SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kim Gardner Confiscates McCloskey's AR-15
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kim Gardner Confiscates McCloskey's AR-15 Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Corrupt AND Incompetent.

Thats a great combination you got there Kimmy...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
More on Gardner's incompetence:

McCloskey pardoned as Gardner twists in scandals

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
The St. Louis City Circuit Attorney's office has become almost as much of a threat to public safety and order as the criminals who infest the city.

Link

Man convicted of murder freed after conviction overturned, St. Louis prosecutors decline new trial date
A judge who overturned the conviction of Lamont Cambell for ineffective counsel in December was set to schedule a new trial date Thursday.

ST. LOUIS — Within the span of a 10-minute hearing Thursday, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner’s Office went from asking a judge for more time before agreeing to set a new trial date for a man convicted of first-degree murder to dropping the case against him all together.

Lamont Cambell was convicted of the 2011 murder of Leonard Gregory III during a second trial in 2016. He’s been in prison ever since.

He appealed his conviction in 2019, and Judge Timothy Boyer ruled in December Cambell had ineffective counsel and should be granted a new trial – a decision the victim’s family said Gardner’s office didn’t tell them about.

On Thursday, Boyer scheduled a hearing to set a new trial date.

Assistant Circuit Attorney Marvin Teer asked Boyer if he could have until the end of the day to let the judge know how prosecutors wanted to proceed with the case after Boyer proposed a new trial date for April.

Cambell’s public defender, Valeria Leftwich, then responded to Boyer.

“This has taken a little bit of a U-turn, something was supposed to be filed today,” Leftwich said.

Boyer then set a new trial date for April, telling Teer prosecutors have had enough time to get to know the evidence in the case and three months was plenty of time to prepare for a new trial. Teer left the courtroom to take a phone call, and moments after he returned, he announced the charges had been dismissed altogether.

Cambell walked out of the City Justice Center Thursday afternoon.

After Cambell's release, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner’s Office issued a statement that read, in part:

"The investigation must be restarted to hold the perpetrator accountable for the crime committed. In every case, the Circuit Attorney’s Office is dedicated to ensuring that it carries out its duty to prosecute criminal cases in a manner that is fair and seeks justice on behalf of the residents of the City of St. Louis. At this time, we ask the general public to provide any information that will assist in the investigation of this crime."

Family is furious

The victim’s aunt, Christine Tierney, and only sibling, Regan Cabbabe, wept and exchanged some heated words with Teer, saying Cambell should be kept in prison until a new trial date can be set and scolded him for keeping them in the dark.

“I’m not convinced he did it and as far as I’m concerned, one day in jail is too many if he didn’t do it,” Teer told them.

The victim’s family also addressed the court saying Gardner met with them Wednesday afternoon telling them her office had no other option than to drop the charges against Cambell and turn the investigation back to the police department. They said there was no mention of setting a new trial date, and, because the December hearing was called a post-conviction relief hearing, prosecutors aren’t obligated to keep them informed about the proceedings.

The family said they only learned of Boyer’s decision to overturn the conviction because a reporter called them following the December hearing asking for their reaction to the news.

“We have been blindsided by all of this,” Tierney told the judge. “We want the right person in jail for this, but they didn’t tell us anything. They failed us. It wasn’t until we called and harassed them that they finally agreed to meet with us less than 24 hours before this hearing. A family shouldn’t have to go through this.”

“I’m sorry for what has happened,” Boyer said.

Problems with the case

Gregory was sitting inside his car in the 2800 block of Chariton Street in 2011 when Gregory’s family said Cambell, then 17, tried to rob him at gunpoint.

Gregory is the son of a retired St. Louis police sergeant.

“He was shot in the arm, and then panicked and tried to drive away, but crashed about a block away and Lamont ran up on him and shot him in the head,” Cababbe said.

Cambell’s first trial ended in a hung jury, with 11 in favor of conviction and one holdout, Cababbe said.

