SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Coffee? Pour over or French Press? **Made my Purchase**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Coffee? Pour over or French Press? **Made my Purchase** Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
Okay so I have only had your typical coffee maker coffee and then now for the last several years I have been using a Keurig. My wife no longer thinks the coffee tastes good and wants to try something different.

I have never used a French press, but hear great things about it. My sister-in-law uses a pour over Chemex and it is supposed to make very good coffee.

Which is better? Pour over Chemex, or a French press?

I do want it to be easy to make the coffee. I have read that with the Chemex, and I would imagine with a French press as well, that the water has to be at a specific temperature to make good coffee. The Chemex glass container is $40 and it with a water Brewer is $350. I can’t imagine paying $300 to ensure water is heated to the exact right temperature. I should be able to boil water to the right temp.

Just curious to hear opinions here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StorminNormin,

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
For a brew that equals a Chemex get a Technivorm. Hand made in the Netherlands. Highest quality.
Brews a pot in 6 minutes.

It only does one thing: brew great coffee. No autostart, no cute graphics. No LCD display.

Highly recommended by a famous coffee snob. (Me!)

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I like my clever dripper.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Elite instant from Israel (available on Amazon).

Not kidding.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:
For a brew that equals a Chemex get a Technivorm. Hand made in the Netherlands. Highest quality.

It only does one thing: brew great coffee. No autostart, no cute graphics. No LCD display.

What is the difference between either a Chemex or Technivorm versus an old school drip coffee maker? Chemex and Technivorm cost way more obviously, but all of them put hot water over coffee grounds. What makes either Chemex or Technivorm make better coffee?

My wife and I only have one cup of coffee each in the morning. If she doesn’t like a Keurig anymore than I wonder what is the best option. I do want good coffee, but I don’t have a ton of money to put towards it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Some things that influence the taste of coffee.

1. Water, seems obvious. Filter your water.
2. The coffee beans themselves. Beans from different areas have different flavors i.e. some are more acidic than others. Blends vary based on the type & number of different beans. Grinding your beans before brewing gives better flavor.
3. Found this at Epicurious The Best Way to Brew Your Coffee

Honestly I used filtered water into a drip coffee maker (Bunn) into a thermal carafe.

If this seems a bit disjointed, I'm trying to type this watching game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Melitta Drip thing and a $4 box of filters.

For 1 cup each in the morning checkout the Melitta Drip. With a grinder and some good beans you'll be golden.

https://www.melitta.com/tips_to_a_better_cup_en.html

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:

What is the difference between either a Chemex or Technivorm versus an old school drip coffee maker? Chemex and Technivorm cost way more obviously, but all of them put hot water over coffee grounds. What makes either Chemex or Technivorm make better coffee?

My wife and I only have one cup of coffee each in the morning. If she doesn’t like a Keurig anymore than I wonder what is the best option. I do want good coffee, but I don’t have a ton of money to put towards it.

Water temp, dwell time, uniformity of water distribution over the grounds.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
French Press. More labor but, better coffee.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Aeropress if you've got the time.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hate to bring this in, but this Link does point out what I thought I recalled: French press coffee has a lot of oil, which contributes to the flavor, but may be unhealthy, raising LDL (bad) cholesterol.
I myself have a Technivorm. I’m not sure I can tell the difference between that and the coffee I make with a $15 Walmart coffee maker, but then I’m not using fresh-roasted coffee.
At least I know that the Technivorm is doing its job well, and occasionally impress guests.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
French press. Just boil the water, set it aside and slowly pour it in to a glass measuring cup. It cools it enough below boiling.

As For the coffee, there are different kinds I like. Right now it’s kicking horse kickass. A pinch of kosher salt can wake up the flavor. And if I use cream, it’s heavy whipping cream, organic grass fed.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Hate to bring this in, but this Link does point out what I thought I recalled: French press coffee has a lot of oil, which contributes to the flavor, but may be unhealthy, raising LDL (bad) cholesterol.
I myself have a Technivorm. I’m not sure I can tell the difference between that and the coffee I make with a $15 Walmart coffee maker, but then I’m not using fresh-roasted coffee.
At least I know that the Technivorm is doing its job well, and occasionally impress guests.
When I bought my Dad his Technivorm we did a taste test against his Mr Coffee using the same coffee. The Technivorm extracted much more flavor from the coffee. Didn’t have a thermometer handy but the Technivorm was definitely warmer which is why it had a SCA certification and the Mr Coffee didn’t.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have a Behmor Brazen Plus coffee maker set to 203 degrees with a Pre-soak time of 1 minute. It makes excellent coffee.

Posts: 6632 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
French Press. More labor but, better coffee.
Agreed.

More of a ceremony (if that's the right word?) during the process. It's like a 12-step process:

1. Fill the pot with fresh water and place it on boil.
2. Let dogs out to pee.
3. Grind the beans and place in press.
4. Let dogs in from peeing.
5. Wait for water to boil.
6. Let dogs out because door is closed.
7. When water boils, pour into press.
8. Let dogs in because door is closed.
9. After a few minutes, slowly press down coffee.
10. Gently pour into cup.
11. Let dogs out because door is closed.
12. Enjoy coffee while listening to dogs wanting back in because door is closed.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I like my clever dripper.

+1
All the benefits of a French Press and Pour Over without the sediment.

This is the way I go when I don't use my prosumer espresso machine. And over the years I've used them all (French Press, Pour Overs, Drip, percolator, etc.). I also have an older drip unit for larger crowds that exceeds the SCA temperature guidelines.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I've got a Melitta Drip thing and a $4 box of filters.

I hauled my Technivorm into the cellar after 15 faithful years. Now it is the plastic pour-over and Trader Joe's $2/100 non-bleached filters. Currently I'm using their $4/13oz Joe's Dark Roast. A super-heaping table spoon to 400 ml freshly boiled water.

French press has never worked out for me. Maybe wrong coffee or technique, but the brew always tastes bitter and never hot enough.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We recently got an electric water kettle ($22) and stainless double wall French press ($23) from Amazon after having French press coffee for the first time while on vacation.

Very impressed with the results compared to the Keurig we have been using for years. According to my web research, for French press coffee should be brewed 4 minutes with water between 195 and 205 degrees.

Here is how I do it:
-Filtered water in kettle, start - takes about three minutes to bring to a boil
-Hot water in the French press while the water in the kettle is heating to warm the press and keep water temp up while brewing
-Once water boils, open top of kettle, let sit for about 30 seconds or so for temp to come under 205
-Dump water from press, add measured grounds
-Pour just enough water to cover grounds, pause 30 seconds to let coffee off gas
-Pour rest of water in press and press plunger down just until water comes through screen
-Close press and “swirl” to ensure coffee is distributed in water
-Set timer for 4 minutes
-Occasionally “swirl” while brewing (every minute or so)
-When time is up, press and pour.

Typing it out, it seems more complicated than it is. Whole process, start to finish is about 10 minutes.

Of course, it all starts with good coffee. We are using a Peaberry coffee blend that is very smooth and low acid. I usually take cream and fake sugar, but have been forgoing the sugar since we started this way.

There is noticeably more “sediment” at the bottom of the cup when using French press and you see the oils that are usually absorbed by a paper filter. I don’t find the sediment objectionable and I tend to swirl the cup every time I go for a drink to keep it circulated. Definitely smoother and richer flavor.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10952 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Melitta pour-over.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a Nespresso Pixie coffee maker since 2009. It’s a pod type, like Keurig, but much better, IMO. Makes the best coffee that I’ve ever had in my home. Not cheap, but so good. My favorite Nespresso coffee is dark roast Ristretto.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post