SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I had a heart attack last Friday
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I had a heart attack last Friday Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you tried to play the denial game, but your common sense super power kicked in and caused you to call 911. Glad you did, glad the cardiologist was handy, glad you’re making incremental lifestyle changes.

Now. About that mid-life crisis car... Wink

I’m a little past “mid-life,” but I hope you’ll at least drive a Porsche.

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to hear that everything worked out and you were able to get treatment so quickly.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Glad that it was resolved as well as it could have been, but FWIW, at 6'1" and 190 pounds my doctor said I was “obese.”

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
So, what blood thinner are you on? Eliquis?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
WOW! Close call, glad you came through it ok.

Posts: 12237 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My dad had a heart attack while skiing when he was 47. Ended up needing a triple bypass. He is 72 now. Has had a couple of stents placed since the initial graphs were done. He lives a normal life, still eats like crap mostly, but is able to get out and about and come see his grandsons play ball.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Glad that it was resolved as well as it could have been, but FWIW, at 6'1" and 190 pounds my doctor said I was “obese.”

Your BMI is 25.1, ideal range (whatever that is) is considered 18.5-25. 30+ is obese. Unless you are "skinny fat" your doctor is off or you misunderstood.

Skinny fat=high body fat percentage on otherwise lean looking frame.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A little something for your ammo pouch going forward --- Oatmeal (not that quick oats shit, but out of convenience, I don't do steel cut either), with a load pile of cinnamon in it. Should help the cholesterol, and it's filling, so you should drop a few pounds with it too. I eat it at least once, and often twice a day.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
[O]r you misunderstood.

It made quite an impression on me, so I remember it clearly. I weigh more than I’d like, but that was true even 30 years ago when I was comfortably within the Army’s height/weight standard. When I later mentioned something else that she had told me to a different VA doctor, he asked who it was. When I told him her name, he gave me a look, said, “Ah,” and went on to other things, so it may be that some of her opinions were … unorthodox.

Sorry for the diversion, but answering the question.
Again, all the best for a complete recovery.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It made quite an impression on me, so I remember it clearly. I weigh more than I’d like, but that was true even 30 years ago when I was comfortably within the Army’s height/weight standard. When I later mentioned something else that she had told me to a different VA doctor, he asked who it was. When I told him her name, he gave me a look, said, “Ah,” and went on to other things, so it may be that some of her opinions were … unorthodox.

At least he did not say MORBIDLY OBESE.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scary stuff as we’re the same age, glad you got patched up. My boss is mid 50s good numbers and all that and found himself in a similar situation. His job isn’t physical but is stressful. He came back to the office a week or two post stent and later said it was too soon.

Posts: 4333 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Dewhorse, sounds like everything went well beginning when you stopped and called 911 instead of driving to the hospital. That’s the one big mistake people still make, and it delays getting to the cath lab to get the stent. Timing and access to the cath lab are key.
You actually had a cardiac arrest in the cath lab—if that had happened outside that room your chances of survival would have not been good. In that controlled setting—no harm, no foul.

You did not mentioned the meds you were sent home on, but they undoubtedly include a statin, low-dose aspirin and a P2Y12 inhibitor, likely Prasugrel. Maybe a beta-blocker and an ACE inhibitor if your BP were high.

Adherence to the medical regimen prescribed by the cardiologist is going to be key to your doing well in the future. Of course lifestyle changes are important, but sticking to the meds is crucial.

Oh, and I’m glad you added “four wheels” to your description of what you wanted for your mid-life crisis.

Congratulations on being given a second chance on life.

Dr Goodheart
Your friendly SigForum cardiologist

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are here to tell your scary tale. Get better soon!

Posts: 3552 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Dewhorse, sounds like everything went well beginning when you stopped and called 911 instead of driving to the hospital. That’s the one big mistake people still make, and it delays getting to the cath lab to get the stent. Timing and access to the cath lab are key.
You actually had a cardiac arrest in the cath lab—if that had happened outside that room your chances of survival would have not been good. In that controlled setting—no harm, no foul.

You did not mentioned the meds you were sent home on, but they undoubtedly include a statin, low-dose aspirin and a P2Y12 inhibitor, likely Prasugrel. Maybe a beta-blocker and an ACE inhibitor if your BP were high.

Adherence to the medical regimen prescribed by the cardiologist is going to be key to your doing well in the future. Of course lifestyle changes are important, but sticking to the meds is crucial.

Oh, and I’m glad you added “four wheels” to your description of what you wanted for your mid-life crisis.

Congratulations on being given a second chance on life.

Dr Goodheart
Your friendly SigForum cardiologist

Thanks Doc, yea the EMTs were sending data within 2-3 minutes of me getting in the rig, the doc was in the ER in less than 5...

Right about the aspirin...I now have it stuffed everywhere like BOKs :-)

besides that;
Atorvastatin
Lisinopril
Metoprolol
Brilinta

How long do you normally stay on these? Reason I ask is one (or many) make me feel out of it like you do when you have a head cold....not fun

Thanks everyone, like I said I wrote this as a warning to others who like me hit their 40's like they did their 30's...without a care in the world

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Oatmeal <snip> with a load pile of cinnamon in it. Should help the cholesterol
I have a question about the cinnamon: does that do anything for cholesterol, or is it mainly for the flavor?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31452 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I love the way you recount the story, and I'm happy for you that you made it through in high spirits.

I'll keep you in my prayers tonight, hoping that with luck, you don't have any future shocks.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4883 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Oatmeal <snip> with a load pile of cinnamon in it. Should help the cholesterol
I have a question about the cinnamon: does that do anything for cholesterol, or is it mainly for the flavor?

Read up on cinnamon and honey.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup...glad to see YOU are posting this, dewhorse, instead of your family posthumously. Good to hear you're on the mend!! Makes me think I need to go get a stress test done. Maybe I'll do that for my birthday present in January...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a fellow late 40's guy, thanks for the heads up and I'm glad you are feeling better. Good thoughts on a fast recovery.

On the meds you listed, I recall I had issues with Lisinopril. If that doesn't work try Bystolic. My DR. calls it "very clean" as far as side effects. It's supposed to have gone to generic but so far I can't find any. But I have gotten an RX number from the manufacturer that brings the price down to very manageable.

On the mid-life 4 wheel device, are you an off road guy? If so, maybe a Can Am Maverick X3. I see them in the sales lot of the local MC shop and they look to be a 110 percent pure fun.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually at least a year if you had drug eluding stent. Check with your cardiologist on side effects.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post