SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson Livewire - Harley's new electric bike
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson Livewire - Harley's new electric bike Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
It's not selling. They have halted production "temporarily". LOL.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
To be clear it's stopped due to a technical issue discovered with the charging system , nothing mechanical or detrimental to the use of the Bike...

Yeah, they realized they were charging way too much money for that POS. I'd venture to say that there aren't enough hipsters that want to buy a MC with such a shit range and ergonomics that would make you want to get off the bike before that range was even close to being met.

Posts: 2860 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is what HD should have done when they owned MV Augusta or when they were asking themselves how would they get younger people interested in their brand. They wouldn’t even necessarily had to have abandoned the v twin! Supercharged twin or e-bike hmmmm ?

For a loooooooooong time I’ve thought the best way to make up for lost displacement and maybe save weight at the same time is to use forced induction on a 600-650cc twin cylinder sportbike. With enough weight shaved and A good tune and boost it might put 1000cc superbikes on notice. The modularity of the Norton is cool. You can swap between a carbon frame and alloy frame and supercharged or standard, non supercharged engine. They are all compatible so you could mix and match.

This new 170 bhp supercharged 650 Norton twin is coming close to my idea of how the middle weights could strike back. If someone like Kawasaki took an idea like this and mass produced an affordable Ninja Twin or 636 with a turbo or supercharger... Eek If they can keep it well under the cost of a H2 and close to a 1000cc superbike $15-20k it could potentially be a game changer.

Link to new supercharged Norton twin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Well, what to do when it’s only 45 degrees in Wisconsin? You go buy a new LiveWire! I know that this discussion has been back and forth on what everyone wants. For me, I’m looking for something fun to get around town and go for a fast stroll through the countryside. It’s not my 1000 mile IBA bike.

My buddy and I decided to go grab some BBQ and put 60 miles on this cool afternoon. I smiled the whole way. A friend asked if I picked up a “silenced” Harley-Davidson? Yes, you could say that is what it is. Super smooth, ride comfort is good. Now to figure out how to get saddle bags on it. Will most likely need to manufacture something since H-D does not have anything nor does aftermarket manufacture. I know that the ones on “A Long Way Up” are 100% custom.

I’ll grab some additional shots in the next few days of the dash and other components.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2222 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
NIce bike Mike, you could just fab up a mount for a mini tour pack, make it detachable for runs to the store!

Those things sure are fast

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations mkueffer, a Livewire should do just fine running around town and short strolls through the countryside. I hope you report back with your thoughts after getting a few thousand miles on it, which'll probably have to be next year given where you live. It's sure an interesting bike and possibly one with collectors value in the future.
I've toyed with the idea of buying a Zero DSR which runs $16K but with a *claimed* range of just 160 miles city (less running at speed) it would be pretty limited for what I could do with it, but it certainly would be an interesting addition to the stable....

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
mkueffer

I wish you the best, personally, I liked it and love the sound.
I also await your review!

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
LiveWire!

Did it come with any charging equipment, is it a standard 110 outlet model because it looks like it takes a long time to charge at 13 miles capacity per hour, with 130 mile range it's going to take overnight to fully charge. Not a big deal if you just ride a few miles a day.

Looks like a DC Fast charger will charge it up fully in one hour. Also noticed they have two charging company options Electrify America and Charge Point that you can sign up with, along with dealer charging points.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Cool, congrats. Interested to hear your experiences.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3296 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are comfortable saying so, how much was it OTD?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
130 mile range

Down side is HD claims only about 85 of combined or highway. Here that range would put you up in the mountains screwed. Not for 30K MSRP. Plus my days of riding on a sportbike are over. I'm looking for the comfort.

Might be a fun bike for local riding but having a BU is needed if you do any real riding. We do over two hundred on a weekend ride in a day.

But I would take them up on a test ride. They are bending over backwards trying to get customers to try them.

quote:
And my Honda Gold Wing sold for around $20K.

GOLD WING TOUR 2020
MSRP: $27,500

Had a trouble free 94 GL1500. I liked the GL1800's but when they started making them look like the Victory I bowed out.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
30,000 bucks for a bike that only has a range of 70 miles? Wow. It’ll be a colossal failure until they can increase the range.

and / or the recharge time. Electrics need to last all day or go to a full charge in 10 minutes.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Nope!

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I for one would have preferred to hear whatever the actual 'ebike' sounds were as he rode, not some cheesy soundtrack.

My own 40 years in the wind are now in retired status. The retro Harley #1 electric bicycle caught my eye. Still trying to chase that one down.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
My own 40 years in the wind are now in retired status. The retro Harley #1 electric bicycle caught my eye. Still trying to chase that one down.

It will not be a true Harley-Davidson bike since they spun it off with other investors.

Serial1.com

Monday is the release day for the product.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2222 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
will not be a true Harley-Davidson bike since they spun it off with other investors.

well certainly not in the traditional sense of 'motorcycle'. True Harleys, on the other hand, have been ground breaking new tech/new design stuff, even if the root design is steam era iron.

And early Harley came with pedals IIRC.

Electric bicycles are a whole new market potential, if only they can get them to leak a puddle of electrons when they're parked & find a way to mount V-twin silicon domes that emulate straight pipe exhaust sounds....well, maybe not on the Series 1 at first.... Wink

I think there's a big collection of niche- markets, each waiting for it's own little slice of stylistic mobility short of road burning motorcycle clones.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post