SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson Livewire - Harley's new electric bike
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson Livewire - Harley's new electric bike Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't think even Harley expects they will sell many of these $30,000 bikes. Livewire is more of a demonstration project to prove to skeptics that an electric bike can be really fast and isn't just a fancy scooter. A real practical version would be more like a 45 hp version.
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
With acceleration of 0-60 in 3 seconds these bikes are pretty fast!

As far as fast.. last I seen top speed was 95 MPH. What will the 0 to 60 be after say 125 miles. I will go on record as saying the Livewire will be an enormous flop for Harley. The out of production V Rod might be looking good after this. There is just not that many bikers that will pay 30K for an electric bike.

Harley has spent way to much on R&D and advertising on this bike. It is to bad Harley did not do this to their Buell line when they had a chance. The Buell line up would have given Harley a more diversified line up. It would have also helped them with sales to younger generations these days.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I don't think this will sell well at all. If it's targeted at younger buyers, the "Harley Premium" (the extra you pay for the logo on the side) on top of the price of the bike will take it out of the price range of that audience. Add in the lack of range, and I don't see a lot of upside on how this could be marketed.

And the range numbers they're citing are for a new bike with fresh, fully charged batteries being ridden by someone managing the ride profile very carefully. Let that bike be ridden in real world conditions after the batteries have been charge/discharge cycled a few times and you could almost cut that range number in half.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8366 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I will say that sitting on the torque from an electric motor....if you crack it you want to be holding on.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
If anyone is in Milwaukee on August 20-21 stop down at the Harley-Davidson Museum. The LiveWire will be available for demo rides.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2222 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Funny how these motorcycle (HD) threads trend, predictable, consistently LOL

There are threads where everyone give HD shit for not catering to the newer/younger buyer, so they will die off.

So HD builds those bikes,

Then we have threads about the new bikes, Livewire, Adventure sport bikes, that are created for the new non traditional HD rider, and HD always get it wrong, even if the product is on par with the market, for whatever reason its wrong, so they will die off.

Of course all the faults, problems, and issues are well known before the product even hits the showroom. Big Grin

Sounds like someone that hates their spouse, they won't leave, everything is a problem and nothing the other does will be good enough, ever.

And yet they survive each year.

They could build a 500 mile electric bike with a loud speaker for exhaust so it sounds like a vtwin, costs $5K to buy with free service, free battery replacement, and a big tit horny hot bikini and leather wearing hottie that will wash and iron your shirts, rub your back and can cook like a 5 star chef..... Razz

and Y'all probably bitch she passes gas in her sleep too Big Grin
Just a quick question. How many "young" folks have $30k to part with for one of these? I think the young guys dig tech and want something different than a V Twin, but I still think this particular bike falls way sort of what the "young" guys are looking for.

More people than you think. Google what a Sea Bob is. I just ran a 62' yacht where the owner bought 2 seabobs at the tune of $12,000 each. They're a suitcased size apparatus that propels you up to 12 mph while you're snorkeling. Seadoo sells LOTS of them to the yachting community and, in the end a lot of them get used 5-10 hours a year.

For a lot of motorcycle riders.....who ride their bikes 20 miles +/- once a month, these make perfect sense, no bad gas woes to deal with, a lot less maintenance, and tons of low end torque...….

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
So will this one leak battery acid instead of oil.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harley’s are ass jewelry. These are just a different style, some will like them, some won’t. Someone will put ape hangers on one. Different strokes for different folks, not my place to knock another mans choices in transportation. Or decoration, mock yes, knock no. Overly loud pipes are another matter, be they on cars boats bikes or atv’s overly loud pipes are a nuisance and should be abolished.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
So will this one leak battery acid instead of oil.

That is wildly unlikely, as it's a Li-ion cell. But I think you're being sarcastic.

Posts: 8183 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I'd like to ride one. Owning one is probably not in the cards.

Posts: 1966 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a quick question. How many "young" folks have $30k to part with for one of these? I think the young guys dig tech and want something different than a V Twin, but I still think this particular bike falls way sort of what the "young" guys are looking for.

As Jimmy said, a lot more than you think.

Also it's an endcap product, a way into the E bike world as a leader and to develop the tech should it move forward. As much as we like big v8's with 5 speeds, clutch, am radio, rubber mats, dog dish hub caps and a hemi sticker on the fender, a lot of youth like e-stuff and have the coin.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Serious motorcyclists are outraged at the distance limitations. The AVERAGE motorcyclist rides about 3000 miles per year. 250 miles per month. 8.33 miles per day...

