SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I had a heart attack last Friday
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I had a heart attack last Friday Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am glad it wasn't more severe. Take care of yourself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dewhorse, I am currently going through my own Heart Issues. BTW, I am currently 63, smoked about 1 1/2 packs a day for 37 years and finally quit in 2012.

Back in 1976 I tried to signed up for the Marine Platoon Leader Command program and got bounced because at my induction Physical the Doctor stated I had a Heart Murmur. They ended up placing me on the Inactive Reserve list and since there weren't any shooting wars during the late 70's and the 80's I was never called up.

After being off cigarettes for 3 years in May, 2015 I was parked on the couch flipping through channels on the TV and had an Epiphany. That was if I didn't get my backside off that couch I wouldn't live to see retirement. So, I put the dog on a leash and we went for a 1 mile walk that had my legs on the verge of cramping up as I walked up my driveway. That summer I worked up to 6 miles a day and my weight went from 203 to 157 lbs. When the weather turned I signed up at a gym and started going daily. For the past two years I average about 90 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise every single day. I also use a Garmin Chest Monitor to keep a record of my heart rate during exercise. BTW, the laser based wrist monitors are USELESS for anything more strenuous than sitting, so if you want to get accurate results get a chest monitor that uses electric signals. You can now even get a Kardiamobile electronic wrist monitor that will actually record an Electrocardiogram as you exercise.

Last March I had an attack of Tachycaria AFTER returning home from the gym and having a bowl of cereal. As I was washing the dishes I felt a fluttering in my chest and since I was still wearing my chest monitor I kicked my Garmin 235 into Indoor Cycle mode to get a solid reading on my heart rate and a record I could show my Primary Care Doctor. That attack had my heart rate ranging between 150 and 175 while I was sitting on my couch hoping it would pass. It did finally, after an hour I decided I needed to get to the ER and about 5 minutes from the house my heart rate dropped back to normal. That led to consult with a Cardiologist and wearing an Event monitor for 2 weeks, a Nuclear Stress Test with Echocardiograms before and after the test, a Heart Catheterization, a Trans Esophageal Echocardiogram, a CAT Scan, and a PET Scan. At this point I feel like some medical students experiment or one of the victims on the TV Show House.

End results. First the good. That "spot" on my left lung is most likely scar tissue, it is not Cancer and the PET Scan didn't pick up any Cancer from my head to my knees.

Think about this, 37 years of 1 1/2 packs a day had me sweating bullets about Lung Cancer. Any time you are wavering about quitting tobacco just think about how you would feel if a Doctor had to tell you that you have Cancer. I can tell you that in my experience all those "quit aids" are nothing but a disguised scheme to keep you hooked on Nicotine. The easiest way to quit smoking is to go Cold Turkey. You get over the physical symptoms of withdrawal in about 5 days. After that it's all in your head. Now, I am a cheapskate in many respects and what worked for me was to think about the cost, I was spending 10 dollars a day for Nicotine. The effect of quitting for me was an extra 300 dollars a month cash money. Now anytime I get the urge for a smoke all I have to do is say to myself "10 dollars a day".

The bad news is that I need Open Heart Surgery to repair my Mitral Valve and bypass 3 blockages. BTW, due to my steady exercise my heart has opened up peripherals to act as a bypasses so I have not had any diagnosable Heart Attacks. However one area of my heart doesn't contract "quite right" so my Cardio thinks it's about 50/50 I've had a "silent" heart attack or it's a birth defect. Fortunately my Ejection Fraction is normal or a bit above normal so I am pretty much asymptomatic. However due to the Mitral Valve Regurgitation I do have Pulmonary Hypertension which does cause a dry cough rather frequently and it can lead to permanent damage to the lungs and heart. So it's got to be fixed.

Now for something that may blow your mind a bit. Both my Primary, Cardiologist, and Cardiac Surgeon have told my to Continue to Exercise. My only instructions are to NOT push hard enough that I start to feel discomfort in either Chest, Breathing, or Legs. So, I have stopped trying to break the 10 minute per mile barrier, doing that will have to wait until after the surgery and total recovery. I would suggest you have a long talk with your Cardiologist about taking up exercising. Quite simply there may be no reason at all for you to take it easy right now. If so, and with the approval of your cardiologist, get off your backside and start walking. In 3 months you should be able to get down to about a 14:10 pace with a HR in the range of 115 which is darned near perfect for someone your age. BTW, every year more studies indicate that the BEST exercise for the Heart isn't Running, it is Walking.

I know, I've been talking about breaking 10 minutes per mile and that is running, however 90% of what I do is walking or using an Elliptical trainer. This mornings exercise was walking the dog for 2.6 miles at an average HR of 88 bpm and then 40 minutes on an Elliptical at an average HR of 116 bpm. Odd as it seems almost every exercise physiologist will tell you that the fastest path to good running times is lots and lots of time spent doing much milder Aerobic exercise.

