SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F-35 Stealth Fighter Goes Missing Near North Charleston After Pilot Ejects
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F-35 Stealth Fighter Goes Missing Near North Charleston After Pilot Ejects Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
You would think they would have a data feed uplink of GPS to the moment of impact. Hell, my fucking Airpods tell me where they're at,.. incessantly.

Kinda my thinking as well.
Don’t they track their flight on radar?
I do understand it’s stealth, but there has to be a way for the military to track their own aircraft in the air.
I dunno, if you are constantly send a stream of GPS data, that is a data stream (presumably over some manner of radio waves that could be tracked). If the signal could be received and the encryption cracked, then the recipient could read the gps location data, but that isn’t necessary to track the transmission and locate the aircraft. Doesn’t seem like a feature I’d want on anything I was flying…

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If they want help finding it, then it would be nice if they’d at least tell us what color it is.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Well, it is a Stealth plane. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have a locator on it.

It communicates with AWACS and other .mil assets. It's not dark. And certainly not in peacetime over S. Carolina.

Via LINK16 and similar encrypted data systems. Which require power to operate.

They’ll find the jet. The most likely reason for the very confused reporting surrounding this episode is that journalists are idiots and terrible at accurately communicating information.

Yes there are idiosyncrasies when a jet designed to be stealthy goes down. And yes, it is much harder to find objects crashed in a forest than you might imagine. Much like the multiple weather balloons shot down in a surge of panic a few months ago, this is a strange story which we’ll likely never hear the full explanation for.

Don't you come in here with your logic and reason, Captain Buzzkill!

We are having a ball with our speculation and monday morning quarterbacking!

Posts: 5154 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Missing cats and dogs, call this XXX number. Missing kids on milk cartons, call XXX. And now this:
If you have any information that would assist the recovery teams, please call the JB Charleston Base Defense Operations Center at 843-963-3600. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
quote:
Well, it is a Stealth plane. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have a locator on it.

It communicates with AWACS and other .mil assets. It's not dark. And certainly not in peacetime over S. Carolina.

Via LINK16 and similar encrypted data systems. Which require power to operate.

They’ll find the jet. The most likely reason for the very confused reporting surrounding this episode is that journalists are idiots and terrible at accurately communicating information.

Yes there are idiosyncrasies when a jet designed to be stealthy goes down. And yes, it is much harder to find objects crashed in a forest than you might imagine. Much like the multiple weather balloons shot down in a surge of panic a few months ago, this is a strange story which we’ll likely never hear the full explanation for.

Don't you come in here with your logic and reason, Captain Buzzkill!

We are having a ball with our speculation and monday morning quarterbacking!

And even if the data or tracking or whatever, can track it to within a mile or so, that last bit could be tricky, especially if it really did hit water.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone should ask the pilot?

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10952 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Well, one supposes such a locator could be turned off in peacetime. . .

Kind of funny - the USAF lost an 'invisible' jet. Well, yeah, that is why they build stealth airplanes. Because they are hard to find.

This was the Marine Corp, not the Air Force.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Well, one supposes such a locator could be turned off in peacetime. . .

Kind of funny - the USAF lost an 'invisible' jet. Well, yeah, that is why they build stealth airplanes. Because they are hard to find.

This was the Marine Corp, not the Air Force.

That’s true, it’s a marine jet. They should be able to follow the line of melted crayons to the the final resting place, lol.

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
First place I'm checking is some Lance Corporal's barracks.

I was going to gues my wife's purse but this makes more sense.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1963 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Could this be a possible defection situation?

Nothing about the story seems to make sense, I’m now reading that the pilot purposely put it on autopilot and then ejected?

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
AI ejected the pilot. Now HAL has an F-35.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Open the Bomb Bay doors, Hal... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8949 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It appears it was just located crashed in a field in Williamsburg Co, SC

LM execs have to be shitting a brick that there’s a major issue here I’ll bet.

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
The Air Force has lost a few nuclear bombs over the years; what's an F-35 compared to that? Roll Eyes

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Link

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Marines...you just can't give them anything nice.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

LM execs have to be shitting a brick that there’s a major issue here I’ll bet.

Yeah. Our son just Apple Direct Messaged (or whatever you call itSmile) my wife saying they found it 2 miles from his house. He lives in Hemingway, SC. He said the whole area's kind of swampy & the SC game wardens have all the roads blocked off.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Marines...you just can't give them anything nice.

I was in the Marines back in the 60's. Back then they had a saying that went something like:
Lock a Marine private in a windowless room with three anvils. Come back a couple hours later and one will be broken beyond repair, one will be pregnant, and the other will have disappeared completely.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ho Lee FuCk.

No, that was another pilot, different airplane.
I think his co-pilot was Som Ting Wong, Nav might have been We Too Lo. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post