SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your kids and the internet/phones
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your kids and the internet/phones Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Apropos Babylon Bee skit.

https://youtu.be/zm7KJJgJ-Dw

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
My son has had a mobile device since he was about 10. Just him and I were going on an overnight trip to DC and I wanted him to have some type of communication device while we were there in case we got separated. The only thing I policed on his phone was the ability to download apps. Anything he wanted to download, he had to have our approval. Other than that, he was allowed to do anything on the phone he wanted.

I will say it is very kid dependent. My kid was essentially 30 when he was born. Always way mature for his age, self policing with our given set of rules. He is the type that gets annoyed when he is hanging with friends and they are all on their phones and not socializing. He is now 16.

Our biggest complaint we have with him and his phone and he has been told this is when Mom or Dad texts you something, you need to respond ASAP. Until we got this rule established, he didn’t respond to us because he didn’t want to be rude and on his phone when out with his friends.

So bottom line, it’s really based on your kid and their maturity level and your trust in your kid. We have always followed the parenting policy of let the kid do what he wants, let him have his freedom, but if he steps out of line, then punish and lock down things. So far, haven’t had to do that.

Chris

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Just remember that the internet is a “place”. Treat it similarly to a physical place your kids could hang out with friends - and just monitor who their friends are and who all they are conversing with.

Social media and other sources of dopamine hits are an additional issue that should also be monitored/limited.

Lots of other good advice has already been shared.

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just why does Twain's story The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg pop into my mind?

Posts: 2543 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
sources of dopamine hits are an additional issue that should also be monitored/limited.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How do you monitor and measure dopamine??

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
sources of dopamine hits are an additional issue that should also be monitored/limited.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easy:

Q: Is it a mobile game?
A: If yes, it uses dopamine to draw players back to the app either hourly or daily.

In all seriousness though, we check (and the kids know to be on the prowl for) loot crate, spin the wheel, and login-reward mechanics.

That's a good start. Those use the same chemical release response as pulling a slot machine lever.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not so sure it is all dopamine. It is conditioned behavior ala B.F. Skinner. Neurochemistry plays a minor role, unless you want to pander to Big Pharma. Slot machines operate on a variable ratio schedule, nothing to do with neurochemistry.That is why SSRIs and the like are ineffective in treating complex human problems.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post