SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for snow blowers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for snow blowers? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
This has been discussed before, but I could not fine that thread. What do we like for walk behind push snow blowers. Plastic or metal blades? Best engine size? Assisted pull like on some lawnmowers? What say you?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ariens.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much are you doing with it? Basically Ariens brand 8 horse electric start is a capable medium duty machine.

Posts: 1504 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
36 sq feet of snow removal or 3600 sq feet of snow removal area?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and under $2000.00 or over $2,000.00

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my needs, I will probably purchase an Ariens 24" Compact model prior to this winter.

My driveway is not huge (about 4 cars worth of surface area) and it is level.

I live in eastern PA, so snowfall is typically light to moderate, with occasional heavy snow fall amounts.

I have limited storage space, so the 'compact' model helps with that.

I'll buy it from a privately owned and reputable shop, as support and service will be better than from a big box store. Some say that the quality of the models sold from private shops are better than from other channels.

Happy shopping!!

Rob

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, cookster has it right. Same unit I have. Have had if for several years now. I have a lot os snow removal eq. That little unit does well for med. duty snow falls. Think it was around $600 and USA made. I have been more than satisfied with it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My arms and good quality shovel. Curse/blessing, I've got single wide 60' driveway, even in the big ones no problem for me. Cliff we only get big ones every 5-10 years. I'd say you'd be better off saving the money and paying neighbors kids $50 to do it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in the Upper Midwest (more snow than DC area), I had a single stage MTD with the electric start (no battery, you plugged it into 120V). Worked great for 90+% of the storms. The nice thing about single stage is they clean all the way to the driveway with the replacement tips on the aiger (provides some self-propelked). Only time it routinely struggled was the nasty shit the snowplow puts in the end of the driveway. Gave it to my Dad when I moved to SoCal and 16 years later still works great.

When I lived in Alaska, I bought a Craftsman 28” two stage. 28” comes in 5 motor sizes (<200, 208, 250, 277, and >300 cc). I had the 277 and it was excellent. The winter we set a record with 11’-2” of total snowfall it never missed a beat but my neighbors 208 cc 28” 2 stage left him shoveling several times as it was underpowered. The best thing about it was the joystick control where with a flick of the wrist you could turn the chute 180 degrees and change throw angle (way better than the infernal crank to change chute direction).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23659 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Arien’s 28” Deluxe works fine up here in Michigan. It caused me to Park my Ford tractor with plow for the winter.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arien's or Toro two stage

I've had my Toro for 24 Minnesota winters and it has never let me down. Still starts on the first or second pull.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Two stage, Toro. Match horsepower to the work you expect.

Heavy wet snow is much, much harder to move. 14" of dry powder is about like 3" of heavy wet stuff. I own the second smallest Toro, and blow out about 125' of single car drive. I've never had to use 1st gear, but 2nd is very slow and I use it once a year I guess.

A machine that allows you to unlock one drive wheel to turn is a feature I now envy. Not so much in the early winter but later when you are trying to turn in a 30 inch tunnel of old snow you've been cutting through for 3 months. If you are in a situation where you must operate in tight quarters get it. By the way, this is why people just keep on going when doing sidewalks, it's easier than turning around generally speaking.

IMHO, single stage is for areas that aren't really that hard to shovel. But your just tired of that shit, getting to old, don't have the time, etc,. You have to be able to keep up with the weather too. By that I mean, no waiting a couple days maybe even not overnight. They aren't designed to break up snow, think broom vs. shovel. They are easier to store though. No gravel for single stage.

I see now you are in VA. you're more likely to get by with a single stage than I am here in MN. I'd say if you can hit the snow every 3" in a big killer storm you'll get by just fine.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5236 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Any Ariens two stage snow blower will do the job. If space is a consideration, as others have said, consider the Compact 24. I have this model and it has never failed me, even in snows way beyond what you'd think it should handle. There are bigger models, but this little guy gets it done and doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/s...s/compact/compact-24

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
This has been discussed before, but I could not fine that thread. What do we like for walk behind push snow blowers. Plastic or metal blades? Best engine size? Assisted pull like on some lawnmowers? What say you?

Insufficient information. Depends upon how much snow you get (depth), how heavy it tends to be (wet/dry), how often you get snow, the size of the area to be cleared, and your physical condition.

(Not even gonna ask why this is coming up in the middle of summer Smile.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Not even gonna ask why this is coming up in the middle of summer .)

Probably because in the middle of winter is a worse time...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
(Not even gonna ask why this is coming up in the middle of summer .)

Probably because in the middle of winter is a worse time...
Absolutely the best time to buy a snowblower.

For example, when I moved from Can-eh-duh to Houston it was late June. I didn't need an Alaska sized snowblower in Houston (don't even need a snow shovel) so I put it on Kijiji (Can-eh-duh's version of Craigslist). The buyer got a fantastic buy on a well maintained snowblower, and I guarantee I would've gotten more money for it had my employer moved me in November.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23659 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I lived in Alaska, I bought a Craftsman 28” two stage. 28” comes in 5 motor sizes (<200, 208, 250, 277, and >300 cc). I had the 277 and it was excellent. The winter we set a record with 11’-2” of total snowfall it never missed a beat but my neighbors 208 cc 28” 2 stage left him shoveling several times as it was underpowered. The best thing about it was the joystick control where with a flick of the wrist you could turn the chute 180 degrees and change throw angle (way better than the infernal crank to change chute direction).

This the one that I have. A neighbor was moving and sold it to me for $75 just to get rid of it. I put around $100 into it to get it in tip top shape. The thing is a tank in heavy snow. I don't know what engine it has, but it is 8hp so it must be one of the bigger ones.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in real snow country, we all used Honda snowblowers. East start znd worked great even on Sierra Cement (heavy, wet) snow.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1223 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toro CCR-2000 (single-stage) replaced a handful of parts over 31 years. Starts easy. Clears snow down to the pavement.

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toro or Ariens 2 stage.

If you have $4,000 - get a Honda hydro-stat.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post