SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Old is Old
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Old is Old Login/Join 
posted
Post your answers.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It varies from person to person.

I know some healthy, heavily active, highly alert 80-somethings.

I know some decrepit 60-somethings.

"Old" is when your physical and cognitive decline has progressed to where it begins to have a noticeable negative effect on your daily life.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I mean are we talking geological time or pop music here. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a moving target these days. Turned 50 this year and my definition of old is not the same as it was when I was on the "front nine".

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Definitely a matter of perspective. Having said that, I', 63, and still reasonably active. Not like my 20s and 30s of course, but not ready to hang up my spurs yet either. I'm actually planning (hoping maybe) to go on a Via Ferrata in about a month. I'm not up for the "sharp end" of a rope any more, but I am up to that.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I'll be 68 in a couple of months and I due more work before noon on Monday than a lot of younger folk do all week.

So, to answer your question, it's a relative thing.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
What are we talkin about here?

Old Sushi?

Old people?

Old rocks?

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It varies from person to person.

I know some healthy, heavily active, highly alert 80-somethings.

I know some decrepit 60-somethings.

"Old" is when your physical and cognitive decline has progressed to where it begins to have a noticeable negative effect on your daily life.

I even know some decrepit 40 somethings.

It's all over the place.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I agree, it depends on the topic.

I am feeling a bit old today as my cousin (71) that was 5 months older then me was found dead in his house yesterday morning.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I turn 56 in two weeks, and my knees are not happy or liking me, but other than that I am feeling good and still enjoying life!

When I was younger I couldn't imaging being this old, but time does change things.

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Old = bad or old = good?

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
At 84, I consider myself as "old" but not "real old". My mind is still doing OK and I can get around, but I can't walk very far (get winded) and I move pretty slowly. Balance not too good. Nevertheless, I still drive around town and travel--via canned tours. I don't think it wise for me to drive long distances alone any more. I am set for a 21-day tour of National Parks this September.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's all downhill from 17!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
What are we talkin about here?

Old Sushi?

Old people?

Old rocks?

My thoughts exactly..

One day

90 years

2 Billion years

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just turned 50 on March 22. I would like a midlife crisis car (GT350 or C8 maybe) but there's nothing to be had so I'll wait on that. My son starts college this fall so I'll focus on paying for that.

Doesn't feel much different but the non-specific hard-to-diagnose getting-older-and-not-quite-right-anymore stuff started showing up around 47.

Luckily I'm in decent shape, not losing my hair, not too gray, and not very wrinkly so I generally pass for 40 or so as long as I shave. Beard is mostly gray now. Last full physical was in late 2019 and all my numbers were good.

I got the COVID 19 pounds (or at least 10-15) so I need to lose that.

50 gives you a bit of a change in outlook. Work is work but you know you are past the point where you are being looked at for "potential" and more for "experience" which is often taken for granted. Kind of gives you a DGAF attitude about certain things.

I've been divorced for 8 years. Thought I'd be hitched up to someone by now but it didn't happen. Generally have dated younger women.

As for what is "old"? I don't know, 70 seems to be a big change from what I've seen around me. Mid-late 60's some still work and are pretty active.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
For people, I think for reasonably healthy folks up to 65-70 isn't old, just experienced. Over that starts to drift into the old realm for me, but not WOW old until 90+.

Realized this year I had outlived my dad by a couple years. Now he died young, but that was a jolt to the system.

OTOH, my wife and I joke that in our heads we are still our 30-35 year old selves w/o the kids or some of the concerns of youth. Then, well, knees and backs are occasional reminders.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
My definition of old has been pushed back to 80s. 60s and 70s does not have to be old to me. Mom is 80 and does whatever she wants. My Dad was serving on City Council in his late 70s, got bored with that and opened a restaurant at 82. He started a noticeable health decline at 84.

There was a definite line for me between 48 and 49, I could not deny middle age at 49. I ride with a fun group of active mountain biking guys in our 50s. Big separation between those active and not in 50s.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
minimum of one year older then I am at the time the question is asked.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We had a delivery the other day and the driver said:

"I am going to need an adult signature for this".

I told him he was out of luck

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post