In 2016, following a second trial in which a jury found him guilty of first-degree murder, Circuit Judge Phillip Heagney gave Cambell a life sentence with eligibility for parole, which in Missouri, is calculated at 30 years.

Cambell’s attorney during his second trial was Mary Fox, former head of the city’s public defender’s office. She’s now head of the Missouri Public Defender's Office.

“In the real world, if someone doesn’t do their job, they get fired,” Tierney said.

Cambell’s defense attorneys also said the lead homicide detective on the case had an affair with one of the witnesses who identified Cambell as the killer.

That witness was married at the time. The former husband and wife identified Cambell as the killer to police, and the victim's family said the affair began after the couple identified Cambell as the killer.

Sarah Hyatt, the witness, also argued that Cambell's defense timeline was incorrect and that there was no communication between she and her the detective before the trial.

"I'm very disappointed in the legal system and how they are using me as a scapegoat in putting a murderer back on the streets," Hyatt said.

The woman, who told 5 On Your Side she lived where the shooting happened, stood firm on her account when she testified and that she was heartbroken along with Gregory's family.

She said during the first trial, Cambell jumped out of his chair to run to her when she identified him in court, which prompted the guards to pull him back.

"I will never forget those eyes. I know it is him. It is not something that I asked to see. It is devastating. I didn't want to see it but I did. I had to testify. I had to do what was right," Hyatt continued.

A Response from the St. Louis Circuit Attorney's Office

Based upon court findings and the judge’s extraordinary ruling that vacated the conviction and sentence of Lamont Darnell Campbell, the Circuit Attorney’s Office has dismissed the underlying case against Mr. Campbell.

The investigation must be restarted to hold the perpetrator accountable for the crime committed. In every case, the Circuit Attorney’s Office is dedicated to ensuring that it carries out its duty to prosecute criminal cases in a manner that is fair and seeks justice on behalf of the residents of the City of St. Louis. At this time, we ask the general public to provide any information that will assist in the investigation of this crime.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I read an article about a special prosecutor being assigned to St Louis to prosecute all murders, car jacking, etc

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

There’s been a recent spate of violent carjackings which left one woman dead, shot in the face. They just caught three teens, two juvies and an 18 yr. old. The word is they’re considering going federal, most likely to avoid having to deal with her never-ending malfeasance.

She’s truly unbelievable. Last year, some rocket scientist approached a marked SLMPD unit and attempted to carjack it until he realized he was trying to jack two on-duty coppers. He runs, they nab him and his gun. They quite appropriately throw the book at him and she declines to issue. When asked why, she claims, “it’s under investigation.”

posted Hide Post
Chalk up another totally preventable tragedy. The difference here is that some in Kim Gardner's own party are beginning to speak out against her. Sadly, it took a 17 year-old teenage athlete losing both legs to generate outrage.

Link

Missouri Senate leader calls for Kim Gardner’s resignation

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner is facing political pushback, including calls to resign from some Missouri state lawmakers, after a tragic situation involving a teenage girl over the weekend.

Janae Edmondson, 17, was in town for a volleyball tournament. While walking to her hotel with family, she was struck by a driver who was out on bond, but violated court orders. Both of Edmondson’s legs have been amputated since the collision, and she remains hospitalized in critical condition on Wednesday.

Days after the collision, several Missouri state lawmakers have condemned Gardner’s response to the situation.

Sen. Caleb Rowden (R-19th District), President Pro Tem of the Missouri Senate, weighed in via Twitter on Wednesday morning and called on Gardner to resign from her office.

“Kim Gardner is incompetent and grossly unfit to hold her office,” said Rowden, quote tweeting a STLToday.com story. “She should resign or I will systematically and aggressively work with my colleagues in the #MOLeg to ensure her incompetence isn’t putting more lives in danger. The people of #STL deserve better and Missouri deserves better.”

Rep. Raychel Proudie (D-District 73), who represents parts of north St. Louis County, has also been vocal about the tragedy. She referenced a statement Wednesday morning via Twitter from the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office and said it’s not enough.

