SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So while getting older are you impatient, irritable, pissed off, just generally mad at the world. Hold grudge's till hell freezes over.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So while getting older are you impatient, irritable, pissed off, just generally mad at the world. Hold grudge's till hell freezes over. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Unwilling to accept anything other than the way you see it? Get off my lawn. And I am not talking about dealing with things that need dealing with. I am talking about how you deal and see everything now. How is that working out for you? Maybe there is no one to remember you? But if you do have family and friends Is that really how you want to be remembered.

The membership here is getting older. Are we going to become what we despised in others. Things seem like we cannot disagree without falling off the edge these days. Is that our future? Is that what we've become.
Because this is really what the real enemy has wanted all along. Are we going to give them what they so coveted?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19233 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You got your feelings hurt. Welcome to planet Earth.

Posts: 107722 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You got your feelings hurt. Welcome to planet Earth.

Well if you are willing Para. Lets see what others have to say now that you have set the table.

posted Hide Post
I’ve come to the realization that you’re not going to change people or wake them up. The only aggravation I deal with is other drivers otherwise I could give two shits about what someone else is doing. All it’s going to do is ruin my day and the person will be the exact same tomorrow or probably an hour later.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You couldn't be more obvious.

This thread is about this thread.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
If you do not wish to give the membership a chance to respond to this thread Para feel free to close it. If you are going to strong arm the narrative it is probably a good idea. I am not going to argue with you.

Btw, I was not arguing with you in that thread either.

posted Hide Post
As I age (upcoming 75) my patience is almost non existent. Seems I come into contact with folks that don’t really want to work. To me, attitude is damn near everything. Either the attitude or laziness bug me.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have your permission to close a thread. Thank you.

Has "How is that working out for you?" ever been said, when it was not said derisively? And "Is that what we've become?"

Please. What I've become is a wolf for whom the day will never come that you can throw a porkchop past me.

This is a clumsy effort on your part to save face. You're upset how that thread went for you, and this ham-fisted post from you is an effort to rectify that.

posted Hide Post
Whoops I was writing my reply and sorry I stepped into your conversation. Sorry.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
old rugged cross doesn't really want to know what you think in this respect. He's just here to take some shots at me.

posted Hide Post
I’m and old man, almost 72 with a heart condition caused by me being a class A person most of my life. I try to not let issues/people bother me. If I can walk away after making my point I do so. Poor driving habits of other people can cause problems for you but if possible don’t let their problem become yours. Of course family might cause problems that might not be solved by walking away. Family issues/problems can be the hardest to deal with.

Posts: 40 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: September 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Epictetus would say that we should, “Forgive others for their misdeeds over and over again. This gesture fosters inner ease.” Not only that, he said that we should, “Forgive ourselves over and over and over again. Then try to do better next time.”

Why? Because holding on those negative feelings never makes things better. “Anger always outlasts hurt,”

Seneca would say. But forgiveness? Forgiveness is healing. It’s moving forward. It’s not forgetting, of course, that one shouldn’t allow themselves to be wronged over and over again by the same people in the same way. At the same time, we can’t allow our lives and our happiness to be defined by the fact that someone else—accidentally or deliberately—has hurt us. We must forgive and move on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I have no reason to try to save face from what I said in that other thread. I am good with my participation in it.

They way you choose to respond and treat others is your deal.

I have liked this place from day one. Still do.

I have gained more in my time here than any other place I have been. The SF has been a blessing over all the years I have been here. Have I ruffled some feathers here, sure.
Have we banded together to help people absolutely.

Is that going to continue or are we going to be at each others throats.

You get to determine the future.

I agree stickman.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should take this offline.

Year V

Posts: 2634 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Is that going to continue or are we going to be at each others throats.
You need to worry about your own throat. You're not going to be at mine, but if you try to pull clumsy shit like this, you're gonna have a tough row to hoe.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Maybe you should take this offline.
Maybe you should keep out of it.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
To ORC's question: No, I don't believe so, but I am a lot less patient with stupid.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
"are you impatient, irritable, pissed off, just generally mad at the world"

I thought this was an ad for vitametavegamin for a moment..

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
You get to determine the future.
This is the part that gets me. The man is telling me I get to determine whether or not he stays or goes, and that this will be determined by my behavior.

When I feel as if I've been unduly harsh with a member, I apologize to them. Sometimes, I do so publicly. Other times, I do so by contacting the member privately. Whichever way I go about it, one thing is constant: in none of those instances do these members threaten me beforehand with their leaving the forum, but that's what old rugged cross is doing.

I determine if a member may access this forum and participate if they so choose, but once they are granted access, whether or not they stay or go is their choice, and I'll not be given ultimatums in this forum. And, if a member is going to pull such a stunt, the least they can do is come out and say it plain, and not pull this clumsy sideways shit of "you get to determine the future."

Naturally, I wish to retain members, especially those who have been here a long time, but I'll be damned if I'll have my feet held to the fire.

I have been at this discussion forum business for a very long time, and I have seen just about all there is to see when it comes to member behavior, so it's not difficult at all for me to see old rugged cross's post for exactly what it is.

He needn't worry about his membership status. He's in no danger of being banned or of facing disciplinary action, but there's not a chance in Hell that I wouldn't call out what I see going on here. The timing of his post is too perfect to be a coincidence, and I know without any doubt whatsoever, what I see. This is old hat to me.

You can't beat a man at his own game. It's a package deal here- SIGforum and me, and if you can't tolerate me, then, you have a problem.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have been impatient ans irritable most of my life. I just didn't recognize it. In retrospect I've done a considerable amount of damage. Much of that damage is irreversible and that haunts me.I was in my 50's when it occurred to me how selfish I was by nature. That selfishness made me impatient with others.

That said, there is a place for impatience, I think. I remember an interview I saw a few years ago with Jerry Lewis. He was being interviewed by a young amateurish individual who was asking silly questions. Jerry lost his patience with the young man. It looked bad on Jerry until one considers Jerry was at the end of his life. Time was more valuable then and this kid was wasting it. When seen from that perspective, I understood Jerry's response and I think it was appropriate. Jerry died not much longer after that interview. He truly didn't have time for silliness.

I've learned to discern when to be patient and with whom and when to cut bait. Perhaps getting older helps me understand the value of that. En fine, I've begun to focus on being selfless more often and trying to understand why people do what they do, choose what they choose and say what they say. I recognize now that I am not always right even if it looks like it on the surface.

None of the above is a commentary on the conversation between Parabellum and ORC.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29726 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post