Bottomline is this, we have both hit a "bump in the road". Best thing to do in response is to take a positive position and be mindful of what our body tells us and make moderate daily exercise a lifelong habit.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hi dewhorse. To answer your questions:

Atorvastatin: lifelong; not only reduces cholesterol but has other benefits such as reducing inflammation; watch for muscle cramps, otherwise side effects unlikely.

Lisinopril: for BP and shown to reduce risk of heart attack and stroke for those at increased risk; watch for chronic cough, in which case can be switched to losartan; unlikely to be causing your fogginess.

Metoprolol: proven benefit in reducing risk of death after MI; but can cause fatigue, mental fog; if continues to be problematic your cardiologist may reduce dose or switch, but many patients get used to it

Brilinta: generic names is ticagrelor; equivalent to prasugrel (Effient) or clopidogrel (Plavix). Needs to be continued usually for 12 months unless switched to one of the others in this class (your cardiologist will tell you when you can quit). Watch for bleeding, severe bruising. Think of it as a super-aspirin. It's extremely important in keeping your stent open; without it there can be clots that form inside the stent, which you do NOT want.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad your Ok to give some good advice. Best of luck on your new outlook!

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Oatmeal <snip> with a load pile of cinnamon in it. Should help the cholesterol
I have a question about the cinnamon: does that do anything for cholesterol, or is it mainly for the flavor?

Honestly, I only add it for flavor. A lot of it. It brings a sweetness to the nuttiness of the oats. But I understand it helps regulate blood sugars and does some other good stuff.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Wow! That had to be scary. Glad you're OK.

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23691 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Glad that it was resolved as well as it could have been, but FWIW, at 6'1" and 190 pounds my doctor said I was “obese.”

Your BMI is 25.1, ideal range (whatever that is) is considered 18.5-25. 30+ is obese. Unless you are "skinny fat" your doctor is off or you misunderstood.

Skinny fat=high body fat percentage on otherwise lean looking frame.

Agreed. Your doctor read the chart wrong.

There is no way in heck that the measurement is precise enough for an individual to be "healthy/normal" at 25.0 and "unhealthy" at 25.1

As I recall, the negative health implications don't really start to kick in until above 30 BMI, and some studies actually show reduced morbidity up to about 27.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
dewhorse,

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
If you need the yard work done, let me know brother and I'll come. My email is in my profile

take care

Posts: 381 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
glad things worked out well

Posts: 2638 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear everything has worked out for you! Keep up the positive changes you are making in your life.

At 54, I had a minor heart attack, complete blockage, which required a stint. I had been working out regularly and losing weight prior. No warning signs prior to the MI. My cardiologist said it's not unheard of.

A friend told me of a Marine pilot who had just completed a stress test for a medical certificate. After he was cleared for his medical, and as he walked across the doctor's parking lot, he had a heart attack.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you had the good sense to pull over and call 911. Good decision not to try and tough it out. Hope your recovery goes well.

Posts: 3649 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok and really glad you pulled over and called 911 instead of trying to shrug it off.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
This was a blessing. Early warning, and you will feel better with the stent. More oxygen to,the heart muscle and more energy overall.

My dad had a similar episode July 6th, scary but because of this you will see your grandkids Smile

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Glad you pulled through.

Posts: 6048 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
dewhorse

glad you are still with us

get and stay better Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53851 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a full recovery and good health!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Atorvastatin: lifelong; not only reduces cholesterol but has other benefits such as reducing inflammation; watch for muscle cramps, otherwise side effects unlikely.

Lisinopril: for BP and shown to reduce risk of heart attack and stroke for those at increased risk; watch for chronic cough, in which case can be switched to losartan; unlikely to be causing your fogginess.

Metoprolol: proven benefit in reducing risk of death after MI; but can cause fatigue, mental fog; if continues to be problematic your cardiologist may reduce dose or switch, but many patients get used to it

Brilinta: generic names is ticagrelor; equivalent to prasugrel (Effient) or clopidogrel (Plavix). Needs to be continued usually for 12 months unless switched to one of the others in this class (your cardiologist will tell you when you can quit). Watch for bleeding, severe bruising. Think of it as a super-aspirin. It's extremely important in keeping your stent open; without it there can be clots that form inside the stent, which you do NOT want.

Thanks again Doc!

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Dewhorse, I am currently going through my own Heart Issues. BTW, I am currently 63, smoked about 1 1/2 packs a day for 37 years and finally quit in 2012.

Back in 1976 I tried to signed up for the Marine Platoon Leader Command program and got bounced because at my induction Physical the Doctor stated I had a Heart Murmur. They ended up placing me on the Inactive Reserve list and since there weren't any shooting wars during the late 70's and the 80's I was never called up.

