SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passengers Furious After Hundreds of Flights Cancelled…Reported ‘Sick Out’ by Pilots and ATC Due to COVID [Vaccine] Mandate
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passengers Furious After Hundreds of Flights Cancelled…Reported ‘Sick Out’ by Pilots and ATC Due to COVID [Vaccine] Mandate Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Déjà vu.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines has canceled and delayed hundreds of weekend flights due to weather disruptions in Texas and tight staffing.

American Airlines has canceled more than 1,000 flights over Halloween weekend, pointing to weather disruptions in Texas and tight staffing.

After canceling nearly 550 flights on Saturday, the Texas-based carrier on Sunday canceled more than 700 flights and delayed more than 100 flights, according to flight tracker Flight Aware.

In a Saturday letter to staff shared with USA TODAY, American Airlines said the cancellations were caused by two days of severe winds in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

“This weather drove a large number of cancellations at DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport), as we could only use two runways instead of the usual five that handle our operation,” the letter says. “With additional weather throughout the system, our staffing begins to run tight as crew members end up out of the regular flight sequences.”

The carrier said it proactively canceled some flights to "make sure we are taking care of our customers and providing scheduling certainty for our crews.”

Some passengers took to social media to voice their frustration.

Most of the customers impacted by the cancellations were rebooked the same day, according to the airline.

American also noted that it would have more staff available in the coming days, with nearly 1,800 flight attendants returning from leave starting Nov. 1 and more than 600 new hires by the end of December. Another 4,000 new workers are expected to join between October and December.

https://news.yahoo.com/america...-more-205649389.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How's the weather for other airlines? Razz

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the customers impacted by the cancellations were rebooked the same day, according to the airline.

Which means...what, in the real world? :P

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
“American Airlines has canceled more than 1,000 flights over Halloween weekend, pointing to weather disruptions in Texas and tight staffing.”

As of 12Noon on Sunday-Oct 31, current weather conditions at DFW was sunny, 72°F, 33% humidity, no precip, winds at 8mph.

Yup, there’s a BIG STORM a-coming’!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blaming the weather for flight cancellations and delays when the weather if fine is straight out of state owned Air China and the CCP. Been through that on the other side and I never thought I would see it happen here.

Posts: 4720 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I predict that in 3.5 weeks, the magnitude of 'weather related' delays/cancellations on the Thanksgiving Holiday Travelers will be Utterly SPECTACULAR! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can attest that the weather is fine in Dallas. There was severe weather briefly, a few days ago, and there was higher wind for a couple of days, a few days ago.

There were, however, multiple runway closures at DFW that did last several days, and were announced via NOTAM (notices to airman) at the time. Those closures also lasted for a couple of days. Right now, the only runway closures are for aircraft with a wingspan greater than 214’, which shouldn’t affect any of American Airlines aircraft in DFW, and won’t affect any of the regional aircraft, or most anything used by most airlines in the US (anything from the 777 and smaller will be fine, only 747 and larger will be an issue).

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dealt with numerous delays on SWA on both Tuesday and Thursday of last week. Nobody to operate the bridge, nobody to load luggage, no gates available, 2-3 hour
delays on every outbound flight, etc. etc.

At no time in my life can I recall this many "weather" delays and cancellations. The airlines are completely FOS.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I am flying in to Dallas on American on the 20th of November and out of Dallas on American on the 27th. I just hope I get in, I don't care if they keep me from going back to work on time. But don't tell them I said that.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s the thing. They are FOS. However unlike every other business in America that is fucked up due to manning issues, COVID, mandates, general employee GAS, etc, the airlines operate under some ridiculous congressional mandates and regulations. If you go get a sandwich and it takes 20 minutes for a Subway club to be produced you have no legal recourse. Delayed on a flight? Well hell the passenger bill of rights kicks in. So they “lie”. Weather doesn’t count against them.

It’s bullshit but if you buy an airline ticket today and don’t understand that the airlines are having the same staffing issues as every other fucking business in America then you have your head in the sand.

Until everyone, and I mean everyone, goes back to a normal work routine nothing will be at the regularly accepted level of consistency. Lowe’s, Walmart, airlines, police, fire, subway, pick your poison everything is fucked up nowadays. But only the airlines can fuck you up 3000 miles from home. That’s a problem.

Everyone thinks it’s the pilots that are causing this. Well sorta. They are one of the smaller work groups. Flight attendants are tired too and are about twice the amount of employees. Know who is even more? All the ground personnel. Rampers, ticket agents, gate agents, wheel chair pushers etc. They can quit their job tomorrow and land on their feet at the same basic pay scale without all the extra bullshit. When the rampers quit in droves that’s when the wheels fall off. Normally you would just hire more entry level people but right now nobody seems to wants to work.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My niece was flying a few days ago from Palm Springs CA to DFW on American. Her flight out of PSP was delayed 3 hours, supposedly due to the wind. It was super windy around most of the country.

My flight, 2 years ago, from PSP to DFW was delayed 4.5 hours, and of course I missed the connecting flight through Phoenix. Amazingly American was still able to get us to OKC but it was way late, almost 2 AM when we landed.

I've flown out of Palm Springs many times, and sometimes you get some absolutely crazy turbulence after takeoff, and it is rough rough rough. Good things these planes are built really well.

It's just about a miserable experience to have to sit and wait in an airport for hours and hours and hours. It sucks, it's uncomfortable, it sucks again.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I sure wish all of the airline employees would get the jab so our weather patterns would normalize..... Hey, how many of us would have to get jabbed so global climate change is reversed?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We've stumbed upon the ability to control the weather. Bad storms coming your way? Just fly a different airline and it's sunny skies! Razz

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I sure wish all of the airline employees would get the jab so our weather patterns would normalize..... Hey, how many of us would have to get jabbed so global climate change is reversed?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

It means AA is lying their ass off about these delays being weather related if everyone was this easily re-scheduled same day. The BS is a flying right now, big time.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I will just drive my car. It may take longer but I am in charge. I am not anxious to travel overseas anyway.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

It means AA is lying their ass off about these delays being weather related if everyone was this easily re-scheduled same day. The BS is a flying right now, big time.

Take that a step further. It means that AA can't guarantee that the passengers will make it out on the rebooked flights, either.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First it was Spirit airlines cancelling a ton of flights, then Southwest, then AA. There's going to be a whole lot more cancelled flights from the other carriers, and it sure as sh@@ aint the weather........is there ANYTHING this administration CAN'T screw up in life?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
American cancelled well over 1,000 flights at the same time as the Spirit debacle which makes this round 2 for American.

I thought you were there:

"They canceled the flight 20 minutes ago," said Jimmy, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Link

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Well, I will just drive my car. It may take longer but I am in charge. I am not anxious to travel overseas anyway.

Do you drive a duck boat? Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post