SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suez Canal blocked by container ship
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suez Canal blocked by container ship Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
This could get ugly soon.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I get why removing containers would be a challenge. But could they pump off fuel, and maybe bilge water (ballast)?

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Yes, Juan discussed that in the video. Watch from 13:30.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16909 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Now there is great concern for the well-being of many animals on other ships that will soon run out of food and water because of the jam.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'm honestly not sure how they'd pull it off. People can be quite innovative at times when they really have to be though so I certainly won't say it's impossible.

Time to call the Somalis and stand aside. They will have that boat picked clean in 2 days.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
I'm honestly not sure how they'd pull it off. People can be quite innovative at times when they really have to be though so I certainly won't say it's impossible.

Time to call the Somalis and stand aside. They will have that boat picked clean in 2 days.

The scene from Lord of War when the plane was stripped bare of cargo and parts in less than 24 hours did occur to me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30908 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The Egyptians have cleared the canal.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
I had wondered if it was sand or if they had rock to prevent erosion. Never really gave too much thought to how all the things we need get from here to there or realized that one maritime accident could lead to such an incredible traffic jam!

One image I saw had what looked like a concrete sea wall holding riprap in place.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32012 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:

The scene from Lord of War when the plane was stripped bare of cargo and parts in less than 24 hours did occur to me.

I remember that. Weird and eerie, but interesting scene. Liked the movie pretty well, too.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Reports are filtering in that the ship has been freed. Not moving, but at least it is no longer stuck.

Reuters News

Posts: 1299 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, them Dodge Rams is somethin' else, huh?

Maybe now I'll get my slacks that have been stuck on that oversized fishing boat. What can I say? My tailor lives on the coast of the Black Sea.

Posts: 109058 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit more insight into how large the ship is..

She's afloat but, still aground...looks like her stern is free and partially rotated but, her bow is still stuck, possibly awaiting the coming high-tide to pull her out.

Posts: 15056 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Now that the stern is free, unloading the bow could help. However, can they do that and dredge at the same time? If not, then I’m guessing dredging will be the method of choice.

Posts: 11617 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That huge bitch has been freed. Traffic in the Suez has resumed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30908 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Space!Retards from TNG. . .

I guess Geordi finally figured it out for them.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21922 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
This thing seems to be taking way too long...

Wink

Diesel or Hemi....

Posts: 24255 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Suez Canal Authority said a sandstorm and high winds had caused poor navigation and low visibility.
Yeah, riiight. A huge payoff * Baksheesh * caused that generous determination.

https://abcnews.go.com/Interna...ero_live_twopack_hed

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
That huge bitch has been freed. Traffic in the Suez has resumed.

Is it underway underway with its own power, steering, etc as needed? Not towed?

Thanks

Posts: 11986 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Appears to be underway under her own power.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Does anyone think that more scrutiny if not outright restrictions will be placed on these mega-ships going through there in the future?

Posts: 34546 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post