After being off cigarettes for 3 years in May, 2015 I was parked on the couch flipping through channels on the TV and had an Epiphany. That was if I didn't get my backside off that couch I wouldn't live to see retirement. So, I put the dog on a leash and we went for a 1 mile walk that had my legs on the verge of cramping up as I walked up my driveway. That summer I worked up to 6 miles a day and my weight went from 203 to 157 lbs. When the weather turned I signed up at a gym and started going daily. For the past two years I average about 90 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise every single day. I also use a Garmin Chest Monitor to keep a record of my heart rate during exercise. BTW, the laser based wrist monitors are USELESS for anything more strenuous than sitting, so if you want to get accurate results get a chest monitor that uses electric signals. You can now even get a Kardiamobile electronic wrist monitor that will actually record an Electrocardiogram as you exercise.

Last March I had an attack of Tachycaria AFTER returning home from the gym and having a bowl of cereal. As I was washing the dishes I felt a fluttering in my chest and since I was still wearing my chest monitor I kicked my Garmin 235 into Indoor Cycle mode to get a solid reading on my heart rate and a record I could show my Primary Care Doctor. That attack had my heart rate ranging between 150 and 175 while I was sitting on my couch hoping it would pass. It did finally, after an hour I decided I needed to get to the ER and about 5 minutes from the house my heart rate dropped back to normal. That led to consult with a Cardiologist and wearing an Event monitor for 2 weeks, a Nuclear Stress Test with Echocardiograms before and after the test, a Heart Catheterization, a Trans Esophageal Echocardiogram, a CAT Scan, and a PET Scan. At this point I feel like some medical students experiment or one of the victims on the TV Show House.

End results. First the good. That "spot" on my left lung is most likely scar tissue, it is not Cancer and the PET Scan didn't pick up any Cancer from my head to my knees.

Think about this, 37 years of 1 1/2 packs a day had me sweating bullets about Lung Cancer. Any time you are wavering about quitting tobacco just think about how you would feel if a Doctor had to tell you that you have Cancer. I can tell you that in my experience all those "quit aids" are nothing but a disguised scheme to keep you hooked on Nicotine. The easiest way to quit smoking is to go Cold Turkey. You get over the physical symptoms of withdrawal in about 5 days. After that it's all in your head. Now, I am a cheapskate in many respects and what worked for me was to think about the cost, I was spending 10 dollars a day for Nicotine. The effect of quitting for me was an extra 300 dollars a month cash money. Now anytime I get the urge for a smoke all I have to do is say to myself "10 dollars a day".

The bad news is that I need Open Heart Surgery to repair my Mitral Valve and bypass 3 blockages. BTW, due to my steady exercise my heart has opened up peripherals to act as a bypasses so I have not had any diagnosable Heart Attacks. However one area of my heart doesn't contract "quite right" so my Cardio thinks it's about 50/50 I've had a "silent" heart attack or it's a birth defect. Fortunately my Ejection Fraction is normal or a bit above normal so I am pretty much asymptomatic. However due to the Mitral Valve Regurgitation I do have Pulmonary Hypertension which does cause a dry cough rather frequently and it can lead to permanent damage to the lungs and heart. So it's got to be fixed.

Now for something that may blow your mind a bit. Both my Primary, Cardiologist, and Cardiac Surgeon have told my to Continue to Exercise. My only instructions are to NOT push hard enough that I start to feel discomfort in either Chest, Breathing, or Legs. So, I have stopped trying to break the 10 minute per mile barrier, doing that will have to wait until after the surgery and total recovery. I would suggest you have a long talk with your Cardiologist about taking up exercising. Quite simply there may be no reason at all for you to take it easy right now. If so, and with the approval of your cardiologist, get off your backside and start walking. In 3 months you should be able to get down to about a 14:10 pace with a HR in the range of 115 which is darned near perfect for someone your age. BTW, every year more studies indicate that the BEST exercise for the Heart isn't Running, it is Walking.

I know, I've been talking about breaking 10 minutes per mile and that is running, however 90% of what I do is walking or using an Elliptical trainer. This mornings exercise was walking the dog for 2.6 miles at an average HR of 88 bpm and then 40 minutes on an Elliptical at an average HR of 116 bpm. Odd as it seems almost every exercise physiologist will tell you that the fastest path to good running times is lots and lots of time spent doing much milder Aerobic exercise.

Bottomline is this, we have both hit a "bump in the road". Best thing to do in response is to take a positive position and be mindful of what our body tells us and make moderate daily exercise a lifelong habit.

Thanks for sharing, never been a runner even on active duty I would rather tab than run. I am going to start walking....slowly this week, keep a good 16:30 pace (I have short legs Roll Eyes)

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Thanks again Doc!

Lisinopril gave me the dry cough and made me feel like I had the flu all the time, minus the nausea and vomiting. Losartan and Bystolic worked much better for me.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Wow, glad that you are ok. It's good that you recognized that something was not right (in time).

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post