“EVERY. SINGLE. WORD of this statement should have been about Janae Edmondson– instead,” said Proudie, quote-tweeting the statement. “Half of it is political BS. Her TN family has neither any idea of or a damn thing to do with. The Circuit Attorney’s Office did better to have said nothing. Lord, have mercy.”

Another Democratic lawmaker who represents the St. Louis area, Rep. Rasheen Aldridge (D-78th District), is also calling for accountability.

“As elected officials, we owe it to the people we serve to take responsibility and own our mistakes when our negligence leads to these kinds of tragedies,” said Aldridge in a statement to FOX 2. “I’m disappointed in Circuit Attorney Gardner’s tone-deaf response that focuses more on herself than the young woman whose life has been irrevocably changed. I hope she reflects on what her office did wrong and how she can do better in the future so others can visit our great city safely.”

The St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s office released the following statement on the incident Tuesday:

“A young girl’s life was tragically changed because of the inexcusable behavior of a young man. Our hearts go out to the victim and her family for this unspeakable tragedy that will undoubtedly have a lasting impact not only on her, but her family and loved ones. It’s unfortunate that there are those who choose to twist the facts to take advantage of this situation for their own selfish motives. This is not the time for finger pointing, it’s time to support this family, and ensure that justice is served.”

The man accused in the crash, 21-year-old Daniel Riley was out on bond from a 2020 armed robbery case. He was granted a personal recognizance bond last August on conditions of GPS monitoring and house arrest. Court records show he violated house arrest dozens of times leading up to the crash.

“This crime was as preventable as it is tragic. While this tragedy may serve as a turning point in the efforts to strengthen public safety, it only highlights the lingering issues that have gone unaddressed for far too long. We need immediate action. These issues are not new, and solving them requires all of us stepping up and coming together as one metro to develop a regional strategy to reduce crime and strengthen public safety. The ongoing failures of the Circuit Attorney’s office – with regard to the individual involved in this case as well as a litany of other cases that have not been brought to justice – are unforgivable,” states Greater St. Louis, Inc. CEO Jason Hall.

The incident adds to many waves of criticism and challenges facing Gardner’s office. She was previously disciplined last year amid allegations of concealing evidence in a high-profile case. Former Attorney General Eric Schmitt also accused her of concealing evidence in efforts to vacate the conviction of Lamar Johnson.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson is also calling for justice for Edmondson’s family.

“It’s a serious crime, and you see what price that young lady paid for it, she’s going to lose both her legs,” Parson said. “Unfortunately, when people hear those stories in our state, it’s never a good day for the state of Missouri as a whole, yet alone the St. Louis region. People will have to be held accountable. We are going to have to go back to those days when repeat offenders and violent offenders are taken off the streets of our state.”

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
WOW...Horribly Tragic! So much so, that it deserves it's very own thread. Frown

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I considered that but I think it's only when her incompetence is considered in it's totality that the true impact of her harm to the office can be realized.

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Incompetence or willful malevolence?

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I believe she’s guilty of both but I think it would be easier to prove incompetence.

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
An Understandable perspective

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
In Gardner's latest fuck up, The thug was set to go to trial (some reports say last July, others say in January) but the Prosecution didn't show up, so case was continued. Thug is out on 'bond" with a GPS ankle bracelet. During the time Thug was out, he violated the conditions of his release and electronic monitoring almost 50 times. The Prosecutor's office made no effort or motion to get the suspect "violated" (violating conditions of release) and put in jail. Thug is out and about, again violating his conditions of release, along with driving while revoked or suspended, traveling at least 30 mph over posted speed limit. Thug loses control of car, flips it, pins girl between two cars, resulting in both legs being amputated.

A day or so ago, Jones, the "progressive commie" mayor of St. Louis City put out a stupid statement about evils of traffic violations and this incident. She of course was called on it, so today she came out with a statement that Gardner should resign. This statement was also joined by several Aldermen, who previously supported Gardner, all telling Gardner to resign.