If I lived in town and wanted a Friday night cruise bike this might be perfect. If I commuted into town for work and lived where the weather was decent, something like this would be very appealing.

This is like the guys who give a friend shit for buying a pistol and not going to the range 3-4 times per week and geeking out on ballistics and reloading.

Be glad they took the step. If it is a different path than the one you take, who cares? Be happy the sport has one more option, and one more fan.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

As Jimmy said, a lot more than you think.

Also it's an endcap product, a way into the E bike world as a leader and to develop the tech should it move forward. As much as we like big v8's with 5 speeds, clutch, am radio, rubber mats, dog dish hub caps and a hemi sticker on the fender, a lot of youth like e-stuff and have the coin.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. The young folks I know harbor what I would class as a level of disdain for HD products. They view the company and its customers as dinosaurs, and something they have no interest in associating themselves with. As such, I do not believe HD willever reach this demo. Now Zero on the other hand absolutely has a shot at this demo, as the group of young folks I know would likely view them as cutting edge tech and the future, with no bearded, leather wearing, beer drinking following to deal with.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I just wanted HD to build a V twin, triple or inline four that could compete with the sport bikes from Europe and Japan. Something innovative, fast and fun. But nope, those fuckers couldn’t do it. Just once I wanted them to build a bike that put the rest of the world on notice.

Now they decide finally to embrace technology and this is the result!? Lame.

The reason HD was never able to compete with Ducati or Honda or Yamaha is because they are a inferior motorcycle company with a superiority complex.

America makes amazing muscle cars but our motorcycles are boring, slow, expensive and uninspired.

I hope it fails spectacularly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Not defending Harley here but my V Rod is plenty fast for me and quite comfortable to ride.

While sport bikes are pretty and insanely fast I am quite happy with what I have.

I have to agree with Mark_A here. Given the tech limitations of electric vehicles at this point there will be a segment it just does not work for.

For the commuter or weekend rider 80-100 range is plenty.

The reviews on this bike are pretty good. I think the biggest issue is the inflated price tag.

Posts: 2736 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I just wanted HD to build a V twin, triple or inline four that could compete with the sport bikes from Europe and Japan. Something innovative, fast and fun. But nope, those fuckers couldn’t do it. Just once I wanted them to build a bike that put the rest of the world on notice.

The reason HD was never able to compete with Ducati or Honda or Yamaha is because they are a inferior motorcycle company with a superiority complex.

America makes amazing muscle cars but our motorcycles are boring, slow, expensive and uninspired.

soon.

https://www.harley-davidson.co...s/streetfighter.html

Posts: 8183 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Eric Buell tried somewhat to accomplish what you're talking about and he was eventually pushed out of the market. A friend of mine still has a Buell, and on some levels, I think its a pretty neat bike.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heres HD's latest electric offering the IronE a balance bike for kids, two sizes two prices, looks like HD's going a little deeper into the E bike world and faster than any other motorcycle company.

At the link there are also previews of other electric bike offerings coming including a city bike and an electric off road mountain/dirt bike...

There is a video of the pre-production mountain ebike pretty interesting

Link to more HDe

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The young folks I know harbor what I would class as a level of disdain for HD products. They view the company and its customers as dinosaurs, and something they have no interest in associating themselves with. As such, I do not believe HD willever reach this demo. Now Zero on the other hand absolutely has a shot at this demo, as the group of young folks I know would likely view them as cutting edge tech and the future, with no bearded, leather wearing, beer drinking following to deal with.

This is my take also. Anyone middle age or younger wants a bike that’s fast, agile, & high performance. I’ve never heard another rider say “man, I wish my bike was old, heavy, expensive as shit, & obnoxiously loud.

HD will be defunct in 5 years

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:...Eric Buell tried somewhat to accomplish what you're talking about and he was eventually pushed out of the market. ...

Buell disappeared soon after creating the "R" model...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the founder and Grand Poobah of the Church of Devout Cowardice, motorcycles don't interest me...unless they have a potential to be practical.

While I wouldn't dream of buying the HD, the Zero intrigues me. I would use it for short trips, where my F-350 is just overkill.

My greatest concern would be highway travel. I'll be traversing an 80 mph stretch of I-15. It seems many people choose to do just about anything else except pay attention to the road.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post