SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Mexico militia detains migrants at gunpoint until Border Patrol arrives: report
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico militia detains migrants at gunpoint until Border Patrol arrives: report Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My hats off to them. The politicians are not capable of protecting the citizenry, but willing to threaten them in regards to illegal criminal rights. I think we need to find a way to fund maltia expenses such as food and water while they do the work of those who wont. ( Or cant because their hands are tied).

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Migrants? Invaders is a more appropriate description and they should be dealt with as such.

Posts: 13120 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
https://www.reuters.com/articl...mexico-idUSKCN1RW0O5

FBI arrests leader of armed group stopping migrants in New Mexico

TAOS, N.M. (Reuters) - The FBI on Saturday said it had arrested Larry Hopkins, the leader of an armed group that is stopping undocumented migrants after they cross the U.S.-Mexico border into New Mexico.

The arrest came two days after the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) accused the group of illegally detaining migrants and New Mexico’s Democratic Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham ordered an investigation.

Hopkins, 69, also known as Johnny Horton, was arrested in Sunland Park, New Mexico, on a federal complaint charging him with being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said in a statement.

“We’re not worried about it, he’s going to be cleared,” said Jim Benvie, a spokesman for the United Constitutional Patriots (UCP), blaming his arrest on political pressure from Lujan Grisham.

Hopkins is the “national commander” of the UCP, which has had around half a dozen members camped out on a rotating basis near Sunland Park since late February.

PATRIOTS OR FASCISTS?
The UCP describes itself as a “patriot group” helping U.S. Border Patrol cope with record numbers of Central American families crossing the border to seek asylum.

Dressed in camouflage and carrying rifles, UCP members have helped U.S. Border Patrol detain over 5,600 migrants in the last two months, Benvie said. Videos posted online by the group show members telling migrants to stop, sit down, and wait for agents to arrive. Critics accuse the UCP of impersonating law enforcement.

Crowdfunding sites PayPal and GoFundMe on Friday barred the group, citing policies not to promote hate or violence, after the ACLU called the UCP a “fascist militia.”

“Today’s arrest by the FBI indicates clearly that the rule of law should be in the hands of trained law enforcement officials, not armed vigilantes,” New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas said in a statement of Hopkins’s arrest.

Hopkins was previously arrested in Oregon in 2006 on suspicion of impersonating a police officer and being a felon in possession of a firearm, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

NO STANDOFFS
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said in a statement it did not support citizens taking law enforcement into their own hands and instead encouraged the public to be its eyes and ears on the border.

Benvie said the UCP was doing just that and had the support of local Border Patrol and police.

Mostly military veterans, UCP members carry weapons for self defense and at no time pointed guns at migrants, as they have been accused of, Benvie said.

Despite having funding sources cut off, Benvie said the group’s online support had swelled since it came under attack this week. Its Facebook followers have more than doubled since Thursday.

Asked what the group would do if told to leave by state police, Benvie said they would probably go and, if they felt the order violated their constitutional rights, sue the state of New Mexico.

“There’s not going to be any standoffs, this isn’t the Bundy Ranch,” Benvie said, in reference to a 2014 armed confrontation in Nevada.

Reporting by Andrew Hay in Taos, New Mexico; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Christopher Cushing

Q

Posts: 26415 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
So, people within the law on citizens arrest are “vigilantes”.

People within the law on firearms are “armed vigilantes”.

PayPal and go fund me blocked services based on supposed policy violations of “promoting hate and violence” even after nether happened. Because the aclu called them a fascist militia.

“Today’s arrest by the FBI indicates clearly that the rule of law should be in the hands of trained law enforcement officials, not armed vigilantes,” New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas said in a statement of Hopkins’s arrest.”- you dare mention rule of law when you ignore illegal entry into the country and place rights of illegals over US citizens.

I won’t comment on the felon in possession claim without more info.

