SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for snow blowers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for snow blowers? Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had an MTD 2 stage for 20 years or so. It takes about $100.00 in maintenance every couple of years. It always starts on the first pull and works great.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Florida. Big Grin

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Florida. Big Grin

Hurricanes Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Florida. Big Grin

Hurricanes Big Grin

High heat and humidity. No thanks! Big Grin

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ariens.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a little electric jobber for clearing my roughly 50' sidewalk. Plow on the 4-wheeler and bucket on the tractor for the driveway.

It can sometimes be a pain, but I figure the year I decide to either buy a blower for the tractor or spend a few thousand on a decent walk-behind blower, we won't get any snow worth blowing for roughly five years after that. Then, I'll be kicking myself in the ass for spending all that money.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Toro CCR-2000 (single-stage) replaced a handful of parts over 31 years. Starts easy. Clears snow down to the pavement.

I guess we bought them at the same time. It was what the dealer for several brands and models was using for his parking lot that was bigger than my driveway. No regrets ever and like you said, it takes it completely down to the pavement.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It can sometimes be a pain, but I figure the year I decide to either buy a blower for the tractor or spend a few thousand on a decent walk-behind blower, we won't get any snow worth blowing for roughly five years after that. Then, I'll be kicking myself in the ass for spending all that money.
The gal that worked for me in Alaska said the same thing. Her husband lived in their house prior to getting married, and had been through 1 mild winter alone and 1 mild winter as a couple. The army sent him to A-stan and I tried to talk her into buying a snowblower, but she said shoveling was good exercise. That was the winter we set the record with 11'-2" of snow so she got lots of good exercise.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23661 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not enough info to size or recommend. But I snowblow a lot and I prefer the Honda tracked machines (at the moment I have 4). They are utterly reliable, better than the tired ones on actual terrain, etc. But of course if you don't get actual snow, need to move serious amounts, etc. etc. there are lots of other way less expensive choices.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11165 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Snow blower? I like Shugart.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
About 20 years ago I bought a Craftsman with tank treads thinking I would be ready for anything.
What I was not ready for was what a total POS it was, clog O matic! Suffered with it every snow fall, belts constantly breaking and snow constantly clocking in the chute.I finally bought a plow for the lawn tractor.
I keep the snowblower only so I can remind myself to NEVER by Craftsman again.

Posts: 4688 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the size of your driveway and property for that matter, you may want a garden tractor that can use a snowblower and or plow as well as a mower deck. Our old house had a half mile driveway that I needed to clear. A 36" blower mounted to the front of my tractor took 2 hours to clear with 10" of snow. A two foot storm took about 3 hours. Our new place has a small drive that takes about 45 minutes to clear with a 48" blower, but that includes playing and making sure it is totally clear 12"-18" of snow.

Posts: 3682 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toro power max 2 stage with steering control, joystick chute control, and headlight. Its very easy to operate and maneuver, lots of power and I enjoy using it. The downside is it’s huge and takes up a lot of space.

Posts: 214 | Registered: May 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Arien’s 28” Deluxe works fine up here in Michigan. It caused me to Park my Ford tractor with plow for the winter.

Same here, great unit.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If most of your snows are 4" or less and you do not have a lot to snowblow, a Toro single stage is the preferred machine. A lot here still use them if they only have a tiny area to do. You just do it throughout the bigger storms.

For everything else, an Ariens 2 stage. I have an older 824 that works great on my drive which is 2.5 wide and about 100 ft long. It's moved every snow we have had.

The engine is no longer made but it is a Tecumseh in 318cc which was used on their 8 and 9 hp.

Avoid tiny engines on a 2-stage. I've only used the plug in electric start once or twice. Mine is stored in the garage and starts in a pull or two.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a leftover model Toro 2 stage from Home Depot last year. I purposely went with overkill so I could be prepared for the occasional blizzard we get every few years here in northern Illinois. A couple of snowfalls last winter were very wet and heavy snowfall and the thing just chewed right through it like butter. Didn’t even have to use the choke to start it. Started on the first pull every single time.

Posts: 721 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Thanks & apologies are in order. Thanks for the suggestions. Apologies for forgetting to update my status. I am now retired as of past April, packed up and moved back to my hometown of KCMO. Winters here are potentially not as mild as in Virginia. I'm quickly learning all over again that you can experience all 4 seasons over the span of one weekend in the midwest. Asking about snowblowers in July? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Screw that. Prepare for the worst. It will come eventually.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one that someone else is using. Big Grin

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Kansas City Snowfall Totals & Accumulation Averages

Toro single-stage Power Curve will be more than you'll ever need. I used one up here in Michigan for ten years or so. For heavier snowfalls I'd have to get out there and do intermediate clearing because of its depth limitations, but it handled most snowfalls in a single clearing with no problem.

You certainly don't need a two-stage, that's for sure.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Let me throw my Simplicity brand out there for consideration. I always used a two stage when I lived in the snow belt of northern Michigan. Since moving back downstate to the metro Detroit area, this has ben more than sufficient for my needs.

https://www.snowblowersdirect....-Thrower/p69945.html

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post