SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suez Canal blocked by container ship
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suez Canal blocked by container ship Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Here is time-lapse capture of the course plot that resulted in a you-know-the thing getting depicted as shown in several posts up-thread -

Controversial Track (yootoob)

I am guessing that this is not a typical ‘holding pattern’ of a 1,300 foot vessel in relatively tight and busy areas.

Airplane and Ship pilots/etc have been doing the occasional dick-shaped paths for a while now.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Airplane and Ship pilots/etc have been doing the occasional dick-shaped paths for a while now.

More LOL
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...e-wedged-suez-canal/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16523 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing they don't put DPS on these vessels. Looks like it'd come in handy waiting your turn to go through a canal or waiting on a harbor pilot to take you into port.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23662 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I bet there's some modern-day canal design or engineering stuff that prevents this, that the original builders didn't know about or couldn't execute 150 years ago.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a big economic problem. If I remember correctly Nassar shut down the Suez for six days in the midst of a crisis and it sure got the attention of the super powers.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
This is a big economic problem. If I remember correctly Nassar shut down the Suez for six days in the midst of a crisis and it sure got the attention of the super powers.

It's been closed before for much longer than that more than once. In '67 it was closed for eight years before it was reopened in '75.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30908 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I've read an article showing pic of the EVER GIVEN freed and towed, reportedly to one side of canal. Article was on my phone, and I'm not having any success on laptop for a link. Was on inews.co.uk .

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2079 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's been closed before for much longer than that more than once. In '67 it was closed for eight years before it was reopened in '75.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the clarification. The media is trying to pitch this as an economic disaster. Are they overplaying it or have we become more dependent on container shipping throught the Suez??

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
I've read an article showing pic of the EVER GIVEN freed and towed, reportedly to one side of canal. Article was on my phone, and I'm not having any success on laptop for a link. Was on inews.co.uk .

I don't see anything like that, there or elsewhere.

This was posted this morning, including comments from the Dutch salvage company tasked with freeing it

quote:
But Peter Berdowski, CEO of Dutch company Boskalis, which is trying to free the ship, compared it to "an enormous beached whale" and said "it might take weeks" to get the vessel off, possibly necessitating "a combination of reducing the weight by removing containers, oil and water from the ship, tugboats and dredging of sand."

Speaking to the Dutch television program Nieuwsuur on Wednesday, Berdowski said that while the canal is 25 meters (82 feet) deep in the middle, it quickly gets shallow on either side. "It goes to 15 meters, to 11 meters, and then even less to the ends. The ship is 15.7 meters deep," he said, or nearly 52 feet

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the clarification. The media is trying to pitch this as an economic disaster. Are they overplaying it or have we become more dependent on container shipping throught the Suez??

Lloyds of London estimates ~$9.7 Billion worth of goods goes through the Suez *every day*, about half going East, and half going West.

Now it's not like those goods all just cease to exist because of the delay, so I dunno how they can calculate the real losses of this, yet, especially without taking into account the specific goods on the specific ships included, but it sounds like a huge deal.

I do know that to air ship a single full 20ft container from China to the US is around $10,000 (a friend just did it), so the ripple effects for time sensitive goods can be devastating, and that's not including any spoilage or damaged goods or cancelled orders or late fees or a zillion other things.

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
OK, found an article I can post..

boat floats again

(Bloomberg) -- A giant ship that blocked the Suez Canal has now been moved alongside the bank of the waterway, potentially easing the disruption to one of the world’s busiest maritime trade routes for everything from oil to consumer goods.

The Ever Given, a container ship longer than the Eiffel Tower that ran aground in the southern part of the canal in Egypt, could soon be towed to a different position, allowing traffic to resume in the waterway, GAC, a provider of port-agent services, said on its website, citing information from the Suez Canal Authority.

The blockage has left dozens of vessels gridlocked as they attempted to transit between the Red Sea and Mediterranean. Efforts to remove the vessel proceeded faster than initial warnings that the canal could be blocked for days.

The 193-kilometer-long (120 miles) Suez Canal is among the most trafficked waterways in the world, used by tankers shipping crude from the Middle East to Europe and North America. About 12% of global trade and 8% of liquefied natural gas pass through the canal, as do around 1 million barrels of oil each day.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2079 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

An economic disaster might be a bit hyperbolic, but I'm sure it's going to hurt the European market noticeably nonetheless. I'm not so sure that it will affect goods heading to the US as much though. But really I don't know. Logistics and economics aren't my expertise.

quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
OK, found an article I can post..

boat floats again

That article is a day old and inaccurate.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30908 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Here is time-lapse capture of the course plot that resulted in a you-know-the thing getting depicted as shown in several posts up-thread -

I am guessing that this is not a typical ‘holding pattern’ of a 1,300 foot vessel in relatively tight and busy areas.

The only thing obvious is that the pilot of the ship is not Jewish....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What a bunch of dicks.

Posts: 7633 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit more detail and issues to consider...

Posts: 15056 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15056 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This works Big Grin

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16523 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
How about they bring is some high pressure water jets or pumps and blast the seabed out from under the hull where it is grounded.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
How about they bring is some high pressure water jets or pumps and blast the seabed out from under the hull where it is grounded.

Already doing that with the dredgers...danger is making sure the material removed doesn't unbalance or, force too much weight onto one area which results in sections of the hull to bend. As an example, is the rudder and/or prop grounded or, just a section of the transom? If the rudder is grounded they need to make sure the weight of the ship isn't sitting on top of it and its digging into the bottom.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There's a good picture of what they are doing now, but I can't figure out how to post it. The articles are behind pay walls. The picture shows a ship nosed into the Ever Given's bow on it's port side. It also shows a long tube running from the ship along the canal discharging material quite aways away from the Ever Given.

By the looks of it, it seems they are going to attempt to pull the Ever Given's bow to port and stern to starboard to pivot it around back into the canal.

Posts: 11617 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post