SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Coffee? Pour over or French Press? **Made my Purchase**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Coffee? Pour over or French Press? **Made my Purchase** Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
So today I went and bought the Technivorm Moccamaster 10 cup Coffee Maker with Glass Carafe. I also bought a burr grinder, but it wasn’t in stock so it will get delivered in a few days. While I was at the grocery store today I bought some fresh ground coffee. I normally don’t drink coffee during the day, but I wanted to try it out so here I sit having a cup of coffee from it. I can definitely taste a difference.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8673 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your machine! After all these threads, my coffee is starting to taste flat. I may get some whole bean and try pre-dawn grinding.

When I ran my 'Vorm, some winter mornings it would be barely breaking 60˚ in the kitchen. A pot of water to warm everything up is a luxury if you have the time. The guy who taught me extraction even first ran water through it in the summer.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Congrats on your machine! After all these threads, my coffee is starting to taste flat. I may get some whole bean and try pre-dawn grinding.

When I ran my 'Vorm, some winter mornings it would be barely breaking 60˚ in the kitchen. A pot of water to warm everything up is a luxury if you have the time. The guy who taught me extraction even first ran water through it in the summer.

Running a pot of water to warm it up makes a lot of sense after all I have read about making good coffee. Having the time before running off to work may be another thing, but on the weekends I think I will for sure.

Posts: 8673 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re used to a 12 cup coffee maker like I am a little tip for you....fill the Moccamaster water reservoir all the way up to the very top past the 10 cup mark. The little notches in the front and back...all the way to juuuust past those notches and it’ll basically be equivalent to your old 12 cup carafe. Gotta be a bit more careful pulling the carafe out because it’s so full, but it’s easier to pull out if you remove it from the long end instead of at the front of the coffee maker.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
If you’re used to a 12 cup coffee maker like I am a little tip for you....fill the Moccamaster water reservoir all the way up to the very top past the 10 cup mark. The little notches in the front and back...all the way to juuuust past those notches and it’ll basically be equivalent to your old 12 cup carafe. Gotta be a bit more careful pulling the carafe out because it’s so full, but it’s easier to pull out if you remove it from the long end instead of at the front of the coffee maker.

I won’t brew that much very often, but I am sure one day I will so thanks for the tip.

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh too bad you rushed into it - I hear Fenix just came out with a coffee maker Wink

Enjoy it!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Ahhhh too bad you rushed into it - I hear Fenix just came out with a coffee maker Wink

Enjoy it!

Big Grin

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Now I am having fun trying different beans and different burr grinder settings to find what my wife and I like.

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I can't answer the question but I have a coffee story. Big Grin
If any of you drink Community Coffee from Baton Rouge I was smelling it roasting at the plant today.
The company is by I-10 on the Mississippi River. Smells good I just don't drink coffee.

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
That grinder is a luxury. A coarse for french press for a late morning treat. Medium-fine for standard cone-over-cup. Expresso grind for a tiny stove-top expresso percolator.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Which burr grinder did you get?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I know it sounds crazy but Third Wave Water packets in distilled water REALLY works.
So many people overlook the water.
Saw it on Shark Tank a while back and tried it - never going back to tap or bottled water.
If I was a barista I might look for a more permanent filter system but this works for me!

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’ve not personally used this website but if I recall correctly some members here recommended SWEET MARIAS COFFEE for beans.. You might check it out.

Enjoy!

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have the Moccamaster with the thermos carafe. Simple machine. Have had it now 3 or 4 years and the coffee is good but had a defective carafe(lid was a pain in the ass) The customer service was useless.Ended up buying their newer version and have had no problem.

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SN, enjoy the superb coffee you will be drinking for years to come! Now that you have one foot in the coffee rabbit hole, espresso is next. The progression is very similar to SIG Acquisition Syndrome or Black Rifle Disease. Big Grin

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2897 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
SN, enjoy the superb coffee you will be drinking for years to come! Now that you have one foot in the coffee rabbit hole, espresso is next. The progression is very similar to SIG Acquisition Syndrome or Black Rifle Disease. Big Grin

I don’t doubt this one bit.