SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
WINNING!

Week-To-Week NFL Ticket Sales Drop Sharply In Wake Of Anthem Protests

In the wake of the national anthem protest controversy, not only have the ratings for televised football dropped by a sizable margin, but now, reports are coming in that ticket sales are plummeting as well.

CBS News reports:

NFL ticket sales at TickPick slumped 17.9 percent this week compared with the prior week, their steepest decline since 2014, while sales at TicketCity plunged 31 percent. For pro football games in September, ticket sales at TicketCity are down 16 percent from a year ago. TickPick's NFL sales rose this month, but by the smallest margin since 2015. The vendors' data reflect tickets sold in the secondary market, as opposed to direct sales from NFL teams.

CBS quotes TickPick co-CEO Brett Goldberg: “There are people who are saying that this is my form of entertainment and I don't want politics in my entertainment.”

It appears as though customers are truly putting their money where their mouth is.

Ticketmaster wasn't allowed to release information to CBS without permission from the NFL. I'll take a guess, and say the NFL will deny Ticketmaster the rights of release. StubHub “didn't respond to request for comment.”

According to a recent poll from CNN, “49% say the protesting players are doing the wrong thing to express their political opinion when they kneel during the National Anthem, while 43% say it's the right thing.”

However, a PBS NewsHour/Marist poll shows a slightly different angle: “[48%] of U.S. adults said these demonstrations were a respectful way to draw attention to their concerns, while another 46 percent said the protests are disrespectful.”

This is a deeply divisive issue, and one that’s unlikely to go away any time soon. However, if ticket sales and ratings continue their downward trajectory, the NFL might have to step in – and whatever the honchos decide to do, they are bound to alienate a significant portion of fans and viewers.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/...rply-wake-frank-camp

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
story just coming out

our favorite football player Colin Kaepernick has donated $25,000 to a charity for Assata Shakur

Shakur is a convicted cop killer

my, ain't the NFL just full of wondering people

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
September 30, 2017
Savor the irony of the NFL Protests

NFL players are protesting what they claim is pervasive and systematic racism and oppression in America. If their narrative were actually true, their protests would have been suppressed swiftly and brutally, and the protesters persecuted or even lynched - because that is what happens in countries where there is genuine oppression.

But that is not what happened. Instead the players protest with impunity, knowing full well their freedom to demonstrate is guaranteed by the country they are protesting against. They are like a child grandpa has to hold up so they can slap grandpa's face.

Displeased fans booed. The President called them names. Their actions have prompted a flood of letters to the editor, hours and hours of media air time and miles and miles of ink. But no one has been arrested or sent to secret jails to be tortured or killed. There has been vocal disapproval, but nothing like an oppressive response.

"Millionaires and billionaires," in Bernie Sanders's favoite expression

That the protests have not been extinguished by force, but allowed to continue, is both an utter refutation of the thesis of the protest and a vindication of the freedoms the kneeling players imply they do not enjoy. The protests demonstrate, with a power and eloquence beyond words, the freedom from oppression the protesting players actually experience in America. Here, in the nation for which they express such contempt, they have liberty, opportunity, success, and prosperity unprecedented in world history.

The protest is therefore self-discrediting, an irony which seems lost on the protesters and their sympathizers.

http://www.americanthinker.com...he_nfl_protests.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5739 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:

This ^^^^^^^
Hypocrisy is now viewed as a virtue don't ya know?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:

That is a Home Run in Football!

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:

This ^^^^^^^
Hypocrisy is now viewed as a virtue don't ya know?

Hypocrisy is an essential skill which must be mastered to participate in public politics. Always has been.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Jesse Benn is currently working on his Ph.D and as a teaching assistant in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Wisconsin – Madison.

NFL must love this guy

I guess I should be surprised that someone working on a PHD is that fucking stupid, but given the whole mass destruction of our education system, I must say that I am not even a little bit surprised.

Here is a suggestion for such shit bags: If you hate this country so much, the answer is simple. GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to some 3rd world shithole where you will fit right in.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this country perfect? No but look how far we have come in the last 100 years.

