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
The 6-7 second resume reading thing is bullshit.

I read a resume and continue until I see a dis-qualifier. (something I really don't like)

I prefer resumes that include an action=results approach. What did you do - and what was the result/benefit to the Team/Organization/Unit?

At the end of the day - some of the best jobs are obtained by referral/who-you-know. Try and expand your professional and social network.

Good luck.

What are things that cause you to disqualify someone? Gaps?

I need to expand my professional network. I've been using LinkedIn, probably not as much as I should but I need to jump on it ASAP.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
At the risk of sounding like a commercial, make a profile and upload your resume to ZipRecruiter. You can one-click apply to jobs and get email updates about new postings you'd be qualified for.

I had some serious health problems over the last few years and hadn't worked in nearly three. I did what I described above and the day after, I had two interviews that led to offers in 24 hours. I got to choose between them, a first for me. Last Wednesday, I decided the current job wasn't cutting it anymore and updated my resume with my current info. I applied to a job I was interested in, and two hours later, I had an email asking if I would like to phone interview on Friday. That went well and I have an in-person interview this Friday. I also applied to three other jobs that same day in case this didn't pan out and I got two responses asking if I'd like to schedule a phone interview and two phone calls on Thursday from head hunters hiring for jobs similar to what I'm working now.

Just try it. Nothing to lose, and if you feel like you're getting spammed with job posting alerts, you can make a folder for them in your email and a rule to send them straight there like I did. All the other advice is good, but I've never had such interest in me as a potential employee. And yes, I've used Indeed. No such experiences there.

Another think you might consider is using a resume builder website. I actually got complimented on my resume and how clean and concise it was by the HR person I talked to last week. I built mine on Velvetjobs.

I have never used ZipRecruiter but I set up a profile based on your advice. I will see what type of results come in.

quote:
Originally posted by odin:
You didn't mention your age, but there is some "age discrimination" present for those who are over 50. It's never mentioned, but it is apparent.

I was called in to an interview a few years ago because I had listed (accurately) my MS degree in 2001. When they saw me, the faces dropped. I was over 50 and could do the job in my sleep. Never got it!

42 but I certainly don't look 42. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
What type of work do you want to do, Human Resources? Do you have work experience outside the Army and home building? My former employer made a point to interview veterans.

Many companies "froze" hiring for quite some time though that seems to be ending but it depends on the position. In my field ("IT") demand is very high but I'm not sure about others. Theoretically, LinkedIn should "work" in that you shouldn't need to hire someone to help you find a job but, again, it depends on your skills and what you want to do.

I have work experience in special education (I would never go back to it) and operations of a security camera company. I actually wouldn't mind working in home building again but I just don't want to do it in the field. It is simple work, but I don't want to look like a raisin due to getting beat on by the weather every day. I would definitely like the chance to work in finance or director of construction for a home builder. Now some say I'm not qualified to be director of construction but I've worked for a guy who didn't have a GC and never built a home in the field. Somehow he got his position.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Have you thought about applying for a job with a defense contractor? We are beginning to see a LOT of retirements and it’s opening up all kinds of job opportunities. Email me if you want to talk further. They love hiring guys like you with a clearance and military background.

I will e-mail you, PASig.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:

Looking to leave my current employer . . . Looking at going into business for myself.
That is the right idea!

Why work for The Man, when you can be The Man?

I'm trying to buy a business. Been talking to a guy about his business. Looking forward to sitting down and talking with him in the near future. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:
What type of HR/business roles are you applying for? Unfortunately, an MBA without the accompanying business experience is essentially applying for the same roles as a recent undergrad. I don’t disagree that the army provided you with far more valuable skills than some Ivy League school, unfortunately the typical person in a business environment isn’t going to know what that means. Or how it converts into business interactions. Same with building homes. Throw in some age discrimination based on years of service and you’re struggling to get past the screening for HR Generalist/Admin roles…

The items you list, Ie don’t do drugs, clean record, can read’ are also not skills, bluntly, they’re quite literally not even questioned it’s so obvious based on your resume. Show what you did with your MBA or certificate. Give your army roles that used these tools to accomplish something in terms of a civilian role. Leave off military jargon.

Network. Interview potential recruiters to sell you, reach out to a handful that specialize in your industry or function and make it known you’re actively looking (they want fast commissions). Look for temp to hire roles, contract roles, and come in at the lowest level and bust your ass to prove you’re not entry level. Take all tasks, look for anything that’ll get you in front of higher ups, be the first in/last out. Be active on industry topics and news on LinkedIn groups, write an article or blog and get it circulating.

PS: The September date is less of an issue with how slow the cogs turn in the hiring processes these days. That also wouldn’t be flushed out until interview/offer stage which I would delay disclosing.

In HR, I want to really address what I believe are flaws in hiring from screening to interviewing to onboarding.

What I'm gathering now is that I need to remove the Army jargon from my resume and civilianize it.

I have looked at getting a professional resume writer but they're expensive at $700+. And it seems too simple. I mean, if everyone paid $700 to get a resume written, wouldn't everyone be making $100k a year?

quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
As a veteran you get bonus points, well really a multiplier, for government jobs. The IRS will be hiring. You can help with human capital projections and such.

