SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Brand Name Foods Are A Must-Have? IE: No Store/Generic Brands Will Work For You?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Brand Name Foods Are A Must-Have? IE: No Store/Generic Brands Will Work For You? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
What are the foods you have to have in the brand name, the store brand or generic version just doesn't cut it?

For me it's:

Cheerios: Store brand ones always taste awful to me for some reason

Cremora powdered coffee creamer: Store brands taste like absolute crap to me

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Oreos, although even that is different since manufacturing went to Mexico (I think)

Most cereals

On the positive side, HEB brand versions are usually pretty damn good and most of them seemed to be made in Texas, which we like.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thin Mints

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Rosarita Black Beans. Nothing else is even close.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheetos for me

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pickles. Clausen only for me. The cheaper generic ones are mushy, without the requisite crunch/snap.

I'm also picky about the coffee I buy, although in a pinch I'll drink anything as a basic caffeine delivery mechanism.

And while not a food, but a grocery-type item in general: Toilet paper. The wife bought store-brand one time. Yikes. (But then I'm the kind of guy who packs my own TP when going on overnight trips, so...)

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourbon goes in and
Knowledge comes out
Picture of majik61
posted Hide Post
Jif.

----------------------------------Why worry and hurry through life? You can't come out of it alive.

Posts: 186 | Location: Florence SC | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Dukes mayo, but I hardly use it anymore.

Posts: 5333 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Pnut butter...has to be JIF...I will eat other brands or store-labeled in a bind if I must, but will absolutely complain loudly.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
Heinz ketchup for me. Can’t stand the generic ketchup.

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Juanita's Menudo......extra hot and spicy!!!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Rosarita refried beans.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5481 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Oreos
Thin mints
Coke
Saltines

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:

On the positive side, HEB brand versions are usually pretty damn good and most of them seemed to be made in Texas, which we like.

We actually prefer many of the H-E-B/Hill Country Fare branded products over name brands.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Kerry Gold? Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Twinkies!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
My arteries hardened significantly just reading this list!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, Nabisco Premium crackers, Vlasic pickles.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coke, Zero specifically. Juanitas tortilla chips.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Heinz ketchup.
Dukes mayo.
Coke Zero.

I buy quite a few store brand items, but there are no substitutes for these.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post