SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F-35 Stealth Fighter Goes Missing Near North Charleston After Pilot Ejects
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F-35 Stealth Fighter Goes Missing Near North Charleston After Pilot Ejects Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
For chrissakes, can we ease up on all the damn exclamation points?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

What's the problem???

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30723 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely!!!

Posts: 6405 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
over 40 years, i flew 19k hours in helicopters with many indications

Yes, but did you ever eject from one? Wink

nope, maybe a good thing about helicopters!!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
As a retired AF Lt. Col., I find all this drama puzzling. In the past, all the services were as forthcoming as possible. Trust and credibility with the public were considered important. Apparently, values have changed over the years.

Yup, you and (F-14 RIO) Ward Carroll, CDR, USN (RET) remain perplexed. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
over 40 years, i flew 19k hours in helicopters with many indications

Yes, but did you ever eject from one? Wink

nope, maybe a good thing about helicopters!!
I seem to recall one ejectable helicopter, a Russian model. Kamov maybe? An explosive charge separates the rotor head before the seats fire. Still sounds a little frightening.

ETA: Kamov Ka-50. Pass.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GAO report: F35s on average, mission capable 55% of time.

What GAO Found

Maintenance challenges negatively affect F-35 aircraft readiness. The F-35 fleet
mission capable rate—the percentage of time the aircraft can perform one of its
tasked missions—was about 55 percent in March 2023, far below program goals.
This performance was due in part to challenges with depot and organizational
maintenance (see fig.). The program was behind schedule in establishing depot
maintenance activities to conduct repairs. As a result, component repair times
remained slow with over 10,000 waiting to be repaired—above desired levels. At
the same time, organizational-level maintenance has been affected by a number
of issues, including a lack of technical data and training.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-23-105341.pdf

Posts: 12732 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
The ratio of F-35 problems to F-22 problems is amazing. I don’t have hard numbers, but I can’t recall seeing any reports of significant F-22 problems in the last couple of years. The F-35 is a vastly different story.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Didn't F-22 have an oxygen system problem that was pretty bad and suspected as having caused more than one crash? They had grounded them all, and this was before F-35 was pronounced ready for primetime.

Only one I ever heard of though.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 911 call showing interaction between an operator and the F35 pilot who ejected over South Carolina last weekend has been released

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...t-sure-plane-is.html

The unnamed pilot, a 47-year-old with decades of flying experience, parachuted into a resident's back yard from 2,000ft after the super-advanced stealth aircraft suffered a malfunction over Charleston.

More at link

Posts: 12732 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
The 911 call showing interaction between an operator and the F35 pilot who ejected over South Carolina last weekend has been released

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...t-sure-plane-is.html

The unnamed pilot, a 47-year-old with decades of flying experience, parachuted into a resident's back yard from 2,000ft after the super-advanced stealth aircraft suffered a malfunction over Charleston.

More at link

What I am surprised about is that he called 911. Wouldn't he have a squadron commander, or some emergency contact at the base to call? I mean, if he needed immediate assistance, or the crash set someone's house on fire, I get a 911 call, but that wasn't the case.

Maybe that was the AI that took over the plane, though . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

The unnamed pilot, a 47-year-old

An active duty 47-year-old fighter pilot?

Can't be too many of them.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Sounds like either the Squadron CO or XO given the age.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Sounds like either the Squadron CO or XO given the age.

That would be my guess. Almost got to be a Lt. Colonel or Colonel at that age.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Assuming the pilot was commissioned at 21-22 y/o, the pilot would have around 25-26 years of service.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post