SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Find the only correct answer I'm looking for, and you win a ***NIB P228*** /// *****WINNER = Cous2492*****
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Find the only correct answer I'm looking for, and you win a ***NIB P228*** /// *****WINNER = Cous2492***** Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I see a few problems with this scene, which begins about 2 hours and 7 minutes into the mini-series.

1. In the account from Mark in the Bible, the man who was healed was lowered by his friends through a hole broken in the roof, and Jesus told him to "Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house." In the scene in the movie, he is lowered through a part of a straw roof, and the Lord instructs him only to "rise up and walk home." He rises up, but does not take his bed with him as instructed in the Bible. The scene then ends.

2. In the scripture, the scribes did not speak out loud that it was blasphemy when the Lord said the man with palsy's sins were forgiven him. It says the Lord perceived it in his heart.

3. I do not believe the scripture mentioned he had had palsy for 20 years.

4. The scripture says he was "borne of four". The movie shows more than four people carrying him over the wall and down through the roof.

5. It might also be said at least in the Mark version the man did not speak and say he was a sinner before the Lord said he was forgiven.

The rest of it seems correct as recorded in the scriptures (other than it was not mentioned to have occurred at Peter's house).

see Mark 2:1-12

1.And again he entered into Capernaum after some days; and it was noised that he was in the house.

2 And straightway many were gathered together, insomuch that there was no room to receive them, no, not so much as about the door: and he preached the word unto them.

3 And they come unto him, bringing one sick of the palsy, which was borne of four.

4 And when they could not come nigh unto him for the press, they uncovered the roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed wherein the sick of the palsy lay.

5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.

6 But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,

7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

8 And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?

9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?

10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

11 I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.

12 And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.

This is another video which shows this scene. I like how in this version the man looks into the Lord's eyes and hugs him after he is healed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4-wxIB1pA

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
He actually was in Capernaum not Nazereth.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a scene where someone had on underwear, which wasn't around back then.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131, I have to thank you for these riddles. They get people thinking of Jesus and act as a ministry on the forum. Perhaps someone will come to Jesus after doing research and watching the film. Your prize will be in heaven!

That being said, my first guess is: THE SCENE SET AT PETER'S HOUSE IS PORTRAYED AS BEING IN A LARGE, CLOTH ROOFED DWELLING WITH MORE THAN TWENTY PEOPLE INSIDE (AND LOTS OF ROOM TO SPARE). IT IS UNLIKELY THAT PETER WOULD HAVE SUCH A HOME.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
In the version in Luke 5, it says they let him down through the tiling, in the movie scene the roofing material looked like straw. In the Luke account, it says he went to his house glorifying God, but the scene did not show that.

Also, the scene showed the people filled with fear, but the account in Luke said the people were amazed and glorified God. I did not see the people glorifying God in the movie scene.

Luke called it a couch, the movie version looked more like a litter. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Neither the Luke or Mark accounts mention the man who was healed say his condition was due to his sins and his parents' sins, but the movie has the man who was healed say "it is the curse of God, punishment for my sins and my parents' sins."

posted Hide Post
The vegetation is incorrect?

I dunno. You got me again. Nice looking P228, though.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Got any prizes for areligious Jews born 2 years after the movie came out?

*This is my place holder for if no one guesses right and it goes to the Karmanator.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got nothin', but wanted to say you're awesome! Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
When he says to Levi, "I don't know your name, but I know what you do..."

Shouldn't Jesus pretty much know everyone's name?

(not thought about the Bible in about 30 years -- sorry if this is a lame answer)

(By the way, this is my post 6000 Smile )

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Radioman, I think you might have it there. When the Apostles argued later in the Gospels about who was the greatest, and He said the greatest was the servant of all. So, if Jesus was, by his words the least and the lowest of them all..

Given the OP did not exclude Jesus in his hints, and given the Lord surely knew Matthew's name before Matthew told him, that's a great observation.

There is no record in the scriptures that Peter hated Matthew, though the publicans were always hated.

