SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F-35 Stealth Fighter Goes Missing Near North Charleston After Pilot Ejects
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F-35 Stealth Fighter Goes Missing Near North Charleston After Pilot Ejects Login/Join 
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
You would think they would have a data feed uplink of GPS to the moment of impact. Hell, my fucking Airpods tell me where they're at,.. incessantly.

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
$98,000,000 and they don't have any sort of tracking device on it?

Apple tags are $30

LMAO!

Agreed!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5914 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Well, it is a Stealth plane. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have a locator on it.

It communicates with AWACS and other .mil assets. It's not dark. And certainly not in peacetime over S. Carolina.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I feel like an idiot suggesting this, but you’d think there’d be a dead man locator, where the aircraft would transmit a gps ping after x amount of time if it fails to receive input from the pilot and is outside proximity. That being said, being under a few hundred feet of water might interfere even if it did.

Posts: 2019 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I’m hoping they find and recover it before it before the pieces end up labeled “Scrap Metal” in a shipping container headed to China.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2109 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Seeing reports on Twitter saying the jet was on autopilot and "no evidence of a crash".

What?
Obviously, the on-board AI took control and added the plane to Sky-Net's assets at the hidden Arctic airbase.

Posts: 6509 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen a report describing the condition that caused the pilot to believe that an ejection was necessary?

“The pilot ejected and parachuted safely into a residential area. He was taken to a local hospital, where he was in stable condition
……
Officials are still investigating why the pilot ejected, authorities said. …”

https://mol.im/a/12530467

Why don’t they just ask him?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there an incident a while back where a pilot ejected from one of these things while it was on the ground? IIRC there was some discussion here about the plane being set up to automatically eject the crew in certain circumstances. I wonder if something like that is what happened.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, it is a Stealth plane. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have a locator on it.

Well, one supposes such a locator could be turned off in peacetime. . .

Kind of funny - the USAF lost an 'invisible' jet. Well, yeah, that is why they build stealth airplanes. Because they are hard to find.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
So the same gov that thinks I can’t be responsible enough to safely own and operate a semi-auto rifle, is asking the general public for help finding their $100M fighter/bomber?

Do I have that right?

Big Grin Clowns.

Posts: 10760 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It communicates with AWACS and other .mil assets. It's not dark. And certainly not in peacetime over S. Carolina.

Via LINK16 and similar encrypted data systems. Which require power to operate.

They’ll find the jet. The most likely reason for the very confused reporting surrounding this episode is that journalists are idiots and terrible at accurately communicating information.

Yes there are idiosyncrasies when a jet designed to be stealthy goes down. And yes, it is much harder to find objects crashed in a forest than you might imagine. Much like the multiple weather balloons shot down in a surge of panic a few months ago, this is a strange story which we’ll likely never hear the full explanation for.

Posts: 2405 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
The most likely reason for the very confused reporting surrounding this episode is that journalists are idiots and terrible at accurately communicating information.
Cowboy has identified 99.99999% of the problem. Just sayin'...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Guys, I found it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30430 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
That doesn’t even seem possible in this day and age with the ridiculous amount of technology available.

It’s actually embarrassing that they have a missing persons report to the general public about this.

I know there is a difference between the Indian Ocean and the continental US, but look how long it took to narrow down the track of that airliner.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I feel like an idiot suggesting this, but you’d think there’d be a dead man locator, where the aircraft would transmit a gps ping after x amount of time if it fails to receive input from the pilot and is outside proximity. That being said, being under a few hundred feet of water might interfere even if it did.

Again, wouldn't that be bad in wartime? Would you really want a locator in a super secret plane that a pilot or crew has to remember to turn off before a combat mission?

Atlantic Ocean seems possible, and it could be hard to find underwater. Th plane was near a largish lake, too. But even a crash in the woods could be hard to find.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vgex:
Again, wouldn't that be bad in wartime? Would you really want a locator in a super secrete plane that a pilot or crew has to remember to turn off before a combat mission?

My limited understanding is this plane was stateside, not currently performing clandestine stuff or in enemy or contested areas. So my idea should still be relevant.

If you're suggesting these planes should NEVER have that capability, because they are "stealthy" craft, to me, seems like a great way to commit fraud against the American taxpayer.

Deactivating said device, rather than having no device at all, makes way more sense during sensitive operations.

Posts: 2019 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The F-35B has an automatic ejection, but I believe it is only operational with the jet in hover mode.

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Wasn't there an incident a while back where a pilot ejected from one of these things while it was on the ground? IIRC there was some discussion here about the plane being set up to automatically eject the crew in certain circumstances. I wonder if something like that is what happened.

Posts: 144 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Would like to hear from the pilot what he thinks went wrong and why he had to abandon the plane in flight. Not a good career move for a pilot.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1568 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Would like to hear from the pilot what he thinks went wrong and why he had to abandon the plane in flight. Not a good career move for a pilot.

See my post above on this page.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
And these are the idiots who say I can't be trusted with an AR 15.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You would think they would have a data feed uplink of GPS to the moment of impact. Hell, my fucking Airpods tell me where they're at,.. incessantly.

Kinda my thinking as well.
Don’t they track their flight on radar?
I do understand it’s stealth, but there has to be a way for the military to track their own aircraft in the air.

Posts: 1179 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post