I'm just not sure I want a government job. I can't stand the bureaucracy of government work.

quote:
Originally posted by HKAngusKL:
If you are open to a Federal job and can pass a PFT, I would apply for 1811 series positions. Starting pay is good and benefits are better.

If Federal law enforcement is not your cup of tea, Internal Revenue Service is hiring Revenue Officer positions right now in the Small Business/Self Employed division. The OPM job series is 1169. With an MBA, you'd start out as a GS-9, but get an automatic promotion after a year. The Revenue Officer position is tough, although you do get to learn about businesses and help taxpayers stay on track.

Because you are a veteran, you could also look at the Veterans Benefits Administration as a VSR (good job), and Veterans Health Administration as a Contract Analyst or a Management Analyst.

An additional thought is that some businesses have veteran transition programs and positions designed for career military folks.

https://veteranjobsmission.com/veteran-resources

Shoot me an email if you have any questions or would like to discuss privately.

I'm not sure law enforcement in general is my thing, especially in this atmosphere.

Friend of mine suggested I apply to his police department in southwest Florida. I said no thanks. I already tried that route years ago and failed miserably at it. Not going to disappoint myself again.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Look at what we've become

Unfortunately so. It didn't seem like that long ago when a company had an opening, you applied, submitted a resume and were called for an interview. Now the human element has been removed. I absolutely hate the process.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yes, goodness, remove pretty much every bit of military and .gov jargon unless that's the job you're applying for, most rickytick...

And those ideas of changing this or that about how HR is done are nice, but I'd stow most of that, too, unless by chance that's the specific job you're hired to do. You'll likely neither have the freedom nor authority to change those things and that's probably not what most companies are looking for.

These people pretty much only care if you can do and are the right fit for whatever the description says.

So much so that your resume needs to basically look like they (those hiring) wrote it for you. Every sentence on your resume better have some equivalent to their job posting, more or less, but somehow not lazily like a blatant copy and paste. It is tedious, time consuming, speculative work, but necessary work.

The parity between words in the job description and those in your resume better line up, and well...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
What's your skill set, field of expertise and location?

If we were looking for someone today we'd have an immediate need and not want to wait until September.

Operations is what I have the most experience in.

I'll be in Florida between Orlando and Jacksonville so I could commute to either location for work.

What kind of operations??

Manufacturing, personnel movement, logistics.

"Operations" covers many fields of expertise. For example, I am in the aerospace industry and "Operations" can be anything from field (read: airfield), deployment (read: Field Service Representatives deploying to the sandbox), manufacturing of aircraft and the process/details therein, etc.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Through this whole process, you really see who keeps their word and who just blows smoke up your ass.

People have referred or offered to refer me into their work places. One old MBA classmate has done so on multiple occasions. Another claims to not know who to contact to refer people in. I mean, if I really wanted to refer someone in and there was a referral bonus in it for me, I would probably start with my boss and the person who onboarded me. Like I said, I'm not a genius, but I'm smart enough to know I'm not stupid.

posted Hide Post
The Unemployment Office should have a VA Rep you should be able to talk to. Contact the one in the area you'll be locating to.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our GrandDaughters fiancé was laid off because of the Virus shutting down were he worked. He tried several places with no result. He was born and raised on a large local farm and was used to driving large trucks and machinery. He decided to get his CDL and go into truck driving. He went to the DMV got the manual for CDL, studied and passed the written tests, and the second time passed the driving skills test. He’s had a couple jobs so far and is moving up to a higher paying one hauling Gases to Hospitals and Industries. He done this on his own and didn’t go to a truck driving school saving him $5000. Perseverance on his part done it for him.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
To the OP, after spending 13 years in the military, why do you want to leave when you're only seven years from retirement?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a look at Andromeda Systems Inc in Jacksonville area. https://androsysinc.com/careers/

Run by a bunch of former military people who will appreciate your background and clearance.

Posts: 441 | Location: Wichita, KS USA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitks:
Have a look at Andromeda Systems Inc in Jacksonville area. https://androsysinc.com/careers/

Run by a bunch of former military people who will appreciate your background and clearance.

Thank you for that lead.

I found a position I'm going to be applying for.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Edmond, after reading thru it sounds like your available and have good options considering your qualifications/education. I wish you well and it sounds like your on a very positive path. My best of luck and prosperity to you. I believe you'll do very well.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Edmond, after reading thru it sounds like your available and have good options considering your qualifications/education. I wish you well and it sounds like your on a very positive path. My best of luck and prosperity to you. I believe you'll do very well.

Much better grasp at what I'm dealing with now that SF has parted knowledge on me. I've applied the lessons learned already by applying for a couple of jobs and making a few new LinkedIn connections.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Just saw this on the Fox Business web site not sure if you saw it. Hope this may help.
Charles Payne guide to life after the military.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/me...find-work-make-money

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
And those ideas of changing this or that about how HR is done are nice, but I'd stow most of that, too, unless by chance that's the specific job you're hired to do. You'll likely neither have the freedom nor authority to change those things and that's probably not what most companies are looking for.

Spot on. Not in the interview phase, not until you’re in the organization long enough to have a leg to stand on. Generally, hiring managers don’t like their new employee telling them they’re wrong when training that new employee how to do what they were hired to do.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post