Is it light years ahead of what ever country is in 2nd place ? Yes

If you want to protest something how about domestic violence? Wait, sorry, that would involve a lot of the players.

How about sexual assault?

How about murder?

Think you have courage protesting our Anthem? Have a challenge for you. Take your knee in a country that isn't as tolerant. Let's see how much courage you have then, my guess is none.

Put up or shut up.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Take your knee in a country that isn't as tolerant.

I hear that Myanmar is lovely this time of year.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They throw bananas at black soccer players in europe......

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...fl-players-standing/

On Thursday night, the players from the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears stood during the national anthem and linked arms. The Denver Broncos also issued a statement announcing their team’s decision to stand during the national anthem.

Trump said he spoke with several NFL owners during the last few days and was pleased to hear that they were coming together to support the country.

“I’m very happy … and they should stand. It’s our national anthem; you have to stand,” he said.

owners trash him in public, and talk to him in private

Seahawks may be a problem. Given the current environment, with most owners really interested in getting out of this mess, anyone still kneeling may find themselves unpopular in the NFL community. Maybe as unpopular as they would be in the rest of the country.

Overall, the response of the country has been something we should be proud of. A sport so enjoyed by a large part of the population, but when the NFL disrespects the flag & anthem, those fans turn on the NFL. A very positive sign.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

I hear that Myanmar is lovely this time of year.

Sudan, North Korea

posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uiYELBajc

Some people get it. Usain Bolt and the National Anthem.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...fl-players-standing/

On Thursday night, the players from the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears stood during the national anthem and linked arms. The Denver Broncos also issued a statement announcing their team’s decision to stand during the national anthem.

Trump said he spoke with several NFL owners during the last few days and was pleased to hear that they were coming together to support the country.

“I’m very happy … and they should stand. It’s our national anthem; you have to stand,” he said.

owners trash him in public, and talk to him in private

Seahawks may be a problem. Given the current environment, with most owners really interested in getting out of this mess, anyone still kneeling may find themselves unpopular in the NFL community. Maybe as unpopular as they would be in the rest of the country.

Overall, the response of the country has been something we should be proud of. A sport so enjoyed by a large part of the population, but when the NFL disrespects the flag & anthem, those fans turn on the NFL. A very positive sign.

Maybe I'm old (I am) but wouldn't a strong sign of unity be that everyone stand with their hand over their heart? We live in the greatest country on the face of the earth. We are continually evolving into an even greater place to live.

Let's not drop to our knee for our imperfections, let's rise to our feet for our willingness to rise above them and celebrate what we have.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a huge mess and it's only bad for the NFL and they know it now. I have no doubt that the spoiled brat millionaires who hopped on the Stupid Train are now wishing that they had never started this idiocy.

It's going to get worse, too, in the most tangible of ways : $$$

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I don't understand this whole standing with arms linked thing. Do they think that makes this all go away? No one gives a crap if you show "unity." We want them to show respect...and you do that by standing silently with your right hand on your heart and your helmet in your left hand - that's what the NFL rules require. That's what decency and true respect for the flag and the nation require. Don't stand there with your arms linked and think that it's any better than kneeling.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Stand at attention, if you have a hat remove it and hold it over your heart.

I always thought criticism of the photo of Obama without his hand over heart was inappropriate.

Getting old so maybe it is a foggy memory, but going through basic training, I believe we were taught to stand at attention when not in uniform. Hand over heart is good but, I don't considered it disrespectful not to do it when standing at attention.

Interlocking arm sex however is just as disrespectful as kneeling in my eyes.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you want to protest something how about domestic violence? Wait, sorry, that would involve a lot of the players.

Already done. One player in 2015 was fined over $5000 by the NFL for wearing purple cleats to bring attention to domestic violence.
Link

quote:
I have no doubt that the spoiled brat millionaires who hopped on the Stupid Train are now wishing that they had never started this idiocy.

If these owners nipped it in the bud last year when this shit surfaced, they would all be sitting back counting their money and good fortunes. Fools folly.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post