Edited to add that now new reports are saying the thug violated electronic monitoring 90 times.

New Update: Gardner released a statement where she tries to blame the judge for not revoking the bond and electronic monitoring. She claims they asked the judge numerous times....yet per the Circuit Court records there is no paperwork showing the revocation requests:

"In the statement, Gardner went on to say her office asked multiple times for a judge to deny Riley's bond, but the requests were denied. One of the dates the statement mentions is January 2023.

That goes against a Tuesday statement from the 22nd Judicial Circuit, which said "the prosecutor, to date, has never filed a motion to revoke Riley's bond in response to any of the 51 violations."

Apparently when the case was supposed to go to trial this last summer, Gardner's office listed the victim as deceased (which he wasn't) and notified the court and defense. This resulted in the case being dropped. The prosecutor was then notified by the family that the victim wasn't dead, so she re-filed the charges which basically had the same bond and electronic monitoring as before.

The Missouri Attorney General has issued a statement that unless Gardner resigns by noon Thursday 2/23/23, he will begin proceedings to remove her from office (which the Missouri Supreme Court SHOULD have done on her previous case for malfeasance).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
The Missouri Attorney General has issued a statement that unless Gardner resigns by noon Thursday 2/23/23, he will begin proceedings to remove her from office...
Yes, and what a glorious thing to see, first thing this morning!

Missouri AG gives ultimatum to Dem attorney Kim Gardner following public outcry: resign or be removed

My prediction? That vile leftist bitch would never resign. I would love to see her barricade herself in her office with the McCloskey's AR15 only to discover she has no ammunition.

Uh, say, Kim, we was uhh, thinkin' 'bout havin' this group buy, and if you can hold out for a while... Razz

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Missouri AG gives ultimatum to Dem attorney Kim Gardner following public outcry: resign or be removed

Kim Gardner has managed to piss off everyone, including her own leftist supporters.

I don't know whether or not she will resign... but if not, this will be fascinating to watch.

Attorney General Andrew Bailey
@AGAndrewBailey
We are giving Kim Gardner until noon tomorrow to resign. If she refuses, she will face immediate removal proceedings in the form of a writ of quo warranto brought by our office.

A writ of quo warranto is a common law remedy which is used to challenge a person's right to hold a public or corporate office.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A writ of quo warranto is a common law remedy which is used to challenge a person's right to hold a public or corporate office.

chellim1,I was unfamiliar with the writ mentioned so I did a little reading and found the following:

In one case from Alabama, the court noted that the writ of quo warranto is “utilized to test whether person may lawfully hold office and the purpose of writ of quo warranto is to ascertain whether office holder is constitutionally and legally authorized to perform any act in, or exercise any functions of, office to which he or she lays claim” link

Other sites seemed to imply that the writ was somewhat antiquated and could only be used to determine whether the person in question meets the legal requirements for holding their office and cannot be used to allege misconduct within that office or seek the person's removal from office for reasons related to misconduct.

Do you have any insights into how the AG may be intending to use this writ? Assuming she doesn't resign by noon and the AG goes ahead with the writ, is there some online source where we can see the content of the writ?

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other sites seemed to imply that the writ was somewhat antiquated and could only be used to determine whether the person in question meets the legal requirements for holding their office and cannot be used to allege misconduct within that office or seek the person's removal from office for reasons related to misconduct.

Right. It's antiquated. That's part of what will make it interesting.
quote:
Do you have any insights into how the AG may be intending to use this writ?

No, but it won't be heard in the City.
I suppose it will be brought straight to the Missouri Supreme Ct.
When it's filed, you'll be able to see it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Thanks!

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I did have the chance to meet and chat with the new Attorney General, Andrew Bailey, two weekends ago at our State Lincoln Days in Springfield. He's very smart and he's personable.

The McCloskey's were also there.

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
That's good to hear. The two AG's preceding Bailey have done pretty well so hopefully he will follow in their footsteps.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Great news. Will be interesting to follow the removal process.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post