In the account of this in Matthew, it says Jesus met Matthew later, after he left the place where the man with palsy was healed. There is no record that I can remember of Jesus asking to come to Matthew's house for dinner. I remember he ate with publicans, but I do not think he invited himself. Not sure if that dinner was at Matthew's house. Maybe it was.

Not sure how this fits in the OP's rules, because at this point Matthew was not yet an Apostle.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
None of those people have every been in my living room. I had to take a shot. Big Grin

Posts: 5595 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Clue #6: Thanks to all who participated so far. A lot of answers we know already available by internet search. But, a lot of good original answers, too. You guys are great. But, obviously, no correct answer that I'm looking for, so, here is clue #6. Ignore everything else, and watch between 2:07:05 and 2:10:00. Smile

Q

Posts: 26388 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Texans
posted Hide Post
Jesus new what the men were thinking in there hearts and in the movie they ask him out loud.

Jesus told the man this in the Bible. “I say to you, get up. Take your bed and go to your home.”
and in the movie he didn't.

The wrong type of rope.

Posts: 722 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
There was a 5th man helping carry the liter for the paralytic man?

Jesus does not say “Son, your sins are forgiven.” but rather, " your sins are forgiven you. " Actually, quite a bit of dialogue was wrong in this scene

Was it the paralytic man blaming his condition on God because of his sins and the sins of his parents? Not sure if that was anywhere in the bible..

1 A few days later, Jesus went back to Capernaum. And when the people heard He was home,

2 they gathered in such large numbers that there was no more room, not even outside the door, as Jesus spoke the word to them.

3 Then a paralytic was brought to Him, carried by four men.

4 Since they were unable to get to Jesus through the crowd, they uncovered the roof above Him, made an opening, and lowered the paralytic on his mat. In the movie, they used a litter and rope

5 When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “ Son, your sins are forgiven .”

6 But some of the scribes were sitting there and contemplating in their hearts,

7 “ Why does this man speak like this? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?

8 At once Jesus knew in His spirit that they were considering this within themselves. “ Why do you question these things in your hearts?” He asked. 9 “Which is easier: to say to a paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, pick up your mat, and walk’?

10 But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins... ” He said to the paralytic,

11 “I tell you, get up, pick up your mat, and go home.”

12 And immediately the man got up, picked up his mat, and walked out in front of them all. As a result, everyone was amazed and glorified God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this!”

At the end of the scene in the movie, people in the background exclaimed "it's a miracle" instead of We have never seen anything like this!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
In the Bible there is no mention of Levi and Jesus meeting in Peters house as depicted in the mini series.

In the scripture (Mark 2: 13-17). Jesus call Levi, telling him "follow me" after healing the paralyzed man on the bed. Further, Levi wasn't just standing in the crowd, he was along the sea shore sitting at his work gathering taxes. Basically, the whole interaction and the timeline is wrong. Also, Jesus does nor say " I don't know your name to Levi"

In the movie when jesus tells Levi he will have supper with him, he is criticized and responds he will enter any house where he is welcome. In the Bible he responds, "They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

The man with palsy doesn't say anything in the Bible

LEVI is shown watching the miracle with a child on his shoulders. This is not mentioned in the Bible.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
They were outside and not in the house, in the movie he seemed to be lowered through the roof of a porch or patio.

Also, the man did not pick up his mat and go home.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As previously quoted from the Gospel of Mark, “Which is easier: to say to a paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, pick up your mat, and walk’?

Instead the movie states, "Which of these is easier, to say 'Your sins are forgiven,’ or, ‘Rise up and go home’?

That's like saying, "The Duesenberg is the finest car' or 'Would you have fries with that'?

Confused

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
the man said 20 years where it should be 38?

edited to say I think I got my stories mixed up!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Is that a bound book in Jesus's hand? I would think if he were able to read, as illustrated in Luke4:17 any writing would be in scroll form.

There was pre-Chrisitan bookbinding, but such a practice would be expensive, and quite difficult for a carpenter to obtain.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those ropes look too good. The man is fake. There is a drainage spout in the wall.

The talk of forgiveness is inspiring. I will have to watch the series in full.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post