SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson Livewire - Harley's new electric bike
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson Livewire - Harley's new electric bike Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
This is well out of my wheelhouse since I'm not a "bike guy", but I find it interesting nonetheless. At approx $30,000 the bike won't appeal to everyone, but some will jump on them. Sort of the bikers version of Tesla. With acceleration of 0-60 in 3 seconds these bikes are pretty fast! I expect to see some upscale buyers blasting around town in the not too distant future! And for the innocent bystanders there won't be the typical loud pipes! Could be a win-win! I'll take one for a spin if given the chance....but won't be buying it.

https://jalopnik.com/the-elect...ckingly-f-1836321059

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
How does Harley get it to leak oil?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
It'll never work - the "loud pipes save lives" crowd will never go for it. That and how on earth are the pirates...eh, I mean Harley riders going to get people to look at them if they don't have those obnoxiously loud pipes?

Maybe their marketing line should be something like, "Livewire - The bike for the humble Harley rider."

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6737 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
How does Harley get it to leak oil?

Park it next to a bmw

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For an electric motorcycle, I'd put my money on a Zero SR/F $20k

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/

Or Zero SR $17k

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Electric motors have instant torque!!!

I'd like to see Harley succeed with this, but their marketing strategy never kept up with the younger market. They continued their "tried and true" model line, which worked for awhile, until they ran out of buyers. Even the V-Rod was frowned upon when it first came out as it was not a "Harley" engine. People loved the bike, but it was a failure in sales. Zero Bikes have been around for over a decade.

Off topic, I'm curious how the new mid-engine Corvette will be accepted. Corvette's have always been front engine, rear wheel drive, push-rod engines. I don't see the die-hard Corvette fans buying them. IMHO, they should have renamed it anything but a "Corvette".

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No potato, potato, potato? Eek
I have been waiting to try out the H-D adventure bike they have been teasing for a while.
Local shop is clueless as to its arrival.
But they would be delighted to sell me a 30K bagger.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
With acceleration of 0-60 in 3 seconds these bikes are pretty fast!

As far as fast.. last I seen top speed was 95 MPH. What will the 0 to 60 be after say 125 miles. I will go on record as saying the Livewire will be an enormous flop for Harley. The out of production V Rod might be looking good after this. There is just not that many bikers that will pay 30K for an electric bike.

Harley has spent way to much on R&D and advertising on this bike. It is to bad Harley did not do this to their Buell line when they had a chance. The Buell line up would have given Harley a more diversified line up. It would have also helped them with sales to younger generations these days.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they only sell it to humble Harley riders, it will fail. There are none.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Electric bikes just don't spark my interest.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very interested in electric bikes. I'm more of a sport rider than a touring guy. Electrics just need to get the range a bit further. Someday they will smoke I4s but just not make any noiseBig Grin

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I wish HD success, they'll sell some but they're just getting into electric while Zero has been selling and improving their electric motorcycles for years now. And at $30K for the Livewire it better have a minimum 200 mile range.

I almost bought a Zero DS with the optional ZF 14.4 battery pack which is good for about 100 miles (160 under optimum condition), it lists for $14k. https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/

The thought of riding trails in silence appeals to me and it would be fine at that, but to justify one it'd have to do other things too and the 100 mile range just isn't enough.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I looked at the zero bikes several years ago at a dealer conference in Orlando, nice, light, compact, looked good for city use where you might find recharging stations quickly.

The problem of range was solved by buying a second battery pack and taking it with you, the issue was a second battery cost almost as much as a bike.

HD has done plenty of work and research, when folks give them crap for not making youth oriented machines, it's not entirely HD's fault, they've made several attempts, the problem is competition ie japan bikes are dirt cheap, and getting the younger buyers in the showroom.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Hell no. I won't ride no bugzapper.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
70 miles on the highway

LMAO. I'm a motorcyclist, and this is an absolute joke, as all electric bikes thus far. My ride out to the twisties is 20 miles. All highway. Riding motorcycles is about enjoyment and having fun. I'd go through the first section of turns and this pos would be out of charge. The listed range they list will never be accurate either. The highway rated charge is probably at 60 mph. Sport riding of any kind would put this thing on the side of the road quick.

I've ridden two of the zero electric bikes. The only thing they'd be good for would be a commuter bike to get to/from work. But even then, with motorcycle tires and their cost, commuting on a bike isn't as cheap as some make it out to be. And given the exact market these electric bikes are chasing (millennials), well it's funny. Commuting today is not like even ten years ago. Many people driving are surfing on their smartphone while they do so, so it makes commuting highly dangerous on a bike, especially during rush hours. For what this costs you could buy an electric car with crash safety, longer range, a/c, stereo, etc.

Best of luck to them. It won't make it. It's their futile attempt at trying to make profit but this will be a loser. Millennials aren't interested in riding motorcycles. They are interested in their phones, apps, and online social media presence.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As usual, its Achilles's heel will be range (likely less than 100 miles) and changing time (0% to 80% in almost an hour). And at $30k, with those limitations, its a bouquet item at best.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Range is 146 city, 70 highway, 95 average of both the comparisons should be to other E bikes not gas, the people buying them do so for different reasons.

0-60 in 3 seconds, quick...

It has a sound, you can hear it on the video, not the potato sound, more F1e

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhPZTrSmBw

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
70 miles on the highway

LMAO. I'm a motorcyclist, and this is an absolute joke, as all electric bikes thus far. My ride out to the twisties is 20 miles. All highway. Riding motorcycles is about enjoyment and having fun. I'd go through the first section of turns and this pos would be out of charge. The listed range they list will never be accurate either. The highway rated charge is probably at 60 mph. Sport riding of any kind would put this thing on the side of the road quick.

I've ridden two of the zero electric bikes. The only thing they'd be good for would be a commuter bike to get to/from work. But even then, with motorcycle tires and their cost, commuting on a bike isn't as cheap as some make it out to be. And given the exact market these electric bikes are chasing (millennials), well it's funny. Commuting today is not like even ten years ago. Many people driving are surfing on their smartphone while they do so, so it makes commuting highly dangerous on a bike, especially during rush hours. For what this costs you could buy an electric car with crash safety, longer range, a/c, stereo, etc.

Best of luck to them. It won't make it. It's their futile attempt at trying to make profit but this will be a loser. Millennials aren't interested in riding motorcycles. They are interested in their phones, apps, and online social media presence.

Mr Prefontaine:

I so much agree with you. What would make the perfect electric for you. For me it's range. The power is cool as hell and I could care less about sound. Well, let's take the cost out of itSmile

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
30,000 bucks for a bike that only has a range of 70 miles? Wow. It’ll be a colossal failure until they can increase the range.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3977 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Range is 146 city, 70 highway, 95 average of both...
My bet, especially given a few of the comments in the story about heavy acceleration, not 2 in 10 owners will get those numbers.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post