The border crisis becomes more of a shit show with each passing moment.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15591 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
12131 beat me to the post on this article. The only thing I was gonna comment on is that if you're gonna go to this level of action, you had better be DANG sure your record is spotless in the event the Feds do show up at your door. Yes...gonna wait (like gearhounds) to see the truth of the matter.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
ACLU? They should have another A in their name for Anti-American civil liberties union. Are those assholes for or against Americans? Sounds like they're working for the other side.

Posts: 13120 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Why the fuck aren't there 20,000 screaming citizens out front of that jail demanding his immediate release?
We should not allow them to arrest any one of us for doing the jobs that the government has failed to do.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
^^^agree 1000%

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
as a member of the Arizona and NM chapters of the organization I am still waiting t see the outcome, but operations have NOT stopped and the number being intercepted and detained is increasing.

every one that is captured, detained and turned over is one less criminal running loose in the country

we need help - food, water, ammo and of course boots on the ground

my donation of food and water supplies came with the stipulation that not one drop of water would ever be given to an illegal

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53191 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Moral of the story is...

If you're a felon. Don't be armed if you're going to put yourself in the national spotlight.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37970 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Why the fuck aren't there 20,000 screaming citizens out front of that jail demanding his immediate release?
We should not allow them to arrest any one of us for doing the jobs that the government has failed to do.

Because he is a dumbass for having firearms while a felon, videoing it, and putting it up for the world to see.
Should have been like Dogg the Bounty Hunter and been rocking the bear spray cannon.

Radio news here so no link stated he is a convicted felon for impersonating a law enforcement officer.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Moral of the story is...

If you're a felon. Don't be armed if you're going to put yourself in the national spotlight.
Yeah, so much FAIL with this guy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because a CONVICTED FELON in possession of a firearm, which is a federal offense, should not be the poster boy of this way of thinking.

If this idiot was REALLY stupid enough to first off, commit whatever felony offense he did, then second to get in the national spotlight on a controversial topic, and do so in criminal possession of a firearm, he is a douchenozzle of the highest order.

I won't associate with him.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Larry Hopkins aka Johnny Horton the General got jumped and beaten in the county jail.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...g0My?ocid=spartandhp

Local media reported the General's gun charges are from a 2017 complaint. I guess the feds weren't doing anything with that case until he put himself in the spot light.

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
as a member of the Arizona and NM chapters of the organization I am still waiting t see the outcome, but operations have NOT stopped and the number being intercepted and detained is increasing.

every one that is captured, detained and turned over is one less criminal running loose in the country

we need help - food, water, ammo and of course boots on the ground

my donation of food and water supplies came with the stipulation that not one drop of water would ever be given to an illegal

Unfortunately I don't think they are kept from running loose in the country. They are almost immediately released with a promise to show up in court in three years. Until we fix catch and release they are going to get set free to go wherever they please.

Also everything KevinCW said.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You realize we're ALL going to be felons or potentially felons if we don't stop the insanity, don't you.

Just for possession of firearms, if nothing more active.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15897 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If the government doesn't get its act together sometime soon, groups like this are going to start changing their ROE in dealing with these invaders to Shoot, Shovel, shut up.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:

Because a CONVICTED FELON in possession of a firearm, which is a federal offense, should not be the poster boy of this way of thinking.

If this idiot was REALLY stupid enough to first off, commit whatever felony offense he did, then second to get in the national spotlight on a controversial topic, and do so in criminal possession of a firearm, he is a douchenozzle of the highest order.

This dude maybe the biggest asshole in the world, but he’s right on this topic. Who else is doing something about the massive invasion of illegals?

So here we all sit, while another 100,000 illegals will get in this month.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:

And how many illegals did your moral high ground deter today?
This guy is actually doing something to curb the hoards of invaders pouring through our boarder. He has my support.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah this dude is the broken clock that is right once a day.

He’s still a dumbass the other 23:59:59 of the day.

I love how all the supporters here tout it like they’re doing something, compared to the logical folks who call this dude the retard that he is.

But reality is they are likely sitting in their tighty-whiteys, eating a piece of cake and drinking warm milk before bedtime. Bravo, you steely eye protectors of the realm. Bravo. Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post