SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I had a heart attack last Friday
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I had a heart attack last Friday Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Yup....did not see this one coming.

Last Friday I had what I considered mild heart burn all day until I was driving home and it started to hurt...similar to bad heart burn then REALLY BAD. What started me worrying was the tingling in my arms and light headedness. So about a mile from home I pulled into the my son's school parking lot and called 911, they were there in less than 10 minute....seemed much longer thought. Once there they got me in the rig and start hooking me up and stabilizing me, this took maybe 5-7 minutes and we were off to the ER another 7-10 minutes.

My wife met us at the parking lot of the school and the EMT told her where we were going so she was there waiting for us, at this time I was still down playing the pain ...at least to her.

Once I was in the ER they had me prepped and ready in less than 10 minutes and the Cardiologist came in stating "lucky you, I just finish up a procedure...let's go"

Once in the OR they were great, explaining everything even making jokes, I was breathing like I was in labor due to the pain but since I had already had 3 hits of morphine the Dr. said "sorry the pain will be gone as soon as I clear the obstruction"

So there we were talking, the Dr. and OR Nurse were even playing bad 80's music trivia...which I was was actively trying to take part in when everything got squirrely. Next thing I know there is a guy over me asking me "Mike are you ok?" To which I replied yup, that's when the DR. cam up and apologized for shocking me......"Really Doc, pretty sure you don't need to apologize for that" Big Grin The Nurse next to me apologized as well....I asked her to please not tell the misses ..

So anyway, they found the artery 100% blocked and put in a stent...that's when things went squirely.

Once complete I was in ICU unto the next afternoon and released on Sunday.

SO far I feel great....easier to get tired is all. Took a week off and maybe next week as well.

A little background on me;
- 44yo
- 6' 230lbs, certainly not fat, 36" waist, 17.5" neck and 49" chest so I carry the weight well.
- last physical my cholesterol was 215...DR. said not a big deal
- not overly active except for hunting in a blue moon and work around the house.
- diet is not bad, ML cooks everything fresh but I did junk out when on the road.
- I smoked and dipped pouches for about 15 years, not heavy in the last 10 years but still.
- Had a coupe lite beers daily and more on the weekends, seldom partied anymore, maybe 3-4 times a year.
- work was fairly stressful which I tended to keep internal...no reason to bother the misses with it.
- Though myself pretty indestructible, seldom sick and even when I am I normally recover in 48 hours or less.

So now I move to the next part of my life, it happened so quickly it doesn't quite seem real. Could not get an appt with my PCP so I am waiting until next Friday (unless they have an opening pop up) with the cardiologist. Taking it easy...which is not easy, doing some light house chores and such and resting otherwise.

Changing the diet, stopped smoking, getting off the pouches is harder but I have cut down by 70% and working to quite entirely (lots of gum).

I am writing this not for sympathy but as a warning to others my age that like me thought it could never happen.

I have to say also the team at Mckinney Medical City were excellent, a good mixture of humor and professionalism as were the EMTs....very good bunch of guys....they knew their business and got it done.

Anyway, any advice for those who have gone through this at a fairly young age? I am feeling great but am worried about what I can and cannot do .....my lawn needs mowed badly (tried calling 4 different service with no call back yet). Feel I can go back to work but since my company requires a release I am pretty much screwed on that until next week.....not so bad I guess besides burning PTO Roll Eyes

Oh well....I look at this as I have been given a 2nd chance....going to try real heard not to screw it up.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Had a stroke when I was 44...just like you say, you never know.

Glad you are well.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Glad you recognized the probable signs and took heed. Many try to “tuff it out”, and either don’t live to tell the tale, or do irreparable damage.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it out uneventfully. Now, onto the second chance chapter of your life.

Q

Posts: 27628 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Scary stuff, I’m happy to hear you’re still with us.

Do you have family history of heart disease?

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am glad to be reading you posting this.

Not much to like, reading someone else posting, about this happening to you.

I'll keep you in prayers for full healing and long healthy life going forward.

You listen to the doctors and start bothering the misses more often...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

That was my first thought. Dad? Grandpa?

44 is awfully young. Although, I once watched a 26 y/o kid die from an MI. So, you never know. At 53 now, I had a stress test last year which was perfectly fine. Thankfully, no real cardiac history in my tree.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
You were wise to recognize the symptoms, dewhorse. I can vividly remember a really young guy having an MI right in front of me when I was a paramedic (years ago). It put the fear of Jesus in me to see it happen to such a young guy. Still scares me when I think about it! I’m 47 and weigh too much Frown Best of luck on the recovery, what part of Texas are you in? I’m in North Richland Hills.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Scary stuff, I’m happy to hear you’re still with us.

Yes in thinking about it I guess both sides have had heart attacks and a few strokes.

And in looking back I would occasionally had chest "stiffness" while mowing and such, it was very similar to what I felt when running hard in the Army so I did not even think about it besides telling myself to get in the gym.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok.

Life can start to add up in the 40s-50s-60s.

Definitely get off the Tobacco.

Both my Grandfathers went via Heart Attacks but my Dad has lived healthy and is at 74. So I hope with diet / exercise / etc I can follow in his footsteps.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
You were wise to recognize the symptoms, dewhorse. I can vividly remember a really young guy having an MI right in front of me when I was a paramedic (years ago). It put the fear of Jesus in me to see it happen to such a young guy. Still scares me when I think about it! I’m 47 and weigh too much Frown Best of luck on the recovery, what part of Texas are you in? I’m in North Richland Hills.

Up in Mckinney...great area, nice being only 10 minutes from an ER Big Grin

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Now on to my mid-life crisis....figuring something fun...sexy...with 4 wheels Cool

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
You sound like you’ve got a handle on things, just dealing with free time. Feel free to drop an email if you need something!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Sounds incredibly frightening! Rest and relax and heal up buddy!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you came through the ordeal well and are still with us.

I am 66 and mom and dad both had bad hearts but so far so good for me. I asked my MD if I should get some testing done with my family history and he did not seem concerned as I was not experiencing any symptoms such as shortness of breath and my other test results including cholesterol are good and my calculated risk factor is good.

Thank for sharing your story as a warning to take any symptoms of heart attack seriously and take appropriate action.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
You sound like you’ve got a handle on things, just dealing with free time. Feel free to drop an email if you need something!

Thank you,

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Since you can't go back to work without a release, try going down to the PCP without an appointment. Walk up to the nice lady and tell her "Good morning. I don't have an appointment. I know sometimes people don't show up or cancel. I will be sitting right over there, with a book. Let me know if something opens up or if the doc can see me between appointments."
You will get seen, eventually.
Bring donuts and you will be seen quickly Wink

Glad you're okay. BTW: which artery did they stent?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you're doing well and you already have appointments/making appointments with your PCP and cardiologist. I'm guessing your PCP will suggest an aspirin regimen and maybe some other meds, possibly some lifestyle/diet changes. Whatever he recommends follow it to the letter.

And the best thing you could have done is realized something was wrong and called 911. All too often you see people blow it off and then have a full blown cardiac arrest, or it self resolves but not after extensive cardiac muscle damage that cripples the heart's function.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I am really glad you are okay. Like monkey, I will be praying for your complete recovery.

Thank you for sharing this; it is a reminder for all of us.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
glad things are turning out good. Take care of your self.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post